Client wants a refund on a print from 15 months ago

10 months 3 weeks ago #752916 by Andy Gladwell
OK, this is officially the strangest call I've had in some time.  Long story short a client just called me about a print that they got from me (which was drop shipped) FROM a print shop they wanted to go with!  Well the print has warped a little and they are asking for a refund from me.  Which of course I can't help chuckle to myself.  They wanted to go with this print shop because of the price point, they didn't want to go with mine because Millers and Canvas HQ was to expensive for them.  I told them, they need to contact the print company, that this is out of my hands.  

Seriously though, have you had any situations like this? 

10 months 3 weeks ago #752924 by icepics
Besides them following up with the print shop they chose, maybe offer to get a new print from Millers (or wherever). The thing about drop shipping is if you didn't see the actual print that was sent.

I'd think about what's in your contract to cover this type situation so it's clear that if a client uses a printer they choose that isn't one that you use, it would be up to them to handle it if they aren't happy with the prints. After their experience maybe they'd want to pay for a nice quality print that you could provide.

Sharon
Photo Comments
10 months 3 weeks ago #752926 by Andy Gladwell

icepics wrote: Besides them following up with the print shop they chose, maybe offer to get a new print from Millers (or wherever). The thing about drop shipping is if you didn't see the actual print that was sent.

I'd think about what's in your contract to cover this type situation so it's clear that if a client uses a printer they choose that isn't one that you use, it would be up to them to handle it if they aren't happy with the prints. After their experience maybe they'd want to pay for a nice quality print that you could provide.

Oh I'm happy to send the image over to them, although they have it already.  But they war trying to get a refund for me on the actual print.  A print they paid the print company directly.  I told them from the start they would be happier at one of those shops I was recommending, they decided to go with who they did. 

10 months 3 weeks ago #752954 by Esseff

Andy Gladwell wrote:

icepics wrote: Besides them following up with the print shop they chose, maybe offer to get a new print from Millers (or wherever). The thing about drop shipping is if you didn't see the actual print that was sent.

Oh I'm happy to send the image over to them, although they have it already.  But they war trying to get a refund for me on the actual print.  A print they paid the print company directly.  I told them from the start they would be happier at one of those shops I was recommending, they decided to go with who they did. 

Not really your problem. They need to take it up with the printer. Maybe make an exception if you do a ton of work for them, but it doesn't sound like that's the case. They can't in any way hold you responsible for the print.

10 months 3 weeks ago #752963 by Razky

Andy Gladwell wrote: OK, this is officially the strangest call I've had in some time.  Long story short a client just called me about a print that they got from me (which was drop shipped) FROM a print shop they wanted to go with!  Well the print has warped a little and they are asking for a refund from me.  Which of course I can't help chuckle to myself. They wanted to go with this print shop because of the price point, they didn't want to go with mine because Millers and Canvas HQ was to expensive for them.  I told them, they need to contact the print company, that this is out of my hands.  

If I didn't have sense enough to see (and approve) the print before the client paid for it, I would do the decent thing and give them the refund.

10 months 3 weeks ago #753010 by Rudy Silvo

Razky wrote:

Andy Gladwell wrote: OK, this is officially the strangest call I've had in some time.  Long story short a client just called me about a print that they got from me (which was drop shipped) FROM a print shop they wanted to go with!  Well the print has warped a little and they are asking for a refund from me.  Which of course I can't help chuckle to myself. They wanted to go with this print shop because of the price point, they didn't want to go with mine because Millers and Canvas HQ was to expensive for them.  I told them, they need to contact the print company, that this is out of my hands.  

If I didn't have sense enough to see (and approve) the print before the client paid for it, I would do the decent thing and give them the refund.

LOL Right

Photo Comments
10 months 3 weeks ago #753097 by Matt Benton
I would provide them with the image and have them to contact the print company seeing they selected them. 

Photo Comments
10 months 2 weeks ago #753115 by Screamin Scott
I would have done exactly as you did. I'm assuming you have seen the warped print? Sounds like they are just trying to get money back from you when you are not to blame...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
10 months 2 weeks ago #753127 by CharleyL
That's between them and their print service. They chose them, so you aren't responsible at all for the quality.

Charley

10 months 2 weeks ago #753238 by Missy J
The nerve of some.  I would remind them, this is why you wanted to use your print company.  And as a good will gesture (and score points with them) you'll help them get their print done right this time.  

Photo Comments
10 months 2 weeks ago #753239 by Missy J

CharleyL wrote: That's between them and their print service. They chose them, so you aren't responsible at all for the quality.

Charley

:agree:  100% agree

Photo Comments
10 months 2 weeks ago #753282 by Owen
They are out of their minds.  But I see your point about the response you gave.  Hopefully that will result in further business from them later down the line.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024