Refurbish camera from Nikon or Canon?

8 months 10 hours ago #758724 by Uplander
A buddy who is not a photographer just phoned me asking about getting into photography and was looking at refurbished cameras. He asked when Nikon or Canon sell refurbished cameras, what makes a camera refurbished? I had no idea.

Do you know how a camera becomes a refurbished camera?

Photo Comments
8 months 3 hours ago #758730 by db3348
Hi Uplander ,

I don't believe (at least I have not heard of – someone correct me if I'm wrong ) I don't believe that Nikon or Canon themselves refurbish cameras , but there have been several 3rd party companies who have done it then resold the items through discount camera shops , some of whose advertising and selling practices leave something to be desired .*

Refurbishing , from what I have observed , generally means just cameras that have been returned to a shop for being faulty or damaged , or not what the buyer really wanted , but they can not really be sold as brand "new" stock , because they are technically no longer new – they are now used . But may need some minor maintenance adjustments , or cleaning or "going over" to get the items to look acceptable to unsuspecting customers .

* There were some cases here in Australia in recent years where a couple of companies (registered in Hong Kong) and only had basically an online 'Australian' presence . They were advertising allegedly "new" Nikons and Canons for ridiculously cheap [ read 'greymarket' ] prices compared to the more credible bricks-andmortar dealers' prices .
It turned out that their allegedly "new" Canons and Nikons were actually found to be 'refurbished' Canons and Nikons , after being reported to and investigated by Consumer Protection Affairs office , who I believe managed to successfully prosecute them .
I guess the moral of the story is : be very wary of refurbished camera ads . Just a fancy word for used stock .

Photo Comments
8 months 1 hour ago #758731 by TCav
Adorama sells refurbished cameras.

"Refurbished" means a factory trained technician has had another crack at it.

Most refurbished cameras are ones that were purchased and returned. Since they can't be sold as new, they get a good going over because there's no telling what the original purchaser might have done to it while they had it. Unfortunately, they don't have the same warranty as a "New" camera would have, but the fact that a factory trained technician has examined it, repairing or replacing anything that needed to be repaired or replaced, makes it a good choice for someone on a budget.

If not for the shorter warranty, I'd buy all my gear "Refurbished".

7 months 4 weeks ago #758738 by Razky

Uplander wrote: A buddy who is not a photographer just phoned me asking about getting into photography and was looking at refurbished cameras. He asked when Nikon or Canon sell refurbished cameras, what makes a camera refurbished? I had no idea. Do you know how a camera becomes a refurbished camera?

According to Google:
"Refurbished cameras are gently used, demos, or open-box models that were returned to and checked by the manufacturer by hand, inspected carefully, diagnosed, and calibrated at their repair facility. They could be more dependable than new cameras because they've all been hand checked. Oct 19, 2023."

7 months 4 weeks ago #758741 by Uplander
Hey thank you. I'm going to share with my buddy. Didn't KEH or MPB have a deal going where even refurbished had 12 month warranty?

Photo Comments
7 months 4 weeks ago #758754 by Razky

Uplander wrote: Hey thank you. I'm going to share with my buddy. Didn't KEH or MPB have a deal going where even refurbished had 12 month warranty?

I'm not familiar with their refurbished warrantees, but it's possible. I've only bought one refurbished item, a lens directly from Nikon quite a few years ago - couldn't tell it from new and never a problem. I believe it had a 90 day warrantee.

7 months 3 weeks ago #758869 by Photo Amigo
Now is the time of the year for these deals.  

7 months 3 weeks ago - 7 months 3 weeks ago #758969 by Eliffman
Oh, the mysterious world of refurbished cameras! It's like giving cameras a second chance at life, where they get to relive their shutter-clicking glory days. So, when your buddy asked what makes a camera 'refurbished,' you can tell him it's a bit like a spa retreat for cameras, but instead of mud baths and massages, they get screws tightened and sensors cleaned.

Basically, when Nikon, Canon, or any other brand sells a refurbished camera, it's like they're saying, "This camera has seen things, been places, but it's ready to go on more adventures." These cameras could be models that were returned by customers, demo units from stores, or ones that had minor defects or dings. They're the camera world's equivalent of a slightly-read novel - a few creases here and there but still a great read!

The refurbishing process is like a makeover session. The camera gets checked out from lens to LCD screen, ensuring everything is in tip-top shape. Any parts that aren't up to snuff get replaced, and the camera goes through rigorous testing to make sure it's as good as new, or at least as close as it can get without actually being new. It's like a reality show transformation, but for cameras.

And the best part? These refurbished cameras usually come with a warranty, so it's like getting the security of a new camera without having to shell out as many bucks. It's a win-win, especially for someone just dipping their toes into the photography pool.

So, when your friend looks at refurbished cameras, he's basically looking at cameras that have been given a second lease on life, ready to capture more smiles, sunsets, and maybe the occasional cat doing something ridiculous. Just remind him to check the warranty and return policies, because even in the camera world, it's nice to have a safety net!

Photo Comments
7 months 3 weeks ago #759031 by Little Kate
Aren't these sometimes just units that someone opened box and got cold feet and returned?  Meaning nothing is wrong with it.  

Photo Comments
7 months 2 weeks ago #759120 by Street Shark

Little Kate wrote: Aren't these sometimes just units that someone opened box and got cold feet and returned?  Meaning nothing is wrong with it.  

That is correct, many refurbished items are ones that have been opened up and they can’t sell as ‘new’ any longer.  

Photo Comments
7 months 2 weeks ago #759232 by CharleyL
I would not hesitate to buy a refurbished camera, if it was refurbished by the camera brand manufacturer service people or one of their factory authorized technical facilities and come with some kind of guarantee. Buying a camera that was serviced and checked by a factory certified technician for that camera brand that also comes with a guarantee tells me that possibly some small problem existed that was discovered very soon after the purchase and it now received a complete check by this certified technician and the little problem was found, fixed, and the camera completely remade to be fully equivalent to new before being sold again. They could even be open box items, but with a complete check by a factory certified technician before being resold with a full or nearly full warranty, but lower price. 

All too often lately the "refurbished" market seems to be from some source that uses the word "refurbished" in their advertising, but in fact they are being quickly checked over by some salesman or back room uncertified technician and then just pushed back on the market at a slightly lower than list price along with little to no warrantee. I avoid these like the plague. You truly get what you pay for if you buy from reputable places who offer warrantees, but not when it comes from one of these other places. You likely will not even be able to find them when you discover a problem with the camera or equipment that you bought from them. 

Charley

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sigma DP2 Quattro is a rare breed. It’s a large-sensor point-and-shoot camera with a 29MP sensor and a 30mm f/2.8 fixed lens. The question is, who is this camera for? Let’s find out!

Jul 17, 2024

I’ve been testing the Vanguard VEO 5 264CB-160S for several weeks now, and I have to say that my first impressions are nothing but good. Vanguard has knocked it out of the park yet again!

Jul 01, 2024

The Fujifilm X-H2s is Fuji’s flagship hybrid APS-C mirrorless camera. It launched in the summer of 2022 and has been impressing photographers and videographers alike ever since!

Jun 17, 2024

The Sony a9 III is a powerhouse professional-grade camera. The question is, should it be the next item in your camera bag? Find out if it’s worth the money in this comprehensive review!

Jun 09, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R1 was finally released last week, and the question is - does it live up to the hype? Let’s dive in and explore firsthand what this camera does and doesn’t offer.

Jul 23, 2024

Improving your photography skills takes time, effort, and dedication. But with these unique exercises, you can make the process of becoming a better photographer more fun, too!

Jul 23, 2024

Night street photography is a fun pursuit with opportunities to develop your skills with portraiture, light trails, and architectural photography skills - and your nighttime photography skills, too!

Jul 22, 2024

The Canon EOS R5 Mark II has been unveiled, but it has a hefty price tag. If it’s out of your budget, the original Canon EOS R5 is a fantastic option. Learn more about it in this guide!

Jul 18, 2024

The Sigma DP2 Quattro is a rare breed. It’s a large-sensor point-and-shoot camera with a 29MP sensor and a 30mm f/2.8 fixed lens. The question is, who is this camera for? Let’s find out!

Jul 17, 2024

You need to try unique newborn photography ideas from time to time to keep your inspiration levels up. With the ideas in this guide, you can do just that!

Jul 17, 2024

What is the best landscape lens for photography - a prime or a zoom? The answer is a little murky, as it depends on the specific situation. Learn more about these lenses in this detailed guide!

Jul 16, 2024

Lightning photography is a tricky beast, but with the right tips, tricks, and tools, you can make the most of the next storm that rolls through. Learn some essential techniques in this guide!

Jul 16, 2024