Are cameras DEAD? iPhone 15 Pro Max vs $10,000 CAMERA

6 months 2 weeks ago #757016 by Brenda Dantzig
OK, I don't have the newest iPhone and don't think I'll be buying it.  But wow, these shots look really good!

Photo Comments
6 months 2 weeks ago #757126 by CanonKid
Entertaining video and not to discredit what phones have become, just saying professional cameras are hardly going anywhere.  

Canon 7D, 15-85mm, 18-55mm, 70-200mm, 100mm Macro, Sigma 120-300mm, Speedlite 430EX II

A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office

Photo Comments
6 months 2 weeks ago - 6 months 2 weeks ago #757130 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Brenda

As a bit of fun, take your best phone camera + your 'good' camera side by side to somewhere local, shoot 2 identical-as-you-can-make-it images then print them as 16" wide (or larger) prints.  You will then see the real difference between the two systems

One of the other tricks used by (some / all) ? phone cameras is to increase image contrast to create an apparent increase in sharpness when compared with 'regular' cameras

I have done this with my phone (I won't mention brands here coz it will open up a can of worms with other brands of phone and people here) and my regular camera and its 24mm lens (to match the phone angle-of-view), and the comparison / difference is very easy to see

Phil

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

6 months 1 week ago #757224 by Carry
I'm holding out for the 1" sensor in a smart phone :banana:

Photo Comments
6 months 1 week ago #757323 by STICKY
NO.

6 months 1 week ago #757325 by Zach Mosher
Hardly, seeing tech in our cameras keeps moving forward and advancing as well 

Photo Comments
6 months 6 days ago #757367 by Randy Shaw
These sort of videos always crack me up.  We get it, smartphone cameras are getting good.  But most serious photographers would cringe to the idea of giving up their cameras and using their iPhones full time. 

Photo Comments
6 months 5 days ago #757430 by Fran Welch
They are all tools, one does one thing and the other does another thing.  

Photo Comments
6 months 3 days ago #757531 by Uplander
You can keep the iPhone, I’ll take the Canon R5!  

Photo Comments
6 months 1 day ago #757572 by EOS_Fan
Exactly.  These sort of videos while entertaining are a bit silly in the big picture.  

Photo Comments
5 months 4 weeks ago #757656 by Photo Amigo
Yeah, no kidding.   I'll take the R5 any day of the week!

5 months 3 weeks ago #757798 by CharleyL
Cell phone cameras are todays Point-and- Shoot cameras. No manual adjustments, and designed around getting the best possible shot in average light. Our modern pro cameras give us adjustments to allow all kinds of photography and with changeable lenses too. (Yeah, I've seen the add-on lenses for cell phones). I have and use the camera in my cell phone when a quick snap shot is needed, but use my real cameras for the more difficult or higher resolution shots are needed. 

An example - You can't take the attached shot using a cell phone camera, because the cell phone tries to make the shot brighter and add contrast. Proper lighting and manual camera adjustments are needed to get it right.

Charley

Attachments:
5 months 3 weeks ago #757808 by Greg Friedman
"Cell phone cameras are todays Point-and- Shoot cameras"

:agree: such a good statement!  Everyone is always overlooking this fact, the cell phone killed the point and shoot market because its fits the same shoe.  Not quite the same as DLS or mirrorless, but it's small and always with you and capable of taking very good photos for what it is.  

Photo Comments
5 months 3 weeks ago #757935 by Pete Franko
Can the new iPhone take excellent photos? Absolutely, the image quality is impressive for what it is.  But this video title is a bit clickbait and far from the case. 

Photo Comments
5 months 2 weeks ago #758252 by NickSano
I'm rolling my eyes.  These sort of videos are just rubbish  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024