Always watch your camera gear! Caught someone trying to take mine today!!

11 months 1 week ago #752332 by Uplander
Close call for me today.  A buddy and I were photographing some street photography, both of us had our camera bags on a bench as we were talking and shooting cars driving by.  3 teens walked by twice, and came back one additional time, except this time fanned out and the one closest to the bags grabbed mine and tried hiding it in front of himself.  My buddy who happens to be black belt and ex football player saw and grabbed the teen, then my camera bag.  The two other kids ran off, leaving the one in our custody, who then started to cry.  We let him go with a stern warning.  

Damn, this could have been a horrible ending to a day!

Photo Comments
11 months 1 week ago #752335 by Razky

Uplander wrote: Close call for me today. A buddy and I were photographing some street photography, both of us had our camera bags on a bench as we were talking and shooting cars driving by. 3 teens walked by twice, and came back one additional time, except this time fanned out and the one closest to the bags grabbed mine and tried hiding it in front of himself. My buddy who happens to be black belt and ex football player saw and grabbed the teen, then my camera bag. The two other kids ran off, leaving the one in our custody, who then started to cry. We let him go with a stern warning.  

You taught him a lesson by letting him go - he'll likely be more successful next time.

11 months 1 week ago #752337 by Uplander

Razky wrote:

Uplander wrote: Close call for me today. A buddy and I were photographing some street photography, both of us had our camera bags on a bench as we were talking and shooting cars driving by. 3 teens walked by twice, and came back one additional time, except this time fanned out and the one closest to the bags grabbed mine and tried hiding it in front of himself. My buddy who happens to be black belt and ex football player saw and grabbed the teen, then my camera bag. The two other kids ran off, leaving the one in our custody, who then started to cry. We let him go with a stern warning.  

You taught him a lesson by letting him go - he'll likely be more successful next time.

Perhaps so. I'm going to be optimistic and believe the kid learned a valuable lesson.  

Photo Comments
11 months 6 days ago #752433 by CharleyL
I have a habit of stepping through one of the handles/shoulder straps of my camera bags when I set them on the ground to take pictures. In 65 years I have not had anyone try to take my camera bag, but then I'm quite careful about where I go when carrying a camera. I also make it a habit of zipping closed, or mostly closed any of the pockets of the camera bag to keep items inside more secure from "quick grab and run" artists. 

Charley

11 months 3 days ago #752517 by Screamin Scott
I've never had a "snatch and run" scenario like this happen to me. I've always kept my gear close to me. That said, I did lose almost all of my camera gear during a burglary back in 1980... I got better insurance protection after that. 

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
11 months 1 day ago #752579 by JaneK
I would have walked the kid to his parents, then let him go. But let his parents discipline him.  

Photo Comments
10 months 4 weeks ago #752653 by Zach Mosher
+1 same here.  My gear is always right by my side!  

Now I 100% agree with Jane, should have brought the kid back to his parents and let his parents discipline him.  When I was a kid I got caught stealing candy from a local mom and pop store, they called up my parents and had them come and get me.  I will say this, I was 11 years old and I never stole again.  

Photo Comments
10 months 3 weeks ago #752742 by Nefarious
I'm all for second chances, but with a kid like that, I would have 100% roped in his parents as they are likely the ones who would be more accountable.   

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024