How are you keeping a client with a bad temper in check and being respectful?

6 months 3 weeks ago #756826 by Barbara Fite
I have a woman client who I have been photographing her boys for 6 years and during the last couple years she has become more and more difficult to deal with.  I don't know if she has something on with work, but she is often rude and have come close to being disrespectful.  How do you put these sort of people in check without ticking them off and triggering something unpleasent? 

Photo Comments
6 months 3 weeks ago - 6 months 3 weeks ago #756870 by Razky

Barbara Fite wrote: I have a woman client who I have been photographing her boys for 6 years and during the last couple years she has become more and more difficult to deal with. I don't know if she has something on with work, but she is often rude and have come close to being disrespectful. How do you put these sort of people in check without ticking them off and triggering something unpleasent? 

Sounds like a question for a psychologist. And as usual, we only know one side of the story - there very well may be a reason for the lady's behaviour.

6 months 2 weeks ago #756886 by Hassner
The best tip that was given to me, is to lovingly put your had on their shoulder, arm or take their hand in both your hands and ask: “Is everything okay?” When they want to brush it off, you can reply by: “You are projecting a lot of stress onto me. Are you sure?"

All people do not want to be asses, but their lack of skills dealing with stress, hate, trauma makes them take it out onto others. We do not have to make it ours, but we are sometimes scared to stand our ground. Make them feel they deal with a loving understanding person and be ready to someone that might open up or hopefully she just apologises and you can continue work.  

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
6 months 2 weeks ago #756895 by CharleyL
"The best tip that was given to me, is to lovingly put your had on their shoulder, arm or take their hand in both your hands and ask: “Is everything okay?” When they want to brush it off, you can reply by: “You are projecting a lot of stress onto me. Are you sure?

All people do not want to be asses, but their lack of skills dealing with stress, hate, trauma makes them take it out onto others. We do not have to make it ours, but we are sometimes scared to stand our ground. Make them feel they deal with a loving understanding person and be ready to someone that might open up or hopefully she just apologises and you can continue work."

I like this tip from Hassner. It, or something close, in your own words should go a long way to de-fuse the hostility, yet maintain friendship of your customer.

Charley

The following user(s) said Thank You: Hassner
6 months 2 weeks ago #757002 by Jim Photo
OP, CharleyL and Hassner gave the best advice/answer for you here.  I have nothing further I would add.  Good input there.   

Photo Comments
4 months 2 weeks ago #759253 by Nathan D
I filter them out in the first interview.  I don't put myself in any position I don't want.  

Photo Comments
4 months 2 weeks ago #759256 by Esseff

Razky wrote: Sounds like a question for a psychologist. And as usual, we only know one side of the story - there very well may be a reason for the lady's behaviour.

What kind of answer is that? :rolleyes

Who cares what the client's issues are or how many sides of the story there are? The OP doesn't like how she is being treated and is asking for advice on how to handle the client. The OP isn't responsible for the clients personal problems.

@barbara Fite:
When dealing with clients, suppliers, my bosses and those under me I keep it professional. When someone steps out of line I tell them, just like they tell me (we all have 'those days') when I cross the line. Most people are mature enough to handle it, those that can't can stay gone, it's better for everyone else.

4 months 2 weeks ago #759307 by Razky

Esseff wrote:

Razky wrote: Sounds like a question for a psychologist. And as usual, we only know one side of the story - there very well may be a reason for the lady's behaviour.

Who cares what the client's issues are or how many sides of the story there are?

Anyone who wishes to make an intelligent assessment of the issue.

4 months 2 weeks ago #759348 by Jessy Page

Esseff wrote:

Who cares what the client's issues are or how many sides of the story there are? The OP doesn't like how she is being treated and is asking for advice on how to handle the client. The OP isn't responsible for the clients personal problems.

@barbara Fite:
When dealing with clients, suppliers, my bosses and those under me I keep it professional. When someone steps out of line I tell them, just like they tell me (we all have 'those days') when I cross the line. Most people are mature enough to handle it, those that can't can stay gone, it's better for everyone else.

:agree:   Great post 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024