Best lens cleaner for dried grease on front lense element?

1 year 3 months ago #748168 by Craig Stone
Last night I was filming some foot photography and complete missed that my lens was a little too close for the final shot.  I have grease all dried up on the front lens element.  I only have a blower and don't want to mess up my lens.  What's going to be the best cleaner to use on this?  

Photo Comments
1 year 3 months ago #748183 by TCav
Q-Tips and distilled water with a touch of Everclear ethyl alcohol.

You can buy Everclear at any liquor store.

1 year 3 months ago #748191 by Wyrick Photography
+1 use a bunch of Q-tips, wet if there is a lot of grease on your lens.

Canon 5d Mark II • Canon 24-105mm F/4.0 • Canon 135mm F/2.0 • Canon 50mm F/1.8 • Tamron 28-75mm F/2.8 • Canon 580ex ii
Photo Comments
1 year 3 months ago #748227 by Colorado Mike
I would just use a microfiber cloth, but then again an old one that I'm ready to toss.  Otherwise use the Q-tips as what ever you use will need to be washed or tossed.  

Photo Comments
1 year 3 months ago - 1 year 3 months ago #748234 by TCav
No dry method will remove the grease. If anything, it will only smear it around.

Q-Tips soaked in distilled water with a touch of ethyl alcohol (Everclear) will loosen and remove the grease.

DO NOT use straight ethyl alcohol as it will dissolve the cotton on the Q-Tips.

Do not use isopropyl alcohol as it often contains additives that add color and/or make it taste bad so people won't die from drinking it. While the alcohol will evaporate, the additives won't.

1 year 3 months ago #748238 by TCav
Don't scrub with the Q-Tip.

As you run the Q-Tip over the grease, starting at the center of the lens, swipe toward the edge. Rotate the Q-tip in the opposite direction to raise the grease off the lens. Do this a few times, then throw the Q-Tip away and repeat with another. Repeat until the lens is clean.

1 year 3 months ago #748239 by Colorado Mike

TCav wrote: No dry method will remove the grease. If anything, it will only smear it around.

Q-Tips soaked in distilled water with a touch of ethyl alcohol (Everclear) will loosen and remove the grease.

DO NOT use straight ethyl alcohol as it will dissolve the cotton on the Q-Tips.

Do not use isopropyl alcohol as it often contains additives that add color and/or make it taste bad so people won't die from drinking it. While the alcohol will evaporate, the additives won't.

Yep, I was going to edit my post above, but will comment on yours as you had me thinking my response was incomplete and technically not spot on.  Warm water on microfiber cloth is what you want.  

Photo Comments
1 year 2 months ago #748305 by Raymond Z

TCav wrote: Q-Tips and distilled water with a touch of Everclear ethyl alcohol.

You can buy Everclear at any liquor store.

Ha, you talking about that 157 proof stuff?  I have not heard of this stuff since I was in college.  Strong stuff!!

Photo Comments
1 year 2 months ago #748328 by Mayo
LOL I would have used my t-shirt!  

Canon 5D - Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 | Canon 70-200 f/4L
Photo Comments
1 year 2 months ago - 1 year 2 months ago #748337 by TCav

Raymond Z wrote: Ha, you talking about that 157 proof stuff?  I have not heard of this stuff since I was in college.  Strong stuff!!

Everclear is 190 proof. That's 95% pure ethyl alcohol. The other 5% is distilled water.

According to the manufacturer, Everclear "should be viewed as an unfinished ingredient". I know people who use it to make their own Kahlua. I use it for cleaning.

diywitheverclear.com/

1 year 2 months ago #748361 by Petroguy
And people drank that?! ha ha ha

1 year 2 months ago #748362 by TCav

Petroguy wrote: And people drank that?! ha ha ha

A quick way to die.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_intoxication#Management

Everclear is an ingredient in many homegrown recipes, but is not and should not be consumed neat.

1 year 2 months ago #748476 by Tristan R
Always use t-shirt, don't judge :rofl:

Photo Comments
1 year 2 months ago #749306 by Petroguy

TCav wrote:

Petroguy wrote: And people drank that?! ha ha ha

A quick way to die.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_intoxication#Management

Everclear is an ingredient in many homegrown recipes, but is not and should not be consumed neat.

The things we did when young!  Not any more.  That ship has long sailed. 

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024