Do you still prefers the OVF?

1 year 5 months ago #745814 by Harrison J
As I sit here and fidget around with my D700 and D850, I'm toyed with the idea of switching to mirrorless 100%.  But for me, I can't get over of ditching my OVF.  Some say EVF delivers more real time info that is displayed.  But for me, OVF is so sharp and clean to look at.  I guess because of what I shoot most of the time, I don't need to change my settings that much.  So for me, I still prefer the OVF, what about you?

I can't be the only one?

Photo Comments
1 year 5 months ago #745816 by TCav
While the EVF does stuff like show properly exposed images when using an OVF in low light is tough, and it will show the effects of the Lens Compensations that are common with Mirrorless lenses, most of those features are already available with the 'Live View' on DSLR monitors, so you're not really buying anything.

1 year 5 months ago #745823 by db3348
Generally yes , although I occasionally switch to LCD .  

Photo Comments
1 year 5 months ago #745827 by CharleyL
I haven't accepted "mirrorless", yet. I borrowed one for a day, and gave it back, just before buying a Canon 90D recently. "Live View" on a DSLR does the same thing with a larger screen, and the 90D offers the latest in face follow focusing, etc. at a much lower price. I have always embraced new technology shortly after it became available, but "going mirror less", and at the significantly higher prices, plus the need for lens replacements or adapters, is just something that I'm not willing to do, probably until I absolutely have to. My 4 newest digital cameras are all less than 3 years old, so they shouldn't become  maintenance problems very soon. This is one step in technology at a significantly higher price that makes me wonder if I really need it. So, I think I'll be using what I have for a few more years, at least before upgrading, because I just don't see the benefits for the higher costs.

Charley

'Live View 

1 year 5 months ago #745830 by Ozzie_Traveller

CharleyL wrote: I haven't accepted "mirrorless", yet. ...... My .... cameras are all less than 3 years old, so they shouldn't become  maintenance problems very soon. This is one step in technology at a significantly higher price that makes me wonder if I really need it. So, I think I'll be using what I have for a few more years, at least before upgrading, because I just don't see the benefits for the higher costs.
Charley

G'day fellas

The change from mirror-clunker + OVF to mirrorless + EVF seems to me to be about as dramatic as film to digital was 18-20 yrs ago ie- there are big differences, big advantages and some disadvantages, along with some cost issues re- old technology vs new technology

Today's mirrorless with viewing directly off the sensor and via an EVF is little different from what I have been enjoying for 20 yrs via superzoom / bridge cameras with the same technology and the EVF.  I have seen EVF design / developments go ahead at 'rocket-speed' and today's EVFs are magic in so many ways

Certainly, 20 yrs back when I first tried EVF against my film-camera / OVF Pentax and RIcoh bodies, I had to trust that the results matched the expectations, as back then, the EVF was pretty basic when compared with today's EVF offerings

So, while I am 100% for the EVF mirrorless / viewfinder, my 100% for you blokes is "until there is a need to change, keep using your perfectly okay mirror-clunker + OVF".  Give it 3-5 yrs and your current cameras + lenses are showing their age, then by all means swap over to whatever happens to be best for you at that time

In the meantime you and I will still be subjected to advertising / media / magazine articles extolling the virtues of mirrorless + EVF + other things yet to come along .... but let it go thru to the catcher / wicket-keeper and just enjoy the equipment that you have

Hope this helps
Phil

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

1 year 5 months ago - 1 year 5 months ago #745865 by TCav

Every lens I own I bought used (save one). I couldn't do that, and can't afford to replace all my lenses with new mirrorless lenses.

I'll stick with what I've got for now.

1 year 5 months ago #745906 by Ian Stone
I use both, but mostly EVF.  Each has pros and cons, however for most of my work, EVF checks off the most amount of boxes.  

Photo Comments
1 year 5 months ago #746020 by Garbo
I prefer mirrorless cameras, but do appreciate my OVF from my old DSLR!

Nikon D300: 24-70 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 VR |Sigma 150 2.8 | 50 1.4 | SB-800
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024