Need some help with lens fungus prevention

13 years 2 months ago #34819 by Vahrenkamp
I live in Hawaii where as you can image there is moisture all around us. I was looking to get some thoughts on how you prevent lens fungus? There are some blogs that have some opinions on them, I was hoping to get some direct feedback from more experienced photographers. Well let me take that back, all the information I could find was out dated, so perhaps some new prevention methods would be great.

Thank you for help.

Brad

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #34821 by Joves
You might want to get otr make a dry box. Then there are the Silica bags you can buy for in the bag. But for home storage the dry box is the best solution.

13 years 2 months ago #34829 by Vahrenkamp
Thank you, now are there any methods for when I'm out in the field? I'm only home late at night as I work a couple jobs and always out in the elements.

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #34831 by Yasko
At the time I got them, a couple of the manual lenses I collected had very faint hints of fungus formation in the edges. I figure since fungus wants a damp environment, I got silica gel pellets at Micheals (a craft store chain), which works as a desiccant. I fill up fuji film canisters 1/4 way full, poke holes in the lid with a tack, and store them with the lenses. So far no new fungus growth. Maybe not necessary as I live in a moderate environment, but better safe than sorry. I change out the pellets a couple times a year or so. If Hawaii is constantly humid, I'd change the pellets more often, and include humidity test strips. I heard somewhere leaving the lens with aperature wide open in direct sunlight for a day can kill fungus spores, but I wouldn't subject a lens to that for fear it would get too hot....

There's a flickr buddy of mine that collects HUNDREDS of manual lenses, and he's had his share of fungus riddled lenses. Strange but true, he takes these lenses apart and uses cold-cream and zippo fluid to remove fungus. I asked him if it effects lens coatings, and he swears up and down it's completely safe. Take it for what it's worth. Here's his process:

www.flickr.com/photos/indianadinos/page33/
www.flickr.com/photos/indianadinos/page32/

13 years 2 months ago #34842 by Vahrenkamp

Yasko wrote: At the time I got them, a couple of the manual lenses I collected had very faint hints of fungus formation in the edges. I figure since fungus wants a damp environment, I got silica gel pellets at Micheals (a craft store chain), which works as a desiccant. I fill up fuji film canisters 1/4 way full, poke holes in the lid with a tack, and store them with the lenses. So far no new fungus growth. Maybe not necessary as I live in a moderate environment, but better safe than sorry. I change out the pellets a couple times a year or so. If Hawaii is constantly humid, I'd change the pellets more often, and include humidity test strips. I heard somewhere leaving the lens with aperature wide open in direct sunlight for a day can kill fungus spores, but I wouldn't subject a lens to that for fear it would get too hot....

There's a flickr buddy of mine that collects HUNDREDS of manual lenses, and he's had his share of fungus riddled lenses. Strange but true, he takes these lenses apart and uses cold-cream and zippo fluid to remove fungus. I asked him if it effects lens coatings, and he swears up and down it's completely safe. Take it for what it's worth. Here's his process:

www.flickr.com/photos/indianadinos/page33/
www.flickr.com/photos/indianadinos/page32/

He takes the lenses literally completely apart? What about aligning the glass elements back up? I may be talking out of my butt, however I never have had a lens apart before. Frankly I wouldn't know how to even open one!

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #34850 by Yasko

Vahrenkamp wrote: He takes the lenses literally completely apart? What about aligning the glass elements back up? I may be talking out of my butt, however I never have had a lens apart before. Frankly I wouldn't know how to even open one!

Well, remember those are vintage lenses, most of them 40+ years old. All prime lenses with very simple construction compared to today's zooming autofocus lenses which have epoxy seals and electronics. I wouldn't consider taking apart my modern lenses. Let a repair facility do that. I have no doubt I could take apart and re-assemble my old takumars with a jeweler's screwdriver and a lens plunger though.

13 years 2 months ago #35145 by Vahrenkamp

Yasko wrote:

Vahrenkamp wrote: He takes the lenses literally completely apart? What about aligning the glass elements back up? I may be talking out of my butt, however I never have had a lens apart before. Frankly I wouldn't know how to even open one!

Well, remember those are vintage lenses, most of them 40+ years old. All prime lenses with very simple construction compared to today's zooming autofocus lenses which have epoxy seals and electronics. I wouldn't consider taking apart my modern lenses. Let a repair facility do that. I have no doubt I could take apart and re-assemble my old takumars with a jeweler's screwdriver and a lens plunger though.

Ok, that makes sense. I wouldn't take a new lens apart myself :silly:

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #35241 by Bill Murphy
This only happens on older lenses, right?

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #35246 by Yasko
Not necessarily. Older lenses are much more prone to it though. Looser tolerances let more moisture and dust in. Modern weather sealed lenses shouldn't get it all unless you immerse them in water.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024