Does anyone know of a free photo editing software that allows you to overlay?

11 months 4 weeks ago #751704 by Leilanee
I used to love adding textures to my photos. I have a lightroom subscription, but it constantly tells me my textures are incompatible with my photos and won't let me merge/overlay them. As far as I know there's no way to override this, so I can't use Lightroom to add textures to my photos.

I'm not paying $30/month for photoshop considering I'm an extremely casual hobbyist; I've only just started using my camera for the first time in like 6 years. Every app I look at in the app store has an overlay option locked behind a paywall. Is anyone aware of an app I can use where I won't have to pay to do a simple overlay?

The closest I could find was Adobe Express, but there's no erase tool in the free version, and I would prefer to be able to erase elements of the photos.
I'm fairly certain the functionality I'm looking for is something I'm going to need to pay for but if I can avoid it that would be great considering my Lightroom subscription is enough money spent.

11 months 4 weeks ago #751714 by Ira Weber
You'll want to look at Gimp, I'm near certain that has what you are after.  

Photo Comments
11 months 4 weeks ago #751720 by Rawley Photos
There are several free or lower-cost alternatives to Photoshop that you can use for basic photo editing and overlaying textures. Here are a few options you might consider:
  1. GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program): GIMP is a powerful and free open-source image editor that offers many of the features found in Photoshop. It supports layers and layer masks, which will allow you to overlay textures and erase elements easily. You can download GIMP from its official website ( https://www.gimp.org/ ).
  2. Krita: Krita is another free, open-source digital painting and image editing software. It's primarily aimed at digital painters but also has excellent support for photo editing, including layer management and various blending modes. Download Krita from its official website ( https://krita.org/en/ ).
  3. Paint.NET: Paint.NET is a free Windows-based image editing software with support for layers, blending modes, and other essential photo editing features. It's less powerful than GIMP or Krita but might be sufficient for your needs. Download Paint.NET from its official website ( https://www.getpaint.net/ ).
  4. Pixlr: Pixlr is a free online photo editor that works in your browser, meaning you don't need to download any software. It offers a decent set of tools, including layers and blending modes, which should allow you to overlay textures on your photos. Access Pixlr here: ( https://pixlr.com/ ).
These tools should be sufficient for your casual hobbyist needs. Each option has its learning curve, but once you're familiar with the interface and tools, you'll be able to add textures to your photos without needing to pay for additional software.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ozzie_Traveller
11 months 4 weeks ago - 11 months 4 weeks ago #751739 by Leilanee
Thanks all, GIMP may be the answer but that is the most ghastly user interface I've seen in the 20-odd years I've been at this. I can't even figure out how to get my file uploads in the extension itself, it's just a constant loop of opening google drive and then getting redirected to a grammarly ad.
I'll check out the other apps listed but at this point I'm sick of installing and uninstalling photo apps from the app store... now to try to figure out how to get rid of GIMP before it installs all the malware in the world onto my laptop...

Edit: paint.net seems to be GIMP with a better interface. It does exactly what I wanted it to!

11 months 3 weeks ago #751807 by CharleyL
Affinity Photo is very close to Adobe Photoshop in general appearance, has most of the same tools, and in some ways is better than Photoshop. It's a one time charge (at the time that I bought in) of $50 + another $50 for the hard cover manual. It's tools and layout are very similar to Photoshop, so most of your experience with Photoshop will carry over to using Infinity. For this purchase, they have been sending me free upgrades too. They offer all of the other companion programs like Adobe, though I have found very little use for them for my needs. I've been using the free Canon user software for download from the camera and minor tweaking, that looks and works much like is provided by Lightroom and Capture 1. You have to be a Canon camera user (requires camera model/serial number) to get this download though.

Adobe and I parted ways about 3 years ago when their CS got subcontracted and the subcontract staff couldn't speak clear English. I had been an Adobe customer since 1998, but they didn't care. I'm not good at interpreting Pakistani/English, or whatever it was. 

Charley

11 months 3 weeks ago #751843 by TCav
Isn't "overlay" just another word for "layers"? Instead of placing the texture over an area, you remove the area and place the texture in a layer behind the area, right?

Try Irfanview .

11 months 3 weeks ago #751865 by CharleyL
Irfanview, though a very handy program for photo processing, does not have a very workable "layers capability". I've been using Irfanview for 23 years and find it very handy, but not for this need.

Charley

11 months 3 weeks ago #751906 by Leilanee
Yes, overlay just means adding a layer.
In Lightroom, if the photos you're trying to merge aren't the exact same dimensions, it won't let you merge them, so they basically need to be shot with the same camera. Any other application I could find charges a fee for layers, but paint.net allows layers for free, and you can overlay photos of different sizes and then just re-size the texture.

11 months 3 weeks ago #751947 by Happy Hour
Did you try Gimp yet?

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024