Need help with Monochrome conversion

1 month 4 weeks ago #761770 by ThatNikonGuy
What's the wallet-friendly highway to Monochrome City?

I've got a collection of vintage MFT lenses.
Seems like I stumble upon a ton of infrared makeovers, but when it comes to monochrome magic, the options are as scarce as a hen's teeth. And the one place I did find? They're charging a whopping $1800 for the transformation!

Cheers for any insights!

Photo Comments
1 month 3 weeks ago #761787 by EOS_Fan
You could always roll the dice with the software version.  Although from what I understand doesn't look the same. 

Photo Comments
1 month 3 weeks ago #761796 by CharleyL
In many of the better cameras, there is a "Picture Style" menu selection. One of these selections allows you to take monochrome photos with your camera, which will produce black and white photos, but not the IR kind of photos. There are IR filters available, but getting really good results with IR photos requires modifying the camera, which I've been told is a "one way" modification, meaning that once it's modified, you can never un-modify it to put it back the way that it was initially. 

I have tried the Picture Style adjustment in one of my Canon 77D cameras, and it does work, but the result doesn't leave me feeling that it matches monochrome film results very closely.

Charley

1 month 3 weeks ago #761798 by Shadowfixer1
He's not asking about IR conversions. He is asking about conversion to monochrome only. These conversions increase detail and acuity within the image and produce some wonderful results that a software conversion to black and white can't match. Cheapest conversion I have seen is $1200. IR conversions are much less but the result is totally different. I would like one of these monochrome converted cameras as well, but it's not worth the $1200 to me for the difference. I'll just keep converting to monochrome with software.

PS. Some IR conversions can be reversed. They just replace the filter pack they took off and recalibrate. Not worth it in the long run though.
1 month 3 weeks ago #761814 by Scuba Mike
Why don't they just offer cameras with the ability to turn this on and off?  Seems like there is a market for this. 

Photo Comments
1 month 3 weeks ago #761878 by Don Granger
I would just stick with the software, it's close enough

Photo Comments
1 month 3 weeks ago #761912 by CharleyL
     "I would just stick with the software, it's close enough"

That's what I've been doing since about 1998. For me, it IS close enough, and I can have both color and B/W versions of the same photo. I have even made some sepia toned shots, again using the photo editing software of choice.

Charley

1 month 2 weeks ago - 1 month 2 weeks ago #762074 by isabellasophie

ThatNikonGuy wrote: What's the wallet-friendly highway to Monochrome City?

I've got a collection of vintage MFT lenses.
Seems like I stumble upon a ton of infrared makeovers, but when it comes to  Junk Removal Services , the options are as scarce as a hen's teeth. And the one place I did find? They're charging a whopping $1800 for the transformation!

Cheers for any insights!

Consider exploring DIY options or affordable conversion kits for monochrome photography with your vintage MFT lenses. Post-processing software like Adobe Lightroom or Photoshop offers powerful tools for monochrome conversion. Additionally, third-party conversion kits or adapters designed for MFT lenses can be more budget-friendly alternatives to professional services. Finally, seek advice from fellow photographers in online forums for additional insights and recommendations.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024