Newbie here... Anyone else here HATE having to pose people?

1 year 10 months ago #739223 by kaneki83
I like candid photos. I like to just be in the middle of everything and get photos as it's happening. If I happen to miss something then I'll ask someone to just do it again, no problem. But I HATE posing people for photos.
Partially because it's just hard to get the vision across so I end up having to physically put people where I need them to be and I don't like disrupting personal space lmao (social anxiety is a pain in the butt) but mainly because then people tend to overthink it (understandably so, I am the same way) and the photos don't seem as natural and... immersive?
Are candid photographers a thing? I would love to be able to bring this hobby to a side hustle level but I never really try to pursue it for this reason.

1 year 10 months ago - 1 year 10 months ago #739256 by TCav
When I was a kid, my parents took my sister and I on camping trips. When we'd stop at scenic overlooks, etc., my sister and I would run off to play with the other kids, but my mother would  always call us back to pose in front of the overlook while she struggled to compose a photo with her Argus Argoflex TLR. Being posed always took the fun out of those trips.

Everything I shoot is candid for exactly that reason.

If I see someone posing in my viewfinder, I put the camera down and turn away.

1 year 10 months ago #739380 by CanonKid
Not my favorite thing about photography, but I wouldn't say I don't enjoy it.  I tolerate it would be better representation.  

Canon 7D, 15-85mm, 18-55mm, 70-200mm, 100mm Macro, Sigma 120-300mm, Speedlite 430EX II

A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office

Photo Comments
1 year 10 months ago #739392 by icepics
I've done sports and events, candid shots because it's recording images of what's happening.

I was somewhat self conscious at first coming out thru the tunnel and heads would turn... a minor pro crowd anywhere from a few to several thousand (not that many at once at one end of the arena though!). It took getting used to it. And after they'd look they seem to realize I'm not as interesting as the game. Except for kids and drunks who'd wave and I'd take their picture (of the kids at least, the drunks probably didn't know the difference! lol) since the team needed crowd shots for marketing.

Just out and about taking pictures I've had people look at me, look up and around, obviously couldn't figure out what I was photographing... Sometimes they'd ask, or not; I might nod or smile or say hi or chat a minute. I think often being a photographer involves interacting with people.

I don't really see a need to pose people if you're not doing portaits. Think about what you could say if approached, honestly in a friendly way seems the best (for me at least). Tell them that you don't do portraits, etc. Why would you take their photo if you're not providing photos to them? I don't see a need really. But you probably need to figure out if you want to learn posing (which might help if you want to do portraits eventually, to learn techniques that pro/portrait photographers use.)

Or if you enjoy candids I found it took learning and lots of practice. Lots. Then develop a professional quality portfolio, and look for opportunities. For me it started as the right person seeing my photos because I wasn't even looking for an opportunity! But when asked, I thought why not? I was going to the games anyway and I loved it.

Sharon
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024