When to use a Lensbaby, worth buying?

13 years 6 months ago #4959 by Billy 9
Just registered here and thought I would post my first question. I have been looking at getting one of those Lensbaby composers but still trying to figure out how often would the lens get used. Last year I bought a fish eye lens that I thought was going to be a keeper, I got bored of it after a couple weeks and sold the lens. I would like to see what lensbaby users are saying please.

13 years 6 months ago #4963 by Screamin Scott
Don't have one but have several friends that either do or did. Like other specialized items (like your fisheye lens) they are only to achieve a certain "look" & can become boring after awhile. I have a friend in Colorado who was using hers a lot last year when I visited, but she recently sold hers. Then again, I have a local pro who swears by them & is always trying to get others to get one ( I think he has a vested interest though, he also heavily promotes Tamron gear & is always getting samples to use from them)

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
13 years 6 months ago #4994 by Billy 9
That is what I'm afraid of, I wish there was a way to try out one of these first. Decisions Decisions!! :huh:

13 years 6 months ago #4998 by Screamin Scott
Go to a photo store with your camera & ask them to let you try it out while at the store...

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments
13 years 6 months ago #5000 by Billy 9

Screamin Scott wrote: Go to a photo store with your camera & ask them to let you try it out while at the store...

Good idea Scott, however I'm talking about using it for a few days at least to get the feel for it. Has your friend ever let you use his? What has stopped you from picking up one?

13 years 6 months ago #5008 by Screamin Scott
I've seen the results from them & I'm just not super excited by them

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #8522 by Ziggy
I have a friend who has one of these, matter of fact he is dropping it off this weekend for me to play with. If I like I just might pick up one myself. He seems to like it, he did mention that there is a learning curve, will see.

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #8549 by Noah Lucky

Screamin Scott wrote: Go to a photo store with your camera & ask them to let you try it out while at the store...

Never thought about asking before. I will need to give this a shot next time at the camera store.

13 years 4 months ago #9533 by Tuscany
Seeing that your camera can't meter for correct exposure with one of these on, how do you get correct exposure? Stand alone light meter?

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #9563 by Fiesta!

Tuscany wrote: Seeing that your camera can't meter for correct exposure with one of these on, how do you get correct exposure? Stand alone light meter?

I just got one for Christmas so will let you know when I get this out of the box!

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #10875 by Street Shark
I had just been speaking to another photographer about a Lensbaby yesterday. Funny thing is that he referred to it as a cult lens, something that has worked very well for them. I might pick up one myself.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #10878 by Scotty
They're very specialized, and I'd recommend extending the range of your standard lenses over this. Especially since these things are like 300-400 bucks.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #10973 by neal1977

Scotty wrote: They're very specialized, and I'd recommend extending the range of your standard lenses over this. Especially since these things are like 300-400 bucks.

Oh yeah, you can get a nice f1.4 50mm for the cost of this lens. :dry:

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #11035 by crystal
I have a lensbaby. It's a cool lens, nice toy to play with, but I barely use it. I barely used it when I first got it. I want to use it more, I'm just not as interested in it as I thought I would be. I could get very interested in using it, if I could just put down the other lenses I have. It's a speciality lens, just like the fish eye. I really want a fish eye too, but can't afford one.
13 years 3 months ago #13628 by Travel Nut

cwightmanphotos wrote: I have a lensbaby. It's a cool lens, nice toy to play with, but I barely use it. I barely used it when I first got it. I want to use it more, I'm just not as interested in it as I thought I would be. I could get very interested in using it, if I could just put down the other lenses I have. It's a speciality lens, just like the fish eye. I really want a fish eye too, but can't afford one.

Sell your lens baby and get a used fish eye lens

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024