Help fixing softness in flash portraits

8 months 2 weeks ago #758111 by brianhopkins88
Hi - I'm a wildlife photographer that got into flash and family portraits just a few years ago, but sometimes my faces are out of focus or soft. I thought that with a flash, that isn't supposed to happen, even when your shutter speed is lower that it should be. Can't figure out what the problem is, because other times that seem identical, everything is tack sharp. Check this photo out. I was shooting with an off camera speedlight 600 RT in a magmod Octabox 24 at about 10 feet away. Why would the mom be sharp that the baby be blurry? They are in the same focus plane, baby's face was moving but shouldn't the flash have frozen that? I was shooting on a 70-200 @ 115 mm 1/80 f5.0 ETTL and there appears to be plenty of flash. At some point I turned ETTL down to -3.0 because the batteries were going and it was over flashing, but I can't remember if it was before or after this shot. I should have turned to manual switched batteries but this was a precious moment so I just turned a fired. Anyway have many more like this and it has happened in other shoots. Can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Thanks. 

Photo Comments
Attachments:
8 months 4 days ago #758604 by Whynaut
Perhaps move to f/8 or f/11 and where do you have your focus set too?  

8 months 4 days ago #758617 by Garbo
+1 increase aperture to f/11 or f/13 should do the trick 

Nikon D300: 24-70 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 VR |Sigma 150 2.8 | 50 1.4 | SB-800
Photo Comments
8 months 3 days ago #758669 by Stanly
+1 bump up your aperture and you should be good

Nikon Z6 | Nikon FM10 | Nikon D80 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8D | Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR | 35-105mm f/3.5 Macro | 80-200mm f/4.5 | SB600 | Pocket Wizard II
Photo Comments
8 months 1 day ago #758695 by Ontherocks
Agree, aperture and point of focus seems to be off. Shift and I bet that fixes everything

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sigma DP2 Quattro is a rare breed. It’s a large-sensor point-and-shoot camera with a 29MP sensor and a 30mm f/2.8 fixed lens. The question is, who is this camera for? Let’s find out!

Jul 17, 2024

I’ve been testing the Vanguard VEO 5 264CB-160S for several weeks now, and I have to say that my first impressions are nothing but good. Vanguard has knocked it out of the park yet again!

Jul 01, 2024

The Fujifilm X-H2s is Fuji’s flagship hybrid APS-C mirrorless camera. It launched in the summer of 2022 and has been impressing photographers and videographers alike ever since!

Jun 17, 2024

The Sony a9 III is a powerhouse professional-grade camera. The question is, should it be the next item in your camera bag? Find out if it’s worth the money in this comprehensive review!

Jun 09, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R1 was finally released last week, and the question is - does it live up to the hype? Let’s dive in and explore firsthand what this camera does and doesn’t offer.

Jul 23, 2024

Improving your photography skills takes time, effort, and dedication. But with these unique exercises, you can make the process of becoming a better photographer more fun, too!

Jul 23, 2024

Night street photography is a fun pursuit with opportunities to develop your skills with portraiture, light trails, and architectural photography skills - and your nighttime photography skills, too!

Jul 22, 2024

The Canon EOS R5 Mark II has been unveiled, but it has a hefty price tag. If it’s out of your budget, the original Canon EOS R5 is a fantastic option. Learn more about it in this guide!

Jul 18, 2024

The Sigma DP2 Quattro is a rare breed. It’s a large-sensor point-and-shoot camera with a 29MP sensor and a 30mm f/2.8 fixed lens. The question is, who is this camera for? Let’s find out!

Jul 17, 2024

You need to try unique newborn photography ideas from time to time to keep your inspiration levels up. With the ideas in this guide, you can do just that!

Jul 17, 2024

What is the best landscape lens for photography - a prime or a zoom? The answer is a little murky, as it depends on the specific situation. Learn more about these lenses in this detailed guide!

Jul 16, 2024

Lightning photography is a tricky beast, but with the right tips, tricks, and tools, you can make the most of the next storm that rolls through. Learn some essential techniques in this guide!

Jul 16, 2024