High winds and reflectors during outdoor photo shoots?

1 year 1 month ago #749889 by Bump N More
How are you keeping your reflectors and lights anchored in place when winds pick up during photo shoots that are outdoors?  

Photo Comments
1 year 1 month ago #749892 by Steve Zahra
I have 4 sand bags I keep in my trunk that I bungee cord to bottom of my tripod 

Photo Comments
1 year 1 month ago #749893 by Nefarious
Wedging rocks or my camera bag on tripod bottom or legs 

Photo Comments
1 year 1 month ago #749927 by Rawley Photos
LOL I'm more getto then you all.  I have grocery bag with rocks in it under my tripod.  Looks silly, but works if I can find rocks. 

Photo Comments
1 year 1 month ago #749939 by Carter Gledhill
I'll use a bungee cord strapped to my camera bag.  It works, but a PITA when I need to get other items out of my bag

1 year 4 weeks ago #750046 by Eliffman
Wedge camera bag against one of the legs, I find the hooks under the center nearly worthless.  

Photo Comments
1 year 4 weeks ago #750111 by Robert Chen
That’s why I’ll have an assistant with me on certain shoots.We live in a windy area and I’ve learned the hard way far to any times than I care to admit.  

Nikon D300 24-70mm f2.8
70-200mm f2.8
50mm f1.4 & 50mm f1.8
105mm f2.8
2 SB800

Photo Comments
1 year 4 weeks ago #750190 by CharleyL
All of the previous suggestions work to some degree, and I've used them all, but sometimes nothing will hold your photo gear in place. Good luck, or sometimes cancelling for another day is the best decision.

I always carry several pair of boot laces, preferably black or brown, that I have used for tying things down. I have added a 1/4-20 threaded "eye nut" to the bottom 1/4-20 bolt of the center post of my tripod (not all tripods have them), so I can quickly clip my camera bag or sand bag to it with a "D" ring, but have also resorted to tying it down to a big rock with a boot lace a few times. Boot laces of about 42" are easy to find (I carry 3-5 pair). Black Parachute Cord of about 3/16" diameter is available in Walmart and other places, and it works well too, but needs cutting and melting of the ends to prevent fraying, where the boot laces don't. "A-clamps" carried with you sometimes help too.

Minimizing the size and placement of lights, soft boxes, and reflectors is usually the best way to deal with the wind. The boot laces or parachute cord gets used to tie light stands to big rocks, railings, fence posts, stakes driven into the ground, etc. Gaffer tape sometimes helps here too, as stands are slippery.

Need a reflector ? How about a white building wall. Need light ? - how about better use of the Sun, maybe with an assistant or willing volunteer holding a large folding scrim to spread and soften the Sunlight on the subject.

They make water weights for pop-up Sun shelters and these are light for transport, but can be filled with water at the location for the needed weight. Consider empty plastic gallon jugs as a cheap alternative. Cheaper yet, are grocery bags with small rocks filling them at the shoot location, and then the rocks returned to their places after the shoot. Don't carry heavy sand or rock filled sand bags a long distance to an outdoor shoot. Carry them empty and fill them on location with something heavy at the location. Return these items to their origin after the shoot and carry out the empty sand bags.

A hand full of "D" rings brought with you can frequently help to hold the sand bags in place. Don't forget Gaffer tape. You most certainly will need it for something, if not to hold the sand bag alternative to the stands.

A few pieces of white foam core board make great and disposable reflectors that can be held by your assistant, by a volunteer assistant (almost every shoot has a few watching), or maybe clipped to an extra stand or two, (if you brought them with you).

Butterfly lighting seems to be the rage now, and I don't have one of those fancy "U" shaped photography reflectors, but I do have 3 pieces of 13 X 20" white foam core board taped together end to end, so it folds in a "Z" shape for travel. Opening, and then having an assistant or your subject hold this as a sort-of U shaped reflector in front of the subject makes a pretty good reflector for Butterfly Lighting and has worked well for me. It survives better in the wind than an expensive wide U shaped factory made Butterfly reflector too. If it should get damaged, you can repair or make a whole new one quite easily and reasonably. 

Charley

1 year 3 weeks ago #750268 by Roy Wilson
Weights or sandbags, not much else you can do

Canon 5D Mark II, 30D, 40D, 50 1.2L, 16-35 2.8L Mark II, 24-105 4L IS, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L IS, 85 1.8, 4 x 580 EX(II)
Photo Comments
1 year 3 weeks ago #750322 by Ian Stone
You should see some of the winds we get here, horrible.  I have a friend who I use to hold my lights and reflectors because I have lost a number of these from winds over the years.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024