Battery Grip

13 years 3 weeks ago #48471 by Addum899
Does anyone use a battery grip? How do you like it, are they worth buying?

13 years 3 weeks ago #48475 by jscicluna
I use one with my Nikon D300, the MB-10. If you shoot vertical it's worth having. I keeps your hand in a natural postion while shooting.

13 years 3 weeks ago #48487 by Tclean95
What's the point to a battery grip? Is it just a bigger hold onto the camera.

13 years 3 weeks ago #48523 by Graflex 4x5
I've got the MB-10 on my D300, and for me, makes the camera much easier to hold (big hands, small fingers). Filled with AA recharagables it adds a bit to the overall weight, but I can shoot all day and if I need to get battiers on the fly ..... AA's are everywhere. Using the MB-10 also increases the camera's frames per second speed. And as mentioned, makes vertical shots a snap.

As with anything marked "Nikon" it's expensive, but with Nikons their products work the best.

No matter how fast I go, there's always someone slower in front of me.
13 years 3 weeks ago #48525 by chasrich
:agree:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
13 years 3 weeks ago - 13 years 3 weeks ago #48720 by Baydream
I bought a Zeikos grip for my Canon XSi. OUTSTANDING. Half the price of the Canon and meets or exceeds the cust reviews. Holds two batteries for LONG term shoots and is handy for vertical shots. Only downside is that it makes the camera heavier.
I LOVE mine.

Not sure if the make one for the XS (got mine at B&H).

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 3 weeks ago #48785 by Joves

Tclean95 wrote: What's the point to a battery grip? Is it just a bigger hold onto the camera.

First more power. Then the benefit of having the grip be pretty much the same in portrait oreintation with all of the controls. So you dont have to put your hands in odd positions. I have one and use it when I need it, otherwise it is off the camera.

13 years 3 weeks ago #48883 by Zardoz

Graflex 4x5 wrote: I've got the MB-10 on my D300, and for me, makes the camera much easier to hold (big hands, small fingers). Filled with AA recharagables it adds a bit to the overall weight, but I can shoot all day and if I need to get battiers on the fly ..... AA's are everywhere. Using the MB-10 also increases the camera's frames per second speed. And as mentioned, makes vertical shots a snap.

As with anything marked "Nikon" it's expensive, but with Nikons their products work the best.

Very interesting, I have one and never use it, I figure it would be good for extra remote places and 500 pounds of batteries, but the faster rock and roll, is new to me!

13 years 3 weeks ago #49020 by Graflex 4x5

Zardoz wrote:

Graflex 4x5 wrote: I've got the MB-10 on my D300, and for me, makes the camera much easier to hold (big hands, small fingers). Filled with AA recharagables it adds a bit to the overall weight, but I can shoot all day and if I need to get battiers on the fly ..... AA's are everywhere. Using the MB-10 also increases the camera's frames per second speed. And as mentioned, makes vertical shots a snap.

Very interesting, I have one and never use it, I figure it would be good for extra remote places and 500 pounds of batteries, but the faster rock and roll, is new to me!

Guess you've never carried an older 'all metal' camera with long glass, like an early F3 or a Super Speed Graflex. The cameras of today seem puny in comparison.

13 years 3 weeks ago #49112 by Village Clown

jscicluna wrote: I use one with my Nikon D300, the MB-10. If you shoot vertical it's worth having. I keeps your hand in a natural postion while shooting.

Good to know, I shoot with a D300 and have been thinking about getting one of these. Are you finding your batteries are lasting longer?

Photo Comments
13 years 3 weeks ago #49139 by jscicluna

Village Clown wrote:

jscicluna wrote: I use one with my Nikon D300, the MB-10. If you shoot vertical it's worth having. I keeps your hand in a natural postion while shooting.

Good to know, I shoot with a D300 and have been thinking about getting one of these. Are you finding your batteries are lasting longer?

Yep, because now you are using two sets of batteries. The Nikon Battery that is in the camera and the other set that is in the grip.

13 years 2 weeks ago #50453 by Graflex 4x5
I use the MB-10's batterys 1st, then the internal battery as a fall back. Using nickle metal hydrate in the grip, I can't remember if I've ever run out of power .... and I often come home with 4 - 8 Gig cards full.

13 years 2 weeks ago #50480 by Fire Blade
I was browsing battery grips for all camera brands, and I took notice the Nikon D7000 battery grip is over $200 compare to everyone else who is under $100. Does anyone know why there is a big price difference?

13 years 2 weeks ago #50597 by Graflex 4x5

Fire Blade wrote: I was browsing battery grips for all camera brands, and I took notice the Nikon D7000 battery grip is over $200 compare to everyone else who is under $100. Does anyone know why there is a big price difference?

Can you say N-I-K-O-N? That's why.

Hate to say it, great camera, great accessories .... not so great price. BUT you do get what you pay for.

13 years 2 weeks ago #50738 by Joves

Graflex 4x5 wrote:

Fire Blade wrote: I was browsing battery grips for all camera brands, and I took notice the Nikon D7000 battery grip is over $200 compare to everyone else who is under $100. Does anyone know why there is a big price difference?

Can you say N-I-K-O-N? That's why.

Hate to say it, great camera, great accessories .... not so great price. BUT you do get what you pay for.

Thats not the only reason. It is designed to be fully intergrated to the camera. Some of the off brands will work but, from complaints I have heard from other forums they dont last as long nor do they work 100% of the time.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024