Corrupted JPEG files

1 month 2 weeks ago - 1 month 2 weeks ago #762001 by Finn
So here's a bit of a pickle my partner and I found ourselves in recently. Their Canon point-and-shoot, which had been working perfectly fine up until now, suddenly turned rogue on us, botching an entire weekend's worth of photos. Just to paint the picture - the day before everything was ticking along nicely, and the memory card was fairly new, barely broken in, and definitely not mistreated or overworked.

In a bid to salvage what we could, I gave a couple of free jpeg recovery tools a whirl, but no dice - they couldn't fetch anything back for us. Interestingly, running chkdsk did manage to claw back two images and dumped a pile of .CHK files in a new folder. These files clearly hold some of our precious memories (judging by the data size), yet they're stuck in limbo, and I'm scratching my head on how to breathe life into them again.

Post-crisis, I gave the card a thorough formatting (after rescuing the unreadable files, of course). It seems to be in good working order now, happily storing new memories. The camera, too, is chugging along fine with a different card.

Now, I'm reaching out to this brainy bunch for some wisdom. Got any tricks, tools, or wizardry up your sleeves to transform these inaccessible files back into cherished photos? Each attempt to open them either hits me with a "file cannot be read" brick wall or the software plays dumb, claiming it doesn't recognize the file type.

Any advice or suggestions to untangle this mess would be golden.

Thanks a million in advance for helping us out!

Cheers!

Photo Comments
1 month 2 weeks ago #762002 by CharleyL
A couple of suggestions -

Try re-naming one of the .chk files to .jpg and see what happens. It will likely be a partial photo, but better than nothing.

It's always best to low level format new memory cards in the camera that they will be used in, before using them, and do a regular format in the camera when you again need to format them. Memory cards do work better when this is done this way.

Charley

1 month 2 weeks ago #762033 by Pete Franko
Agree, every time I dump photos from a card, I reformat the card.  I have had two many errors with cards.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024