How do you keep the sensor clean?

13 years 2 weeks ago #46276 by D1ixo
I'm getting a little sick of cloning dust spots from my shots. I was having a look through some old shots and started seeing that it's the same spots I've had since I got it (second hand). For this reason I'm not sure if a blower brush is likely to shift it.

How can I clean the sensor and keep it clean?

13 years 2 weeks ago #46332 by photobod
Go to a photography shop buy a sensor cleaning kit, download a tutorial to see how its done and hey presto, its easier than you think.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

13 years 2 weeks ago #46335 by Zardoz
Your first shot should have been of a white wall at your highest F stop and checked for problems right off the bat, by looking at that shot on you computer. If it came that way I would not have bought it. Or returned it (that is why you should buy used in person). NEVER use canned air in or near seams close or by the opening or cracks by the lens coupling when cleaning or dusting you camera, and never never point it at your sensor. There are plenty links to how to clean your sensor google the question and read a few to get the overview. Then proceed with caution as you mechanical and eye hand coordination allow, just remember that if you mess it up you might as well turn it over and use it for a ash tray. I would consider getting a local guy to clean it (around $50) and if it is better concentrate on keeping it clean. The less time you have a camera body without a lens on it the cleaner it is gong to be. Have your next lens ready to be put on in a protected environment as you can muster up. You do not want to be changing lenses when a helicopter is landing on the helipad! I never lay my camera body toward the sky the least I do if hold it horizontal, sometimes facing down. True that light dust is more driven by air current than gravity, but I figure it helps. Keep you caps on the lenses (both ends) and these steps should help.

13 years 2 weeks ago #46352 by chasrich
I started to post this same question yesterday. I noticed some fuzzy spots repeated on a lot of shots that had sky in them. I scrubbed the lens several times wondering if there was some fungus among us in the lens. I remembered there was a sensor cleaning function on my camera. That seemed to work. I was thinking ahead to the next time when the automated cleaning failed to correct the problem. So thanks for the advice guys. I'll add a cleaning kit to my gadget bag. For the OP check if your camera has this function. I think it is fairly new on the options list. :cheers:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
13 years 2 weeks ago #46361 by photobod
Its expensive to have it Pro cleaned, and why pay that when it isnt difficult to do, one other tip make sure your battery is fully charged and that you use the mirror lock up function, dont just set your mirror to be opened for a few minutes, the last thing you need is for the mirror to pop down with your sensor cleaning brush inside, now that would be costly.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024