Is it illegal to take pictures in a mall?

13 years 1 month ago #34639 by bs3f
I see teenagers taking pictures of themselves all the time, everywhere, especially in the mall. The other day I decided to take my camera into the mall and just take random pictures. Nothing special. I had a security guard come up to me and tell me to stop shooting.
So if it illegal to photograph in the mall? or was the security guard having a bad day?

13 years 1 month ago #34640 by Blue Pill
malls and shopping centers are private property and have strict no-photography without prior permission rule. Although they can be a bit aggressive with their enforcement by security guards who relish any bit of authority there is a legitimate business reason for them to control their image. Do a search for "people of walmart" and you can see how a brand can take a hit.

13 years 1 month ago #34641 by tennis man
the mall thinks everyone is out to take photos of their "copyrighted signs" and to make money off of them.

13 years 1 month ago #34642 by bs3f

Blue Pill wrote: malls and shopping centers are private property and have strict no-photography without prior permission rule. Although they can be a bit aggressive with their enforcement by security guards who relish any bit of authority there is a legitimate business reason for them to control their image. Do a search for "people of walmart" and you can see how a brand can take a hit.

I didn't know malls were private property. I wish there was a sign at the mall saying no photography allowed.

13 years 1 month ago #34648 by chasrich
I had a totally different experience. Last December I was taking photos of the Christmas decorations and specifically their mall Santa for costume ideas. I was shooting people coming and going as well as zooming in for close ups - just going shutter bug crazy :toocrazy: . At one point the security guard came up and asked me about my camera. He wanted to know what it cost, how did I like it, what were the shots like and I even think I took his photo. I suppose some malls object but not all. Perhaps they might worry if I was casing the place shooting where their security cams are located etc.

Just this past weekend I went into Bass Pro and shot a bunch of wilderness/outdoor stuff from inside the cavernous store. Again, there was no protest or even a question about what I was doing.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
13 years 1 month ago #34663 by Lambe
Shopping Malls are public areas but privately owned and each will have its own rules regarding taking photos. Is it illegal to take photos the short answer is no. For something to be illegal you have to be breaking an actual law (here passed in parliment or in other countries a state law etc).
However nothing is ever that simple and being private property the owners have the right to impose their own rules regarding the use of photography on their premises. IMHO

13 years 1 month ago #34724 by qualityresults
There is also the location that you are also taking pictures if where you are taking pictures is from public land, they would be hard pressed to enforce it. The rule of thumb here is if there can be no expectation of privacy then no privacy can be given.

However, for the mall and in the mall, the rule must be posted and in a public place. You can not be expected to know the rules if they are no where to be found. AND

The rules must be enforced equally. That includes camcorders point and shoots and cell phone cameras......

13 years 1 month ago #34757 by Joves

Lambe wrote: Shopping Malls are public areas but privately owned and each will have its own rules regarding taking photos. Is it illegal to take photos the short answer is no. For something to be illegal you have to be breaking an actual law (here passed in parliment or in other countries a state law etc).
However nothing is ever that simple and being private property the owners have the right to impose their own rules regarding the use of photography on their premises. IMHO

:agree:
This also includes if you are in their parking lot. The most they can do to you is kick you off property. Now if you are on a sidewalk shooting the mall they cant do a thing. The guards will not bother teens much when it comes down to them shooting self photos because that is the majority of their customer base.

13 years 1 month ago #34758 by Yasko
Interesting. In your case it was probably a policy your particular mall had, as all malls aren't like that. I've taken pictures in a local mall complete with mall cops present, and nobody said a thing.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024