Can glass cleaner be used on outer lens elements?

1 week 6 days ago #763434 by Pork Express
When you need to clean fingerprints or grime off your lens elements, can glass cleaner on a paper towel be used to clean?

1 week 6 days ago - 1 week 6 days ago #763438 by TCav
Let me think about thatNO!

1 week 6 days ago #763440 by CharleyL
I agree with @TCav.

Get yourself some lens wipes that are sold for the purpose and a lens rocket (high velocity squeeze blower). Use the lens rocket to blow off loose debris and then the lens wipes to clean off what the blower won't remove, if anything remains, and do it carefully.
Don't use window cleaner on your expensive lenses. There are lens brushes that sometimes help to dislodge sticky dust particles too. Always clear as much loose dirt as you can, before resorting to the lens wipes, which are better at removing finger prints, etc.

www.amazon.com/ZEISS-Lens-Wipes-220-ct/d...%2Caps%2C107&sr=8-10

www.amazon.com/Cleaning-Contains-Carryin...t%2Caps%2C101&sr=8-1

These links are to show you what I'm talking about. There are many manufacturers that are making and selling both. While I wouldn't choose the cheapest to use on my high dollar lenses, there are certainly many sources of both available. The complete kits give you everything that you need for starters, and are small enough to fit in most camera bags, and are in each of mine.

I have to buy large boxes of lens wipes, because my wife has discovered how well they clean her eye glasses. She keeps raiding my supplies to take to the family room where she sits watching TV and cleaning her eye glasses. If your lens wipes disappear too quickly, you may also have this problem.

Charley

1 week 5 days ago #763444 by Pork Express
OK, thank you both.  I seem to recall seeing someone clean their lens on a YouTube video this way.  Honestly I have cleaned mine a few times that way.  Then someone I know told me it's a big no no.  So I posted this to validate.  

1 week 4 days ago #763500 by James F
If you have the spritz bottle given with glasses, I will often use that or you can get cheap lens cleaner on Amazon

Photo Comments
1 week 12 hours ago #763609 by Ira Weber
Yeah that is a no go there.  I'll use water before I would spray glass cleaner on my lens.  

Photo Comments
4 days 12 hours ago #763690 by Stanly
I have a number of micro fiber cloths in my bag and unless my lens has sand or gritty stuff, a quick wipe with these cloths is all you need

Nikon Z6 | Nikon FM10 | Nikon D80 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8D | Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR | 35-105mm f/3.5 Macro | 80-200mm f/4.5 | SB600 | Pocket Wizard II
Photo Comments
1 day 21 hours ago #763779 by Zach Mosher
First let me say that I've never used glass cleaner for cleaning my lenses.  But seeing that we are talking about this, whats the worst thing that could happen from doing this?

Photo Comments
1 day 16 hours ago #763784 by TCav

Zach Mosher wrote: First let me say that I've never used glass cleaner for cleaning my lenses.  But seeing that we are talking about this, whats the worst thing that could happen from doing this?

The chemicals in conventional glass cleaner can damage the coatings on the lens, and conventional paper towels can scratch the lens.

1 day 15 hours ago #763788 by Razky

Zach Mosher wrote: First let me say that I've never used glass cleaner for cleaning my lenses. But seeing that we are talking about this, what's the worst thing that could happen from doing this?

I wouldn't expect the cleaner to cause problems, but for sure you should only use lens tissue to wipe the lens - even a micro-fiber cloth can pick up a microscopic piece of abrasive dust and scratch lens coating.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024