Have you ever let someone borrow your camera gear?

4 months 4 weeks ago #758872 by Tim Wiener
I've never understood why people ask to borrow expensive stuff from others.  Not that it happens that often, but I was just asked by my neighbor if they could borrow my camera and a couple lenses for an upcoming weekend trip. I was telling my wife about this earlier and just thought I would share here.  Curious what others say to people asking such questions.  I didn't mean to be rude or come across that way, but I told him I don't lend out my camera gear.  

Do you lend out your gear? If not, what do you say to those asking?

Photo Comments
4 months 4 weeks ago #758878 by Esseff

Tim Wiener wrote: Do you lend out your gear? If not, what do you say to those asking?

Never. Never ever ever. No explanation needs to be given. It's gear that costs several K... should be obvious that it's not going happening.

4 months 3 weeks ago #758955 by D Hornick
No, not even family for me.  Although family have never asked.  I just don't lend things out. 

Photo Comments
4 months 3 weeks ago #758978 by CharleyL
Early on in my working life I loaned out a few tools, but they frequently came back destroyed or nearly so. The worst destroyed was a big heavy duty screwdriver, and I let him use it because it was so heavy duty that I couldn't imagine how he could damage it, but he did. He burned the whole end off of it while short circuiting an aircraft battery. Some others who I had loaned tools to, never returned them. So I decided to absolutely never loan any of my tools or possessions to anyone. Someone in my direct family might be allowed to use my basic tools occasionally, but no one outside my family has ever been loaned anything.

Each of my children has learned why I have such a rule of life when they too have loaned some of their things out and they came back damaged or not at all. They have now all begun following the "absolutely no loan law" when their friends ask. My 4 children are now almost retirement age and all have a lot of respect for someone else's property and follow this same rule about loaning things.

I have adjusted this tool rule a bit since I began teaching my grand daughter about photography. She has proven to be very reliable and respecting of my photography gear, following in her dad's footsteps and teachings, including this no loan rule that I originated. But if she wanted to borrow something of mine, under the right circumstances, she might be allowed to borrow something of mine for a specific need and duration. She may never ask though, and I'm very proud of my now 23 year old grand daughter for her ways that are so much like her dad's. 

Charley

4 months 3 weeks ago #759044 by CaptNemo
Oh hell no!!  Big no no in my book.  

Photo Comments
4 months 2 weeks ago #759243 by I shoot RAW
LOL absolutely NOT!!

Wasn't me :)
Photo Comments
4 months 2 weeks ago #759356 by Sassy Girl
Hard NO for me as well.  Whats funny is my sister asked to borrow my camera this past summer and I told her I don't lend out my camera gear. 

Photo Comments
4 months 2 weeks ago #759429 by Kenta
Um, NO.  No question, NO thought.  Just NO.  

Photo Comments
4 months 1 week ago #759563 by Greg Friedman
Whats funny is the moment I saw this thread title, I chuckled. In case though there is question on what does that mean, no way. Not letting another sole use my gear. Nope, not doing it.

Photo Comments
3 months 3 weeks ago #760139 by ThatNikonGuy
Absolutely no.  

Photo Comments
3 months 3 weeks ago #760181 by Ira Weber
One person, that is my sister and it was OK experience.  My camera body had a small scuff on it, nothing serious.  Just won't do it again.  

Photo Comments
3 months 3 weeks ago #760242 by Overread
Hard NO.  

Photo Comments
3 months 3 weeks ago #760282 by SJM
Been asked before and declined.  I'm not a fan of lending out anything, whether it be a camera or lawn tool.  I don't lend stuff.  

Country guy living in the big Apple!
Photo Comments
3 months 2 weeks ago #760460 by Howard T
Oh no, not a chance.  Like others, I just don't want to be put into the position of having to deal with damaged stuff.  Not at least without my hands being the cause.  

Photo Comments
3 months 2 weeks ago #760542 by EOS Man

Esseff wrote:

Tim Wiener wrote: Do you lend out your gear? If not, what do you say to those asking?

Never. Never ever ever. No explanation needs to be given. It's gear that costs several K... should be obvious that it's not going happening.

:agree:  well said and respectfully agree!!  

5D Mark II | 50mm f/1.4 EX | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L | 430EX
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024