Question for outside portrait photographers or wedding photographers

13 years 2 months ago #38983 by John Ledder
After I helped my wife out by taking some portrait photos of your office workers, she bought me this photographers vest that has all these pockets all over the place. I guess she got tired of seeing me carry all my gear with me. :whistle: Or having the vest is permission to buy more gear to fill it up :banana: :whistle: .

Back to my question, how do you carry your gear? I mean this vest is great, but honestly I'm forgetting what pocket I stuck items in. So when you are on a shoot and moving around, how in the world do you lug all your gear around?

Family, Fishing, Fotography :)
Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #38996 by hopper
I have a nice camera bag, but I found it ties up one hand to carry it. I like to spend a lot of time hiking, so I bought a backpack big enough to hold the camera bag. Problem solved. Both hands are free and I can actually comfortably carry more weight in the backback than in a hand-carried bag.

13 years 2 months ago #39068 by John Ledder
So does anyone use a photographers vest?

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #39108 by Fallin Star
I would think a vest would be a good use for portrait and wedding photography.

13 years 2 months ago #39126 by crystal

John Ledder wrote: So does anyone use a photographers vest?

I don't really shoot portraits, and only photograph one wedding, which was enough for me.
I do have a vest, that I used to shoot nature. I loved using the vest. I used up until I bought my 50-500mm lens. There was no way that lens was going into the vest. So I bought a backpack camera bag.
The vest is comfortable to wear. If you even out the weight of the gear you have in the vest, there is no problem carrying it. Easy access to all equipment.
Out of everything I have, I like the vest because I am always switching lenses. However I have gained too much equipment to use it.
13 years 2 months ago #39177 by John Ledder

crystal wrote:

I don't really shoot portraits, and only photograph one wedding, which was enough for me.
I do have a vest, that I used to shoot nature. I loved using the vest. I used up until I bought my 50-500mm lens. There was no way that lens was going into the vest. So I bought a backpack camera bag.
The vest is comfortable to wear. If you even out the weight of the gear you have in the vest, there is no problem carrying it. Easy access to all equipment.
Out of everything I have, I like the vest because I am always switching lenses. However I have gained too much equipment to use it.

How is the vest loaded up on a hot summer day? Does it just cook you or does it provide some ventilation?

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #39182 by crystal

John Ledder wrote:

crystal wrote:

How is the vest loaded up on a hot summer day? Does it just cook you or does it provide some ventilation?

It has ventilation. On a hot summer day, I'm hot to begin with. When I take it off, I can feel a difference. Just like when you take a shirt off, compare to having one on. But, the one I have has air rented holes. So when there is a breeze, I can feel it.
13 years 2 months ago #39194 by Rob pix4u2
I shoot sports mainly but use a vest every shoot. It works great to carry my gear/lenses/extras. I have it on in my avatar, the sleeves are removeable for when it gets hot. I also have a photo backpack

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

13 years 2 months ago #39228 by Moe
Have you looked at the sling bags?

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony a9 III is a powerhouse professional-grade camera. The question is, should it be the next item in your camera bag? Find out if it’s worth the money in this comprehensive review!

Jun 09, 2024

The Hasselblad 907X 50C certainly isn’t the camera for everyone. However, this medium-format system is ideal for many professional photographers (and videographers!)

Jun 04, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Sony a9 III is a powerhouse professional-grade camera. The question is, should it be the next item in your camera bag? Find out if it’s worth the money in this comprehensive review!

Jun 09, 2024

Wedding photography trends come and go, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t exciting at the moment! This year’s top trends include old and new technologies and techniques to create lasting memories.

Jun 09, 2024

The Sony ZV-1 Mark II is a nice update to the ZV-1 and expands Sony’s lineup of cameras for vlogging and content creation. Is it the right camera for you, though? Let’s find out!

Jun 09, 2024

Having a solid client management system allows you to build a more sustainable business with a larger number of repeat clients. But how do you do that? Let’s find out!

Jun 05, 2024

Canyon photography is an interesting niche of landscape photography that has some distinct challenges like harsh light and shadows. But with the right preparation, you can capture epic shots!

Jun 04, 2024

The Hasselblad 907X 50C certainly isn’t the camera for everyone. However, this medium-format system is ideal for many professional photographers (and videographers!)

Jun 04, 2024

The process is actually quite straightforward if you want to print from iPhone. But, if you need a little guidance, this guide is what you need! Dive in and learn how to print smartphone photos!

Jun 04, 2024

The Fuji X-T5 is a mid-range camera ideal for beginners who need a high-powered camera body to professionals looking for a solid second camera - and many uses in between!

Jun 03, 2024