Permissions when shooting street photography

5 months 4 weeks ago #758519 by Marin Chi
Just to get this clear of my understanding when shooting people in street photography - If I'm going to keep in my personal portfolio, I don't need permission or release.  IF I want to ever submit into editorial, contest or license the photo out, I need permission/release form from the primary in focus in the shot right?  

Photo Comments
5 months 3 weeks ago #758573 by Jessy Page
Hey there,You've got it mostly right! When it comes to street photography and the legalities of using those photos, the rules can vary based on where you are, but generally speaking:
  1. Personal Portfolio: You're correct that you usually don't need permission or a release form if you're keeping the photos in your personal portfolio. This is because personal use typically doesn't involve commercial gain or widespread distribution.
  2. Editorial, Contests, or Licensing: Now, when you're thinking of submitting your photos for editorial use, entering contests, or licensing them out, things get a bit more complicated. In these cases, a model release form is often necessary, especially if the person in the photo is the main subject and is recognizable. This is to protect their privacy and rights. Editorial use can sometimes be an exception, as news-related content can often be published without a release, but this varies by jurisdiction and specific context.
  3. Privacy and Ethics: It's also worth considering the ethical side of things. Even if legally you might be in the clear, think about the impact on the people you've photographed. Street photography can capture very personal moments, and respecting the dignity and privacy of your subjects is always important.
Remember, laws and norms can vary greatly from place to place, so it's always a good idea to familiarize yourself with local regulations and practices. And when in doubt, getting permission is the safest route!Happy shooting!

Photo Comments
5 months 3 weeks ago - 5 months 3 weeks ago #758578 by TCav
I have always been of the opinion that, if I can see it, I can photograph it.

... BUT ...

Suppose the image you capture shows a married man entering a strip club.

Suppose the image you capture shows a man embracing his best friend's wife.

Even if those situations aren't the primary subject of the photo, publishing that photo has the potential to disrupt someone's life.

Even at its most innocent, street photography is always exploitative.

Adding street photography to your portfolio advertises that you capitalize on exploiting people.

5 months 3 weeks ago #758675 by Ontherocks
+1 Such good points

Photo Comments
4 months 3 weeks ago #759818 by Spirit Vision Photography
"Adding street photography to your portfolio advertises that you capitalize on exploiting people."

What? Not even close. How do you figure that?

Attachments:
4 months 3 weeks ago #759821 by Spirit Vision Photography
   If you are using it for personal gallery, editorial, portfolio, a release is not needed. If you use it for commercial purposes, selling a product, etc, a release is needed.

4 months 3 weeks ago #759822 by Esseff
Ask for permission. Even if you are legally in the clear, always ask for permission.

4 months 3 weeks ago #759823 by Spirit Vision Photography

Spirit Vision Photography wrote:    If you are using it for personal gallery, editorial, portfolio, a release is not needed. If you use it for commercial purposes, selling a product, etc, a release is needed.

That is often not possible. And it eliminates candid, poignant moments.

Attachments:
4 months 3 weeks ago #759829 by TCav

Spirit Vision Photography wrote: "Adding street photography to your portfolio advertises that you capitalize on exploiting people."

You don't think you're exploiting that guy?

4 months 3 weeks ago #759831 by Esseff

Spirit Vision Photography wrote:

Spirit Vision Photography wrote:    If you are using it for personal gallery, editorial, portfolio, a release is not needed. If you use it for commercial purposes, selling a product, etc, a release is needed.

I don't what it's like where you live but here in Germany if you photograph a child without permission you be having a conversation with the police in no time. Even photographing adults without permission can get you into a fair bit of trouble with most people at least telling you to delete the photo. Right to privacy is taken very seriously here. Same goes with license plates.

4 months 2 weeks ago #759928 by Sanford

Spirit Vision Photography wrote: "Adding street photography to your portfolio advertises that you capitalize on exploiting people."

You know what?  I really like this shot!  :beerbang:

Photo Comments
4 months 2 weeks ago #759939 by Spirit Vision Photography

Esseff wrote:

Spirit Vision Photography wrote:

I don't what it's like where you live but here in Germany if you photograph a child without permission you be having a conversation with the police in no time. Even photographing adults without permission can get you into a fair bit of trouble with most people at least telling you to delete the photo. Right to privacy is taken very seriously here. Same goes with license plates.

In the image that you are referring to, the child was holding the hand of her father. He was well aware of me making the image. He welcomed it. I do work with an organization “Friends Of Migrant Workers,” where we deliver donated clothing, food, and money to them. They are in need of it and very appreciative of it. The point being, that much more often than not, documentary and street shooting is not meant to be exploiting a person or event, and usually isn’t. As for the image of the smoking man’s legs, it cannot be exploiting the person in any way when the subject matter is unrecognizable. 

4 months 2 weeks ago #759940 by Spirit Vision Photography

Sanford wrote:

Thank You 

Attachments:
4 months 2 weeks ago #759941 by Spirit Vision Photography

Sanford wrote:

Thank You 

Attachments:
4 months 2 weeks ago #759953 by Esseff

Spirit Vision Photography wrote:   In the image that you are referring to, the child was holding the hand of her father. He was well aware of me making the image. He welcomed it. I do work with an organization “Friends Of Migrant Workers,” where we deliver donated clothing, food, and money to them. They are in need of it and very appreciative of it. The point being, that much more often than not, documentary and street shooting is not meant to be exploiting a person or event, and usually isn’t. As for the image of the smoking man’s legs, it cannot be exploiting the person in any way when the subject matter is unrecognizable. 

Merely pointing out the laws in Germany. It's a lot stricter here. If you're interested here's a LINK .

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024