Frame rate: 24p vs 30p?

2 months 3 weeks ago #742635 by Frisco
When it comes to recording video, which is best?  24 or 30p?  I'm getting into video and finding arguments on why to use either.  Hoping someone can help a rookie with video please.  Thank you!

Nikon 18-55mm VR, Nikon 70-200mm VRII f/2.8, Nikon 50mm f/1.8, Nikon 10.5mm Fisheye, Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8, SB-700 & SB-800
Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 3 weeks ago - 2 months 3 weeks ago #742638 by CharleyL
Most everything that I do is 30 fps, but I have the capability to go 60. You should decide the frame rate based on the final quality of your planned video. Fast moving things don't look good at slow frame rates, but higher than needed frame rates can use up memory very fast. At 60 fps, I can go through a 64 gig card in 1/2 hour. At 30 it's about an hour. I usually use 128 or 256 gig memory cards when making videos. 64 gig cards last a long time taking still photos, but are way too small for much video work.

Charley

2 months 3 weeks ago #742694 by Chester Foster
Isn't 30 closest to what is used in movies? 

2 months 3 weeks ago #742698 by CharleyL
Standard 35 mm movie film rates were 24 fps. Silent film rates were slower, as slow as 20 fps, giving the appearance of everyone in the movie almost running when the film is shown on the higher frame rate audio movie projectors. The higher frame rate was chosen to provide a better quality movie, but it was also necessary for recording the audio at an acceptable quality, which could not be done at the slower "silent" film rate. 

Charley

2 months 3 weeks ago #742726 by CharleyL
I was looking for this video comparing frame rates when I made my previous post. He explains it well.

Charley

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In this Nikon D5 vs D850 comparison, we take a look at the specs, features, and capabilities of these cameras so you can decide which one is right for you.

Sep 29, 2022

The Panasonic Lumix FZ300 is an older camera, but has modern capabilities like 4K video that make it a great option for today's photographers.

Sep 13, 2022

The Sony Alpha 7c mirrorless digital camera is a compact full frame rig that is an excellent introduction to shooting with a full frame body.

Aug 25, 2022

In this Sony Alpha a6000 mirrorless digital camera review, get the scoop on this camera's specs and features, and learn why it's a great beginner camera.

Jul 05, 2022

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Are metal prints or brushed metal prints more appropriate for your images? What differences do they offer? Find out in this detailed guide!

Nov 21, 2022

You don’t have to spend a ton of money to get a great camera for 2023. Use this guide to the best cameras under $500 to find your next camera on the cheap!

Nov 17, 2022

A professional photo book should be a cut above what you typically find. So, what should you look for when getting one? Find out in this detailed guide!

Nov 16, 2022

A custom photo book is a wonderful way to display your images for yourself or for clients. In this guide, learn about different options to consider for your images.

Nov 16, 2022

The holiday season is rapidly approaching, and that means figuring out some Christmas card ideas. Check out this list for some inspiration!

Nov 15, 2022

The Hasselblad X1D II 50C is a prime example of a great medium format camera. The question is, should you switch to medium format photography in the first place?

Nov 15, 2022

With these ideas for gifts for photographers, you can give your loved one an awesome photography gift without spending more than $100.

Nov 14, 2022

One of the best features of the Canon EOS R family of cameras is that there are many Canon EOS R lens options. Get one of these options on the cheap!

Nov 14, 2022