Nikon vs Sony vs Canon camera - help me get back into photography

4 months 3 weeks ago #758960 by Chase Watermith
I just introduced myself in another post on this site where I mentioned I have left my love for photography go dormant for a long time (nearly 15 years).  To put things in perspective, I have a Nikon D90!  I called B&H a week ago and was fishing around for ideas on what direction to go.  Which is how I learned of this site.  But the B&H guy also told me that it might not be a bad idea to look at other camera brands if I was going to pick up a whole new kit.  Actually he told me to post such question on this site and get feedback from actual photographers.   

So there you have it.  I have an old camera and haven't done anything in photography in long time and have time to pursue now.  I used to enjoy landscapes and nature.  I have budget to start off $8000 that I'm hoping will be enough for camera body and ideally 3 lenses, camera bag and tripod.  Any sort of advice would be appreciated.  

Thank you,

Chase

4 months 3 weeks ago #759027 by CharleyL
Welcome back, and to this website. I've been a photographer since the early 1950's, digital since 1998 and many brands of cameras along the way. I have 3 Canon DSLR cameras now, with the 90D being my most recent purchase. But I also have a Nikon and a Fuji X camera. I still have an old Sony too. No mirrorless yet, but probably soon.

All of these brands have good cameras today, and the newer models are quite advanced from what you have been using. The best way to decide is to find a local camera store, take your own memory card with you, and try each model of interest in the store to see which is most comfortable for you. It's kind-of a Ford-Chevy-Honda thing. All of the better cameras by these manufacturers produce fantastic photos today, so your decision needs to be more about the features each has and how comfortable that it feels when you are using it, how easy it is to download photos from, etc. WIFI capability is now available to connect your camera and cell phone, tablet, or PC. It is about 4X slower than a tether cord, but sometimes in certain shoots when you need to move around a lot, a tether cord just doesn't work out so well, so a WIFI backup capability can save the day. For me, here in my studio, I  run the tether cord to my ceiling lighting support grid and along it and down to my PC location. There is enough extra tether cable to allow me to move around the camera half of the studio. Then, when it proves not to be long enough, I have an extension cable and also WIFI as back-up.

Don't make a hasty decision on this camera purchase. Use your old D90 for awhile, while you familiarize yourself with the cameras that are available today. Decide what you like and what you don't about each model that interests you, how it feels in your hands, and are the controls positioned for comfortable access and use. Keep notes about each model in a small notebook and then compare each one to the others. Then, when comfortable with your decision, go buy one. Even if the camera and lenses of choice don't consume all of your budget, there are plenty of accessories to be bought. extra batteries, flash, stands, tripod, PC, etc. A lot of your decision will be affected by what kind of photography that you like to do, and you may have interests in several directions here, so be certain to include these in your camera and accessory decisions too.

Take your time deciding on this purchase, and don't hesitate to ask us questions if you think we may be able to help further. To me, it would be unwise for any of us to tell you what to buy without you really investigating for yourself. 

Charley  

4 months 2 weeks ago - 4 months 2 weeks ago #759112 by TCav
At this very moment, Sony is selling more 'Full Frame' Mirrorless cameras than anyone else, and has a broader selection of quality 'Full Frame' mirrorless lenses than anyone else.

Your call, but, at this very moment, you're more likely to find something you like from Sony than from anyone else.

4 months 2 weeks ago #759122 by Shadowfixer1
Look at the system especially lenses. Camera bodies leapfrog one another on features as a new one comes out. Like the old saying goes, date the camera body but marry the lenses. 
4 months 2 weeks ago #759196 by Crammer

Shadowfixer1 wrote: Look at the system especially lenses. Camera bodies leapfrog one another on features as a new one comes out. Like the old saying goes, date the camera body but marry the lenses. 

Ha, that is so true.  Never heard that before, but it makes so much sense!  

Photo Comments
4 months 2 weeks ago #759215 by Scotty

Shadowfixer1 wrote: Look at the system especially lenses. Camera bodies leapfrog one another on features as a new one comes out. Like the old saying goes, date the camera body but marry the lenses. 

This times 100. All 3 brands make top end systems. See what feels good to you.

I haven't shot heavily in a few years and wanna get back into it. 

D800 is still serving me well as well as the D3s. 

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
4 months 2 weeks ago #759266 by Garbo

Scotty wrote:

This times 100. All 3 brands make top end systems. See what feels good to you.

I haven't shot heavily in a few years and wanna get back into it. 

D800 is still serving me well as well as the D3s. 

D800 is an amazing camera!  

Nikon D300: 24-70 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 VR |Sigma 150 2.8 | 50 1.4 | SB-800
Photo Comments
4 months 1 week ago #759458 by Chase Watermith
First off, thank you very much for the help.  Would you all suggest buying used?

4 months 1 week ago #759465 by CharleyL
If I had $8,000 to spend on photography I certainly wouldn't be buying a used camera, but I wouldn't be buying the biggest, fanciest, latest possible model either, and I wouldn't be in a great rush to go out and buy the first one that I held in my hands. 

Shadofixer1's post is very true. Go back and re-read it.

Charley 

4 months 1 week ago - 4 months 1 week ago #759475 by TCav

Chase Watermith wrote: Would you all suggest buying used?

I would never buy a used camera, but used lenses are a different story. All but one of my lenses were bought used, and I've been very satisfied. If there's a problem with a used lens, it'll jump out at you; if there's a problem with a used camera, it may confound you forever.

4 months 1 week ago #759476 by Shadowfixer1
I've bought used cameras and lenses from KEH multiple times and they always looked brand new. They also have a decent warranty. Used is the way to go if you find what you want. I'm looking at getting another lens in the next few days and it will be used. I will save a third of the price over new. 

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024