Store camera gear or glass case for all to see?

2 months 3 weeks ago #761091 by No Show
We just added new cabinets in the house and the old ones I'm thinking about moving into my office to store my camera gear.  Just on the fence if this would be to overboard?

Dust nightmare?  

D300| Nikkor 24-70mm 2.8 | Nikkor 70-200mm VR 2.8 | Nikkor 50mm 1.8 | Nikon 2x Teleconverter | Sigma 105mm 2.8 | Tokina 12-24
Photo Comments
2 months 3 weeks ago #761122 by ThatNikonGuy
In a man cave yes.  

Photo Comments
2 months 3 weeks ago #761176 by CharleyL
I tend to avoid placing anything valuable out in view of anyone who comes to visit that hasn't been a very close friend and someone that I have trusted for many years. They are kind-of like distant relatives that I know well and trust. 

A friend of ours living across town had a gun cabinet with glass doors in his living room and had is guns stored in it for many years. A contractor came to discuss work to be done outside the house and while there he saw the guns in the gun cabinet. The following week, when no one was at home, the house was broken into and the only things taken were the guns. Fortunately, my friend had recorded all of the models and serial numbers, so about a month later when they started getting pawned, the police knew where to go and picked him up. My friend got most, but not all, of his guns back and the contractor went to jail.

The pawn shops are supposed to record make and serial numbers of items as they are pawned, along with a clear description of each item, and these records are required to be sent to the police.  Unfortunately, pawned items only need to be kept for 30 days here, and then put on display for sale if the person who pawned them hasn't come back. Delays in reporting and display for sale can allow items to be sold before the police can stop the sale. My friend lost several items because the pawn brokers had sold them quickly. Once they are sold this way, recovery is not likely.

I keep my cameras and valuables out of the sight of similar visitors. Most of my closest friends don't even know what I have and where I keep things, and everything isn't kept in the same place. My studio is in my home and except for very rare occasions and very short periods, there is always some member of my family here in the house. My cameras are put away when I'm not using them, and they are not kept where someone would think to look for them, even if they had been in my studio and had seen them in use.
"Smash and grab" burglar tactics, like my friend's gun loss, won't work here. Only with an extensive search would they (maybe) find enough valuables to make their risk and effort worth doing.

I have close friend neighbors, one a retired police detective, and we watch after each other's homes and property for anything unusual. Visiting nurses come here for my ailing wife and also for my handicapped son, and if they drive a different car just one time, at least one of my neighbors checks in with me via text or phone to assure that the someone who has just arrived at my home, belongs here. I feel much safer here than anywhere else because of this. 

Manny Ortiz, a pro photographer and frequent poster on YouTube just posted recently that he had a burglary and lost $16,000 worth of cameras from his studio. You may want to find his Youtube post and watch the video to learn more about this.

Charley

2 months 2 weeks ago #761296 by CanonKid
Glass case can work if it's in your office.  Not in family space.  

Canon 7D, 15-85mm, 18-55mm, 70-200mm, 100mm Macro, Sigma 120-300mm, Speedlite 430EX II

A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office

Photo Comments
2 months 2 weeks ago - 2 months 2 weeks ago #761378 by isabellasophie

CharleyL wrote: I tend to avoid placing anything valuable out in view of anyone who comes to visit that hasn't been a very close friend and someone that I have trusted for many years. They are kind-of like distant relatives that I know well and trust. 

A friend of ours living across town had a gun cabinet with glass doors in his living room and had is guns stored in it for many years. A contractor came to discuss work to be done outside the house and while there he saw the guns in the gun cabinet. The following week, when no one was at home MSI MEG X570 GODLIKE [63/98] ACPI States Codes , the house was broken into and the only things taken were the guns. Fortunately, my friend had recorded all of the models and serial numbers, so about a month later when they started getting pawned, the police knew where to go and picked him up. My friend got most, but not all, of his guns back and the contractor went to jail.

The pawn shops are supposed to record make and serial numbers of items as they are pawned, along with a clear description of each item, and these records are required to be sent to the police.  Unfortunately, pawned items only need to be kept for 30 days here, and then put on display for sale if the person who pawned them hasn't come back. Delays in reporting and display for sale can allow items to be sold before the police can stop the sale. My friend lost several items because the pawn brokers had sold them quickly. Once they are sold this way, recovery is not likely.

I keep my cameras and valuables out of the sight of similar visitors. Most of my closest friends don't even know what I have and where I keep things, and everything isn't kept in the same place. My studio is in my home and except for very rare occasions and very short periods, there is always some member of my family here in the house. My cameras are put away when I'm not using them, and they are not kept where someone would think to look for them, even if they had been in my studio and had seen them in use.
"Smash and grab" burglar tactics, like my friend's gun loss, won't work here. Only with an extensive search would they (maybe) find enough valuables to make their risk and effort worth doing.

I have close friend neighbors, one a retired police detective, and we watch after each other's homes and property for anything unusual. Visiting nurses come here for my ailing wife and also for my handicapped son, and if they drive a different car just one time, at least one of my neighbors checks in with me via text or phone to assure that the someone who has just arrived at my home, belongs here. I feel much safer here than anywhere else because of this. 

Manny Ortiz, a pro photographer and frequent poster on YouTube just posted recently that he had a burglary and lost $16,000 worth of cameras from his studio. You may want to find his Youtube post and watch the video to learn more about this.

Charley

Your recommendation of a storage system to keep lenses, camera bodies, etc? Honestly currently I just keep it in my bags because of how much high rotation it is, but I imagine there should be a better way to storage it.

2 months 1 week ago #761456 by Tim Wiener
I keep in my camera bag, why even deal with having to dust and keep clean. 

Photo Comments
2 months 1 week ago #761502 by Ontherocks
Not for me, I keep my gear in various camera bags when not in use.  

Photo Comments
2 months 1 week ago #761528 by No Show
Going to use it for storage, don't want to toss this cabinet out 

D300| Nikkor 24-70mm 2.8 | Nikkor 70-200mm VR 2.8 | Nikkor 50mm 1.8 | Nikon 2x Teleconverter | Sigma 105mm 2.8 | Tokina 12-24
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024