Why Do You Prefer DSLR's Over Mirrorless Cameras??

3 months 3 weeks ago #762786 by Ruben Wade
I have the EOS R and 5DII, now the 5DII is much older.  Nowhere near the specs of the EOS R, but man everything about the older camera is just more fun to shoot.  

Anyone else still shooting with a DSLR and prefer it over a mirrorless camera?  If so, what is your reasoning? 

I seriously can't be the only one.  

Photo Comments
3 months 3 weeks ago - 3 months 3 weeks ago #762793 by TCav
Throughout the history of photography, attempts to make the camera smaller were only possible because of advances in optics.

Until "Mirrorless".

With mirrorless, camera manufacturers collectively said "To heck the optics. We'll fix the image with in-camera processing."

The shorter Flange Focal Distance of mirrorless cameras requires their lenses to bend light more in order to project an image over the entire image sensor, so those lenses are more prone to vignetting , chromatic aberration , distortion , and field curvature (soft corners). That is not to say that those flaws can't be overcome, but in order to overcome them, lenses must use more advanced and more expensive designs. Thus, most mirrorless camera manufacturers opt instead to process images in the camera to "compensate" for some of those image flaws. Unfortunately, that processing often simply replaces one image flaw with another, and worse, there is no compensation for the soft corners, and the compensation for distortion actually makes the corners softer.

Further, mirrorless cameras are comparatively new, as are their lenses, whereas SLRs and their autofocus lenses have been around for decades, so a new dSLR can use many of the excellent lenses available on the used market at a greatly reduced price. And while dSLR lenses can be adapted to work with mirrorless cameras, use of adapters often introduces other problems in terms of both functionality and image quality.

If you check, you'll notice that, for lots of mirrorless lenses, that "Lens Compensation" can't be turned off!

That tells me they're selling lenses they know are bad!

Thank you. No.

3 months 3 weeks ago #762806 by CharleyL
TCav expressed my feelings exactly.

The cameras that I use are all Canon (3) and Fuji (1) DSLR and all new within the last 5 years. I have no plans to go mirrorless in the near future. Maybe they'll fix some of these issues before I have to upgrade to mirrorless.

Charley

The following user(s) said Thank You: TCav
3 months 3 weeks ago #762859 by CanonKid
Interesting topic.  I don't prefer one over the other.  Now full disclosure, I do own a EOS R6 and while I enjoy the camera and it does what I need.  If Canon was still supporting and selling DSLRs (like the old days) would still own a DSLR.  My long time Rebel died and I took that opportunity to segue into a good deal I got on a used R6 from MPB and I bought a couple lenses from a guy on Craigslist.  So right place and right time for me.  

Canon 7D, 15-85mm, 18-55mm, 70-200mm, 100mm Macro, Sigma 120-300mm, Speedlite 430EX II

A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sigma DP2 Quattro is a rare breed. It’s a large-sensor point-and-shoot camera with a 29MP sensor and a 30mm f/2.8 fixed lens. The question is, who is this camera for? Let’s find out!

Jul 17, 2024

I’ve been testing the Vanguard VEO 5 264CB-160S for several weeks now, and I have to say that my first impressions are nothing but good. Vanguard has knocked it out of the park yet again!

Jul 01, 2024

The Fujifilm X-H2s is Fuji’s flagship hybrid APS-C mirrorless camera. It launched in the summer of 2022 and has been impressing photographers and videographers alike ever since!

Jun 17, 2024

The Sony a9 III is a powerhouse professional-grade camera. The question is, should it be the next item in your camera bag? Find out if it’s worth the money in this comprehensive review!

Jun 09, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R1 was finally released last week, and the question is - does it live up to the hype? Let’s dive in and explore firsthand what this camera does and doesn’t offer.

Jul 23, 2024

Improving your photography skills takes time, effort, and dedication. But with these unique exercises, you can make the process of becoming a better photographer more fun, too!

Jul 23, 2024

Night street photography is a fun pursuit with opportunities to develop your skills with portraiture, light trails, and architectural photography skills - and your nighttime photography skills, too!

Jul 22, 2024

The Canon EOS R5 Mark II has been unveiled, but it has a hefty price tag. If it’s out of your budget, the original Canon EOS R5 is a fantastic option. Learn more about it in this guide!

Jul 18, 2024

The Sigma DP2 Quattro is a rare breed. It’s a large-sensor point-and-shoot camera with a 29MP sensor and a 30mm f/2.8 fixed lens. The question is, who is this camera for? Let’s find out!

Jul 17, 2024

You need to try unique newborn photography ideas from time to time to keep your inspiration levels up. With the ideas in this guide, you can do just that!

Jul 17, 2024

What is the best landscape lens for photography - a prime or a zoom? The answer is a little murky, as it depends on the specific situation. Learn more about these lenses in this detailed guide!

Jul 16, 2024

Lightning photography is a tricky beast, but with the right tips, tricks, and tools, you can make the most of the next storm that rolls through. Learn some essential techniques in this guide!

Jul 16, 2024