What's in your camera bag tool kit?

1 month 4 weeks ago #761740 by Roger Lang
I'm putting together a small tool bag that will go in my camera bag and would like to see if there is anything I overlooked.  Here is what I have in here right now:

1. Blower
2. Lens pen
3. Lens/glass wipes
4. Multitool
5. USB-C cable
6. Duct tape (mini roll)

Photo Comments
1 month 4 weeks ago #761741 by Razky

Roger Lang wrote: I'm putting together a small tool bag that will go in my camera bag and would like to see if there is anything I overlooked.  Here is what I have in here right now:

1. Blower
2. Lens pen
3. Lens/glass wipes
4. Multitool
5. USB-C cable
6. Duct tape (mini roll)

1. Blower brush.          2. Lens cleaning fluid.      3. Lens tissue.
4.  Microfiber cloth.      5. Multi-tool.                     6. Mini screwdriver set.
7. 3 jeweler's files.       8. 10X magnifier.              9. Gaffer's tape.

1 month 4 weeks ago #761743 by Rick Larin
Wait do you all actually have a physical bag within your camera bag with all your tools in it?  Mine have just been loosely in one of the pockets.  :rofl:   

What you all have, plus microfiber cloths.  

Photo Comments
1 month 3 weeks ago #761793 by CharleyL
Some other items that you should consider adding, of course depending on where you are going, but most of these are good to have with you all of the time that you are "out and away".

Filter wrenches are always with me, sized for the range of lenses and filters that I have in the bag. So far, I haven't needed them for my cameras, but I have rescued a few cameras and filters owned by others, and made friends in the process. 

About 50' of black paracord and some long boot laces. I use these when there is a need to tie down the tripod or light stands, and sometimes the paracord has been used to pull my camera bag up a steep slope that would have been difficult for me to climb while wearing the camera bag.

When the paracord is stretched between two trees and a Space Blanket type tarp is placed over it, you can have a lean-to type shelter from the harsh Sun or a sudden rain/snow shower. The Space Blanket needs to be large enough to be a comfortable 1 person shelter for you and camera bag. For this use, the single use version is the lightest. It's reflective properties can be handy as a reflective signal, if a rescue should ever be required too.

Gaffer tape (black) is always with me. Gaffer tape leaves no residue when removed, where ordinary Duct Tape frequently does.

I always carry a Leatherman Tool (Wave model) on my belt every day, but I absolutely wouldn't be without it if going anywhere away from civilization. It's an American version of the Swiss Pocket Knife. A great tool to have with you for dealing with the wilderness and  emergency repairs to your equipment.

A few Protein Bars, for that extra energy boost if/when needed. 

I always have a 10-12 oz bottle of water with me too. 

Charley

1 month 3 weeks ago #761799 by Roger Lang
Thank you all.  I'm going through all this and when it comes to how you are keeping all this together, are you using anything special in terms of bag? 

Photo Comments
1 month 3 weeks ago #761800 by Razky

Roger Lang wrote: Thank you all. I'm going through all this and when it comes to how you are keeping all this together, are you using anything special in terms of bag? 

My kit is in a soft cloth drawstring bag that came with a bottle of whiskey. Easy to transfer to whichever camera bag or backpack I happen to be using.

1 month 3 weeks ago - 1 month 3 weeks ago #761801 by Esseff
I use a camera Rucksack from Rollei. In it:
- microfibre cloths
- multitool
- lens brush
- cotton carrier
- extra mounts for tripod and carrier
- extra SD cards
- torch
- headlamp
- camera shoulder strap
- camera wrist strap
- earplugs (for concerts)
- spare camera batteries
- wet wipes
- lightweight fold-up stool
- tripod
- And obviously camera and lenses.
These items are always packed. That way when I go somewhere to shoot I just need to grab the rucksack and everything will be there. When I get to the location where I want to shoot I'll usually leave leave stuff in the car that I know I won't need.

1 month 3 weeks ago #761854 by Sassy Girl
Pretty much the same.  Now I do keep a tin of putty in my bag.  I use that to keep my lens from not rolling when cleaning and I use it for product photography.

Photo Comments
1 month 3 weeks ago #761930 by Spencer Posey

Razky wrote:

Roger Lang wrote: I'm putting together a small tool bag that will go in my camera bag and would like to see if there is anything I overlooked.  Here is what I have in here right now:

1. Blower
2. Lens pen
3. Lens/glass wipes
4. Multitool
5. USB-C cable
6. Duct tape (mini roll)

4.  Microfiber cloth.      5. Multi-tool.                     6. Mini screwdriver set.

What are the 'jewelers files' for?

1 month 3 weeks ago - 1 month 3 weeks ago #761953 by Razky

Spencer Posey wrote:

Razky wrote:

What are the 'jewelers files' for?

Any minor deburring that may be necessary

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024