Need Tips for Photographing Ice Hockey - First Time Shooting Sports

5 months 1 week ago #758411 by Sassy Girl
Hey everyone! In a couple of weeks, I'll be photographing an ice hockey match for my local team. This is my first foray into sports photography as I normally shoot weddings and newborn, although I've got a good amount of experience with the camera in other areas. I'd really appreciate any tips or tricks specifically for capturing the fast-paced action of hockey. What should I look out for? Any particular settings or techniques that work best? Thanks in advance for your advice!

This is free gig I'm doing for a local blogger and doing it to gain experience.  One of the goals I'm trying to accomplish is do things outside my norm.  This is a big start. 

Thanks for any help you can offer.  

Photo Comments
5 months 1 week ago #758413 by TCav
Sports/Action photography, especially indoor sports/action photography is the toughest photographic discipline there is. You capture what happens, it happens fast, and they will not recreate something for you because you missed the shot.

What gear do you have?

5 months 1 week ago #758414 by Sassy Girl

TCav wrote: Sports/Action photography, especially indoor sports/action photography is the toughest photographic discipline there is. You capture what happens, it happens fast, and they will not recreate something for you because you missed the shot.

What gear do you have?

My husband was saying the same thing about needing to learn the sports as well.  I have Nikon D810, 70-200mm and 24-70mm both f/2.8.  Oh and a 105mm.

Photo Comments
5 months 1 week ago - 5 months 1 week ago #758428 by TCav
First: Practice. Practice. Practice.

Second: There are two big considerations. Light and speed. The bad news is that indoor sports venues always have bad lighting unless the venue has a television contract, which I doubt yours will have. The good news is that ice is white, so you'll have more light than if you were shooting basketball, for instance. The bad news is that hockey is faster than basketball, so you'll need to get faster shutter speeds in order to capture the action, which negates the advantage of the additional light you'll have from shooting on ice. So, yeah, that's a wash.

Third: Your 70-200/2.8 should be your lens of choice. The maximum aperture of f/2.8 will help you get as much light as possible, so I'd recommend that you shoot using A (Aperture Priority) to keep the aperture wide open. The focal length might not be ideal on a 'Full Frame' camera, but your D810 has a 36MP image sensor, so you'll be able to do some cropping and still get good images.

Set the Auto ISO Sensitivity Control to On, and set the Minimum Shutter Speed to 1/250. (In general, when shooting any human activity without benefit of any mechanical advantage, 1/160 is fine, but hockey sticks provide a mechanical advantage, so 1/250 is more appropriate, keeping in mind that SOME motion blur adds to the drama in this type of photography.) Most of your images will be white, so noise won't be much of an issue, but you will get some on the players and crowd, if the lighting is especially bad.

Use AF-C (Continuous-servo AF), CH (Continuous high speed), and JPEG fine. (Don't bother with NEF. That will slow down the continuous shooting, eat up your memory, and leave you with a lot of RAW images to process.)

Fourth: Bring an extra battery (if you don't have a vertical grip) and extra cards.

Fifth: Practice. Practice. Practice. Go to the team's practice sessions to get a feel for the action.

Sixth: Practice. Practice. Practice.

5 months 1 week ago #758430 by TCav
Also, try to get good shots of the faces of every player on your team.

And move around.

5 months 1 week ago #758443 by Gammill
Watch some hockey on TV and see what those camera peeps are capturing.  I get you are doing photography, but this will train your eyes to look for things as it happens.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024