Just ordered Manfrotto 327RC2 Joystick head

13 years 6 months ago #4706 by Travel Nut
I have one of their ball heads which I will keep as a spare. A buddy of mine who lives in Hawaii has one of these and was telling me about it. Looked like B&H had the best pricing this time around for $189. I'm suppose to receive it Tuesday, I'm hoping this is a better feel when adjusting camera position.

Speaking of which, anyone have one of these?

13 years 6 months ago #4710 by bhowdy
I don't have one .... But have friends that "rave" about it

Bob Howdeshell

"If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera" ~ Lewis Hine

13 years 6 months ago #4712 by Travel Nut

bhowdy wrote: I don't have one .... But have friends that "rave" about it

Well I hope I'm going to be "raving" also about it when it comes!

What head set up are you using, and BTW what lens is shown in your avatar? That looks like a monster!

13 years 6 months ago - 13 years 6 months ago #4721 by bhowdy
I have a couple of ball heads ... a Manfrotto and an Acratech Ultimate, that I really like. And I also have a Wimberley Gimbal head for my large lenses. The lens in the photo is a Canon 500mm IS f/4L.

I hope that you are passing on to all of us that the Manfrotto Joystick is great too ... of course then I will probably want one! Ha

Bob Howdeshell

"If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera" ~ Lewis Hine

13 years 6 months ago #4725 by Travel Nut

bhowdy wrote: I have a couple of ball heads ... a Manfrotto and an Acratech Ultimate, that I really like. And I also have a Wimberley Gimbel head for my large lenses. The lens in the photo is a Canon 500mm IS f/4L.

I hope that you are passing on to all of us that the Manfrotto Joystick is great too ... of course then I will probably want one! Ha

That is the only down side with talking to other photographers, you end up wanting what they have! :silly: How do you like that Acratech? If you don't mind me asking what area of photography is your sweet spot?

13 years 6 months ago - 13 years 6 months ago #4841 by bhowdy

That is the only down side with talking to other photographers, you end up wanting what they have!

I agree with that statement! I like the Acratech ...... It's a substantial ball head that allows me to shoot horizontal or vertical without and "L" bracket. Just flip the ball 90 degrees. My "sweet spot" for photography is wildlife, but I have been shooting more and more landscapes .... which makes sense because I am outdoors all the time anyway!

What about you? What do you like to photograph best?

Bob Howdeshell

13 years 6 months ago #4854 by Travel Nut

bhowdy wrote:

That is the only down side with talking to other photographers, you end up wanting what they have!

I agree with that statement! I like the Acratech ...... It's a substantial ball head that allows me to shoot horizontal or vertical without and "L" bracket. Just flip the ball 90 degrees. My "sweet spot" for photography is wildlife, but I have been shooting more and more landscapes .... which makes sense because I am outdoors all the time anyway!

What about you? What do you like to photograph best?

I'm what you call a passionate photography hobbyist with no sense of direction. I pretty much shoot just about anything and really haven't become specialized at anything. However I do to enjoy getting on on a hick and trying to find those nature shots. Where you from?

13 years 6 months ago #4875 by Moe
So what is pro an con's with this type of head?

Photo Comments
13 years 6 months ago #4880 by bhowdy
Maryville, Tennessee .... about 20 miles south of Knoxville.

Bob Howdeshell

13 years 6 months ago #4884 by bhowdy
Moe,
I do not have one of these but here are a couple of links that should help explain the advantages of the Manfrotto grip

You Tube Video

B&H Photo Reviews

Bob Howdeshell

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024