70-200mm with closeup filter enough to capture mosquitoes up and close?

10 months 3 weeks ago #752877 by Will Thomas
I want to photograph mosquitoes and currently have a 70-200mm, if I get a closeup filter, will that be enough to get up and close to capture sharp images of a mosquito?  

10 months 3 weeks ago #752879 by Screamin Scott
Unlikely. Especially with the cheap single diopter 3 pc set. That said, it all depends on what you find acceptable...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
10 months 3 weeks ago #752881 by TCav
For that, you'll need a macro lens and either a teleconverter or exension tubes.

Even good close-up lenses will decrease the contrast significantly in order to get the magnification you'll need. And even cheap close-up lenses big enough for a 70-200 lens will be expensive.

10 months 3 weeks ago #752929 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Will

As someone who regularly uses close-up lenses onto zoom lens may I respond ...
1)- firstly the item is NOT a filter because it does not alter the colour or tone of the image, -and- it is curved causing the focus to be set by the curvature of the glass.  The item is a Close-up Lens !
2)- As to actual close-up lenses, regrettably there are damn-awful cheapies out there and also some real-beaut-mate ones out there.  For a good lens, expect to pay $1 per mm of diameter for a single-element lens and maybe $1,50 per mm for a 2-element lens
3)- For your 70-200 I would recommend a "+2 dioptre lens which will focus at 1/2-metre max to 1/3-metre minimum"
4)- I do not know the mm filter-size of your lens so can't offer much beyond 'look at genuine / well known brands

Hope this helps ... with close-up image using a close-up lens attached for comparison. The subject is the Aussie "Golden Orb" / Nephila spider, female in its web.  Lens to subject distance 'about 1/3-metre'
Phil

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Attachments:
10 months 3 weeks ago - 10 months 3 weeks ago #752960 by Razky

Will Thomas wrote: I want to photograph mosquitoes and currently have a 70-200mm, if I get a closeup filter, will that be enough to get up and close to capture sharp images of a mosquito?  

The correct term is close-up lens, or diopter (it doesn't filter anything.)
Edit: Wrote that before reading Ozzie's explanation - my apologies, Oz.
You'd be better off using a reversed prime lens of from, say, 20 to 50mm, probably combined with an extension tube or two or, better yet, on a bellows - you're talking some pretty tall magnification ratios here.

10 months 3 weeks ago - 10 months 3 weeks ago #752964 by TCav
A good many 70-200mm lenses are quite sharp in the center of the composition throughout their zoom range, but the sharpness often tends to fall off as you examine the image closer to the edges and corners.

Unfortunately, many close-up lenses, even expensive ones, suffer from the same lack of sharpness the farther from the center you look, compounding the corner softness inherent in the lens they're used with.

Macro lenses, on the other hand, are excellent at producing images that are sharp edge-to-edge, and extension tubes don't change that.

If you're only concerned about center sharpness, then you might be satisfied with good (expensive) close-up lenses. But if your intended subject will occupy more than just the center of the image, then close-up lenses on your current conventional lens(es) will not serve you well.

10 months 3 weeks ago - 10 months 3 weeks ago #752973 by TCav
I just checked Adorama. All 70-200mm lenses use either 72, 77 or 82mm filters.

This is a link to all of Adorama's 72, 77 and 82mm close up lenses:

www.adorama.com/l/Photography/Lens-Filte...=close%2Bup%2Bfilter

I would skip over the Vivitar ones.

10 months 3 weeks ago #753048 by Roman Omell
Better off getting a 105mm or 100mm macro lens

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024