How are you getting to the birds to shoot with your camera?

13 years 1 month ago #40111 by Conner
I've seen some nice bird photos and wondering where are you all finding these winged friends? I was thinking about a zoo, but wanted to see if there was common places to find them. I'm guessing many of you are going to say the woods or wild. What are some tips to finding them, shooting them? Do you toss out bird food and just wait for them?

Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago #40119 by Baydream
I set up feeders for both songbirds and hummingbirds.
A lot of times, I set my camera on a tripod, pre-focus on the plane of the feeder and user a radio remote shutter to snap the shots when the little guys come to the feeder. For most of the eagles, I walk up to the tree, say hello and patiently wait for them to move (or "pose").

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago #40121 by chasrich
I use a boat. It gets me in quietly to wildlife that for the most part don't see a lot of human traffic. I also go to some of the parks in Orlando. The zoo is a good idea too. I think the use of a lens over 200mm is important too.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
13 years 1 month ago #40126 by Baydream
I should also mention when yo put out seed, pull up a comfy chair and sit very still and quiet. The birds will get used to you after a while.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago #40136 by Joves
I go out in the woods, put on my ghilles suit and sit quietly and wait.

13 years 1 month ago #40158 by Stealthy Ninja
telephoto
13 years 1 month ago #40162 by bhowdy
Conner -
What types of birds are you most interested in photographing? Small backyard type birds .... birds in the wild? Others?

Bird photography is one of my primary passions, having sold images, been published, contribute to Cornell Labs, won awards, etc. So I can talk on this subject until I bore most people.

I have an aviary area set up on our property that incorporates feeders, water and then photo opportunity perches. I use this for my yard bird images.

I make 3-4 trips to Florida each year, just for bird photography. You live in a birding mecca .... lots of places to go ... of course the first places are the beaches for the shore birds and waders. I have not worked the south Florida area .... farthest south for me has been Everglades. Central Florida has lots of opportunities and I could create a long list of great places to try.

There are two excellent places in Florida to photograph nesting wading birds each year. Both are tourist sites, but not truly zoos. Alligator Farm in St. Augustine and Gator Land, near Orlando. (Gator Farm is my favorite) Both locations have large groups of nesting Egrets (all), Herons, Ibis, Spoonbills, etc. You work from catwalks over the alligators, the gators ironically create a safe haven for the nesting birds, providing them protection from predators.

The Miami area has the bonus of captive Flamingos and wild parrots of all kinds. Lots of places up the east coast from you, that are an easy day trip for numerous subjects.

The Florida birding community has a very active email listserve that allows folks to post bird sighting reports, which allow you to know where others are seeing certain birds. The reports are sent by email to subscribers of the list (free).

Florida Birding List Serve

Bird photography gets much easier with a long lens. I personally recommend at least 400mm, if possible.

Easily 99% of my bird images are of wild birds, in natural settings. This takes some knowledge of where to go, habits of the birds, patience and lots of practice .... but if I can do it so can you.

If you want some other great spots for bird photography in Florida drop me a PM (private message) and I will give you my opinions.

Bob Howdeshell

"If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera" ~ Lewis Hine

13 years 1 month ago #40173 by Conner
Honestly guys, I don't have a single clue about what birds I want to shoot, I don't know much about them. All I know is that I would like to get involved into bird photography. So your tips and suggestions are very helpful!

Thank you :beerbang:

Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago #40193 by Yasko
bhowdy :thumbsup:

I dabble in the birds, I'm of the opinion virtually any wild bird is worth shooting, really. So get out there and shoot whatever you can find....or just start right at home in your backyard. An easy trick is to put out food in your yard that's just out of view, behind say, a branch or stump or mound of leaves. Then set up a telephoto and wait for the songbirds to land.

Some wild ones are very easy to start with. Mallard ducks, Canadian geese, and egrets for example.

One thing to remember, birds don't recognize shapes so much as movement. If you sit still long enough, they'll get used to you. The sit and wait approach really works. Patience is the name of the game.

The following user(s) said Thank You: charlie day
13 years 1 month ago #40220 by neal1977
Set up some bird feeders :thumbsup:

Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago #40224 by chasrich
For seagulls... have a friend wear a bread crumb suit.. Make sure you take out a policy before hand.

C:\fakepath\P4160964.JPG

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
13 years 1 month ago #40237 by Rob pix4u2
Thanks Bob for all of the pointers, I love humming birds myself and found that Colorado is a great place for shooting them in the wild.

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

13 years 1 month ago #40240 by bhowdy

chasrich wrote: For seagulls... have a friend wear a bread crumb suit.. Make sure you take out a policy before hand.

C:\fakepath\P4160964.JPG

+1 :thumbsup:

Bob Howdeshell

"If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera" ~ Lewis Hine

13 years 1 month ago #40259 by effron
I use feeding, set up a blind, have a boat, and hang out near nesting sites. If I stay awake, can get pretty good shots.....B)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago #40266 by crystal
My bird photos are all over. Some are from my own backyard, with or without feeder. There is a state park that is 10mins from me, that has several bird feeders, that same park, I'll walk around to shoot birds in trees, eating the berries from the trees etc.. My husband and I bought kayaks so we can go down the river to shoot eagles and herons (but more for the eagles) as the herons I can get shots just by accessing the river from many different areas, or going to the local state park. That same state park, I have taken countless of pictures of turkey vultures and hawks. When I lived in the country, I had bird feed out and many different species of birds came to visit (I wish I had these same birds here in town).
My husband and I also travel to get bird photos....3hrs south from us in Maryland is a dam on the same river that is near me. Eagles pretty much live at this dam to fish. 2hrs north of me in NY, there is a wildlife refuge where we have photograph herons, eagles, ospreys and hawks all in the wild.
We have gone to zoos, but most of my wildlife photos are 100% wildlife.

With wildlife, you have to sit, wait, have patience and go where they go....(that's if you want more then the backyard bird).
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlie day

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024