Are film cameras better for teaching photography?

2 months 4 weeks ago #760927 by Ruby Grace
My daughter wants to learn photography and I'm going to teach her.  She wants a brand new Sony mirrorless camera, however I told her I learned photography on a manual camera back in the film days.  That way, you just need to focus on shutterspeed, aperture and ISO.  Oh and manually adjusting focus and working for your shot. 

Now correct me if I'm wrong, I think this is a better way of learning photography and building a strong foundation.  

Do you agree with my direction on this?  

Canon EOS 5D Mark II, 17-40mmL, 24-105mmL, 100-400mmL, 300mm f/4L IS, Sigma 12-24mm, 430EX, Extension tubes
Photo Comments
2 months 4 weeks ago #760942 by Razky

Ruby Grace wrote: My daughter wants to learn photography and I'm going to teach her.  She wants a brand new Sony mirrorless camera, however I told her I learned photography on a manual camera back in the film days.  That way, you just need to focus on shutterspeed, aperture and ISO.  Oh and manually adjusting focus and working for your shot. 

Now correct me if I'm wrong, I think this is a better way of learning photography and building a strong foundation.  

Anyone qualified to teach photography ought to know that one can focus on shutter speed, aperture, ISO and manual focus with a mirrorless digital camera as well as with a film camera. I fear the poor girl may not learn much.

2 months 4 weeks ago #760948 by Shadowfixer1

Ruby Grace wrote: My daughter wants to learn photography and I'm going to teach her.  She wants a brand new Sony mirrorless camera, however I told her I learned photography on a manual camera back in the film days.  That way, you just need to focus on shutterspeed, aperture and ISO.  Oh and manually adjusting focus and working for your shot. 

I disagree with your premise. With film, you go through everything, then you have to wait until the film comes back to see what went right or what went wrong. With digital, the feedback is in the moment. Want to learn about DOF? Shoot 2 extreme f-stops and view the differences instantly. What does exposure compensation do? Try it and immediate feedback. The best way to learn is to see the result as you do it. Seeing a photographer in the wild used to be a novelty. Now everyone is a photographer because they always have their phone. That is one reason you can't make money at stock photography anymore. Everybody shoots.
2 months 4 weeks ago - 2 months 4 weeks ago #760958 by TCav
:agree: Digital = Instant Feedback

2 months 4 weeks ago #760961 by CharleyL
I also agree. It's much easier to learn anything when you can see the result immediately.

Charley

2 months 3 weeks ago #761095 by Photo Junky
Yes and no.  Film is going to teach the person to slow down and think about what they are doing, now digital as already pointed out will speed very valuable feedback loop

Photo Comments
2 months 3 weeks ago #761111 by Hassner

Photo Junky wrote: Yes and no.  Film is going to teach the person to slow down and think about what they are doing, now digital as already pointed out will speed very valuable feedback loop

I agree with doing composition, black&white film, limited exposures, self development/darkroom is a great way to learn, also if it is a Pentax K1000, everything manual, even a lazy person will have no choice than to get the good shot in limited frames.

But then I will go quickly to digital, but a 2nd hand cheap body to start with. Make her work for her favourite model. 

PS. I remember an exercise we did at the camera club in the nineties, we used a 12 exposure film, 12 topics. Action, night, self portrait etc. It was nerve wrecking, even though I was a professional for 15 years. It was all brains and planning before each shot. 

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
2 months 2 weeks ago #761268 by Gump
Use digital for most of the learning, then slap a film camera in their hands for part of the learning that involves thinking about their shots and to rush it. 

Photo Comments
2 months 2 weeks ago #761304 by Otto F
Film, digital or iphone, just get out there and learn the basics and don't allow anything to become a crutch. 

Photo Comments
2 months 1 week ago - 2 months 1 week ago #761427 by isabellasophie

Ruby Grace wrote: My daughter wants to learn photography and I'm going to teach her.  She wants a brand new Sony mirrorless camera, However, I told her I learned photography on a manual camera back in the film days, which is why Cardailytips recommends focusing solely on mastering shutter speed, aperture and ISO.  Oh and manually adjusting focus and working for your shot. 

what is better quality digital or film photography? what do the professionals use nowadays? what would be my best choice for a quality camera in the $350 price range(im looking for specific camera recommendations)? i dont currently own a digicam and my current camera is 20 years old so i think its time to upgrade. my pictures are turning out fuzzy 50% of the time so its starting to cost me money in worthless prints. i ask all this because it is actually my dads money, and he seems to be certain that film cameras are still so much better than digital cameras, and im just trying to prove him wrong. thanks for whatever links, comments, etc that you provide. and again, really sorry for the noob question

2 months 6 days ago #761566 by Sawyer
I think digital is best for learning.  HOWEVER once you have that understanding of the basics and fundamentals, a film camera will be a good learning tool to slow you down and think more ABOUT what the basics mean to each shot.  

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | Canon 135L | (2) 430EX II
Photo Comments
2 months 7 hours ago #761693 by Tim Reeder

CharleyL wrote: I also agree. It's much easier to learn anything when you can see the result immediately.

Charley

Second this

Photo Comments
1 month 4 weeks ago #761747 by Ontherocks
Film cameras are just fun to shoot.

Photo Comments
1 month 3 weeks ago #761806 by Ziggy
Film cameras are 'perspective'.  

Photo Comments
1 month 3 weeks ago #761849 by Frisco

Ziggy wrote: Film cameras are 'perspective'.  

Alot to unpack with that statement

Nikon 18-55mm VR, Nikon 70-200mm VRII f/2.8, Nikon 50mm f/1.8, Nikon 10.5mm Fisheye, Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8, SB-700 & SB-800
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024