How to prevent dust on photo gear stored on shelves?

1 year 3 weeks ago #750886 by Foxtrot Whiskey
I've noticed many folks keeping their camera equipment on shelves, and I'm quite fond of the concept. But when I gave it a shot, dust piled up really fast, and some even got past the lens caps onto the front elements. So, I just put everything back in my camera bag. Is there some secret to maintaining cleanliness that I'm missing?

1 year 3 weeks ago #750895 by CharleyL
Barrister Bookcases have glass doors to close over the fronts, reducing the air flow within but allowing view of the contents. This significantly reduces Sunlight and dust on the contents. Many law firms have these for their law library books and are readily available for home use, but I see nothing wrong with keeping your gear in their bags while on a shelf.

If you are like me and like to display a little history, then having things on display is important, but for me it's only my "old and not likely ever to be used again gear" that I keep for conversation pieces and nostalgia, that sit in the open.  Yes, they do get dusty, so I try to dust them about once a month. My present good cameras sit on top of a small metal tool chest with wheels located camera left in my studio, with one more camera in my field bag. They rarely get put in bags unless I will be using them out of the studio. Dust? My studio AC system keeps dust and temperature changes to a very minimum. The two main cameras that are left out do get wiped off with a microfiber cloth frequently, but they get used too frequently to be kept in their bags.

Before owning a studio, my camera and gear was stored hanging from the wall in the left end of my bedroom closet. Back then, I only had one camera bag, a few stands and lights, and a backdrop stand, with a couple of backdrops in plastic bags on the shelf. My living room usually doubled as my studio when it was needed.

Charley

1 year 2 weeks ago #750944 by Zach Mosher
I don’t keep my gear sitting on shelf, all mine are kept in camera bags.  

Photo Comments
11 months 2 weeks ago #752182 by Miss Polly
I keep my gear in my bag most of the time regardless.  The problem even in closets or cabinets is dust will find a way to get in.  

Photo Comments
11 months 2 weeks ago #752210 by CharleyL
Zipper Lock type plastic bags work great for storage on shelves if not needing to be displayed. I keep folded backdrops and props of all kinds in these bags. It's easy to see what is inside, but the sealed bag keeps fabric from yellowing, props and gear from getting dusty. I keep at least one box of each size up to 3 gallon size available in my studio closet. For keeping cameras, etc. on display, a filtered HVAC system keeps the settling type dust level down really well, but there is always some. Then there are Barrister's Bookcases, closed in shelves with glass doors (think lawer's library type cases) that are available. With the face door closed, very little air can circulate to bring dust and sudden humidity changes in to affect what is stored inside, yet you can see it easily through the glass door.

Anything sitting open on a table or shelf will get dusty, but less if in HVAC. For these, I keep microfiber dust cloths handy, and wipe them down at least weekly.

Charley

11 months 5 days ago #752563 by Hoss
Keep your gear in your camera bag till needed

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024