Sony A7 battery accidently washed

1 month 5 days ago #762499 by KENT MELTON
I have left it drying all day today and wondering if this might hold a charge or still work after going through a wash?  It was in my pants pocket.  

Let me know, alternatively I'm going to keep it out till Sunday and try.  

Photo Comments
1 month 4 days ago #762506 by Finn
Place it in a bowl of uncooked rice and perhaps tomorrow (Sunday) try in your camera first, if it shows life, place on charger.   

Photo Comments
1 month 4 days ago #762513 by TCav
Replace it.

Why take a chance?

1 month 4 days ago #762519 by Razky

KENT MELTON wrote: I have left it drying all day today and wondering if this might hold a charge or still work after going through a wash?  It was in my pants pocket.  

It got soaked pretty good then, which very well could cause serious problems. I wouldn't even think of trying to use it now.

1 month 2 days ago #762573 by CharleyL
The cells are sealed, but the electronics in these batteries may not be sealed. It may be OK, but maybe not. The bowl of rice is a good suggestion for speeding the drying. A warm, but not hot location, like on top of a heat register, if you have them would help too. Don't be in a rush to use or charge it again. Make pretty certain that it has dried fully before you try using it. If it does work, I would only consider using it again when taking unimportant shots, as it may have a considerably shorter power life than before. It would be best to buy a replacement.

Charley

1 month 2 days ago #762585 by Amy Porter

TCav wrote: Replace it.

Why take a chance?

Not to ask a dumb question, but what is the worst thing that could happen if you plug it into a camera?  Either its going to work or not right?  

Photo Comments
1 month 1 day ago #762614 by CharleyL
"Not to ask a dumb question, but what is the worst thing that could happen if you plug it into a camera?  Either its going to work or not right?"

My suggestion to replace it was more based on the possible reduced charge handling capability or defective or short life of the electronics within it that may have been caused by washing it. Although I would certainly try using it again, I wouldn't trust it to be as good as a new one that never went through the wash, until it proved from use to have not suffered any damage. In other words, if you go on a trip, make certain that this is not the only battery that you take with you. 

Three of my cameras have battery grips, so 2 batteries are always in the camera, plus two sets (4 more) in the camera bag as spares. With 6 batteries for each camera I can pretty much keep the camera "On" for more than16 hours this way and I have never cut a day trip short due to dead batteries. Dead batteries and no spares is something that I never want to worry about. All are freshly charged before leaving the studio. For important shoots always have two cameras with me, and sometimes a third in the car "just in case". This is what I have always had with me when shooting weddings or "paid events". The more cameras with me the more spare batteries with me, especially if the cameras require different battery models.

Any battery operated flash units get the same treatment, three complete sets of batteries per light when doing long events. 

Charley

4 weeks 2 days ago #762682 by KZAM
WELL... if you want to take a safe route to testing the battery, you could take a voltage meter and see if you are getting any power.  Test it against a good battery (that wasn't exposed to water).  If the readings are similar, if you want me 2 cents, it's likely good.  

I don't need no stink'in Signature! ha ha ha
Photo Comments
4 weeks 2 days ago #762691 by Esseff

Amy Porter wrote:

TCav wrote: Replace it.

Why take a chance?

Not to ask a dumb question, but what is the worst thing that could happen if you plug it into a camera?  Either its going to work or not right?  

Lithium ion batteries are incredibly prone to failure and when they do it generally involves fire and toxic gases. Why risk injury to yourself and damage to your camera? For what... a 70€ battery?

4 weeks 2 days ago #762692 by Esseff

KENT MELTON wrote: I have left it drying all day today and wondering if this might hold a charge or still work after going through a wash?  It was in my pants pocket.  

Get rid of it. Lithium ion batteries are too prone to catastrophic failure.

4 weeks 17 hours ago #762720 by Chester Foster
Yep, that's what I would do, ditch it. 

3 weeks 5 days ago #762785 by Steve Zahra
That battery is already ticked off, I would just toss it and not risk it. 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024