Not sure what to do with Brutus

1 year 1 month ago #749327 by Esseff
Brutus is my Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary. Thing is, when I bought it I was still using my Canon 90D which has an EF-S mount. Brutus has an EF mount which I believe to be Canon's full frame mount. So the Sigma is made for a full frame camera.

Some months back I switched to a Sony mirrorless and wanted to continue using Brutus. I bought the Sigma MC-11 adaptor that bridges the EF mount on the lens to the the FE mount on the Sony. This adds extra length between the lens and I have played around with various settings to try and determine what effect (if any) the adaptor has on picture quality/resolution. Long story short: I'm not seeing anything (other than the smaller resolution and zooming in when shooting in APS-C mode) that would be considered a loss in quality. However someone recently said I should have the lens converted to an FE mount so I can leave out the adaptor but never said why. Can anyone fill in the blank? Apart from shortening it by an about an inch is there any other benefit to do the conversion?

TIA

1 year 1 month ago #749335 by TCav
Sigma will change the mount on one of their lenses if you change camera brands, but that for when you're changing from a Canon dSLR to a Nikon dSLR, where Sigma makes the same lens for both camera brands. Sigma doesn't make the 150-600 for the Sony FE mount, so I don't think they can change the mount for you on that particular lens.

1 year 1 month ago - 1 year 1 month ago #749336 by Esseff

TCav wrote: Sigma will change the mount on one of their lenses if you change camera brands, but that for when you're changing from a Canon dSLR to a Nikon dSLR, where Sigma makes the same lens for both camera brands.

I just found that this is exactly the case. One lens with different mounts. The EF mount on the lens is for Canon's full frame DSLRs, the adaptor merely steps it down to Sony FE. Slightly narrower field of view but I'm still getting full resolution so no harm no foul.

TCav wrote: Sigma doesn't make the 150-600 for the Sony FE mount

Actually they do. See HERE .

Thanks for the reply!! :thumbsup:

1 year 1 month ago #749337 by TCav

Esseff wrote:

TCav wrote: Sigma doesn't make the 150-600 for the Sony FE mount

Actually they do. See HERE .

I stand corrected.

But I don't think its the same lens as yours.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024