How old were you when you took your first shot?

5 months 9 hours ago #759037 by Brody Kross
Having a little fun, how old were you when you took your first photo?

18 for me

5 months 5 hours ago #759049 by abdulwahab219
I took my first shoot when I was 8 years old. I still remember that a cameraman came to our village, he took my photos and gave to my parents in hard form. It was just about before school time. I miss thise days. 

4 months 4 weeks ago #759099 by Amy Porter
Oh must have been 11 or 12 I think 

Photo Comments
4 months 4 weeks ago #759101 by Shadowfixer1
I was 9 and got a camera by mailing in cereal box tops.  
4 months 4 weeks ago #759103 by CharleyL
I was seven years old when I was given my first camera.

I was given a Kodak Brownie box camera by my Grandmother for my birthday. My dad knew she was getting it, so he bought me a basic 3 tray developing and contact printing set. With his help I was taking, developing, and printing my own B/W photos soon after.

He was also a photographer, though all he had was a camera, and I think my developing kit gift was as much for him as it was me. Soon after, he partitioned off a small room in the corner of our basement to use as a darkroom and we used it together. I didn't have an enlarger until many years later when I was married and my dad was long gone, but I still had all of this darkroom kit gift from him, plus a lot of additions, like the cannister film developer for 35 mm film still with me and in use, up until I went digital. I did have access to the darkroom and enlarger while in high school though in my Junior and Senior years. The teacher in charge of the darkroom liked my work and soon after he had me taking club and sports photos for the yearbook using the school's Graflex Press Camera. What a monster that thing was. It, a bag of flash bulbs and batteries, and a bag full of film cartridges was a full load for even this healthy teenager.

I had always hated dealing with the chemicals, and this hate of the chemicals helped convince me to go digital many years later in 1998 when it was first becoming available and more reasonably priced. From my best memory, I had owned 7 film cameras since that first Kodak camera, 1-2 at a time, before going digital, and I have never looked back. No more film cameras for me. I've owned 14 digital cameras since then, with 6 of them still with me.

Charley

4 months 3 weeks ago #759180 by J Photo Man
14 I want to say.  My uncle had just bought a new Nikon SLR and allowed me to focus the camera and press the shutter.  It was a photo of my sister playing with a cooking set she had received.  

Photo Comments
4 months 3 weeks ago #759189 by db3348
Early teens ; 

Was a hand-me-down Kodak Box Brownie , with the now obsolete size #127 (?) film (if memory is correct ).

Photo Comments
4 months 3 weeks ago #759219 by Esseff

I got my first PC a year before and I loved the concept of desktop images. At some point I realised that I don't have to limit myself to the images that came with the OS and since I like landscapes I got a camera and started shooting. Lived in Africa at the time so plenty of great landscapes all around. I still have that camera (a Kodak C703) and some of the old snaps from back then. Didn't have a clue about composition or exposure triangle or anything photography related, I just took snaps of what I saw. Now, 20 years later, I'm still shooting landscapes.

4 months 3 weeks ago #759241 by I shoot RAW
Hmm, good question.  Must have been 10 at the time.  My dad had bought a camera thinking he would start taking photos.  Funny story, he used it for a couple weeks and then that camera sat for a good 7-8 years before anyone would use it again.  

Wasn't me :)
Photo Comments
4 months 3 weeks ago #759304 by Chipper
14 or so

4 months 3 weeks ago #759455 by Wyrick Photography
First time? 6 years old.  First time had interest in photography?  14 years old

Canon 5d Mark II • Canon 24-105mm F/4.0 • Canon 135mm F/2.0 • Canon 50mm F/1.8 • Tamron 28-75mm F/2.8 • Canon 580ex ii
Photo Comments
4 months 2 weeks ago #759485 by Carry
wow, good question.  I think I was 11.  Close to that

Photo Comments
4 months 2 weeks ago #759556 by Roman Omell
Agree, this seriously got me thinking this morning.  I would say 7 or 8.  It was a Polaroid camera

Photo Comments
4 months 2 weeks ago #759622 by Prago
12 years old, 110 film camera 

SWM into chainsaws and hockey masks seeks like-minded SWF. No weirdos, please
Photo Comments
4 months 2 weeks ago #759695 by Chuck Liley
About the same, 11 years old for the first click.  But I would have my own camera till 24 years old.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024