Caves and plastic bags for condensation?

13 years 3 weeks ago #50773 by Francis
A friend of mine just asked me about going to West Virginia to go hiking in some super deep caves in June. I sent him a email back asking which ones and I'm waiting for answer. I have done some searching and found some caves there are nearly 700 feet deep. I'm wondering would I have any problems with condensation at that depth? If so would plastic bags wrapped around my camera keep them safe?

Thanks! I'm sure this has got to be a odd ball question.

Francis

Photo Comments
13 years 3 weeks ago #50781 by chasrich
I shot some caves in MO last summer. There is lots of water in there both running on the ground, dripping from the walls and ceiling and humidity in the air. It only became a problem for me when we started on our way back up. There was some condensation on the lens at one point and really no way to wipe it or blow it dry. I just waited for the camera to warm back up a little then went on with the clicking. There was no damage to my camera.

Anything you wrap in plastic will be double edged. IF any moisture gets in it will have a tough time getting out.

Will there be any ambient light? If so take a tripod for some time exposures. Use a flash some too and see what gives the best results.

fog alert...

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
Attachments:
13 years 3 weeks ago #50815 by Screamin Scott
I used to go spelunking many years ago in & around Franklin West Virginia...Took my old film camera with me but haven't a clue where the shots are now...DSLR's (especially entry level models, are not weather sealed like the pro models are. You can use a plastic bag, or if you have extra cash, get an underwater housing for the best protection

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
13 years 3 weeks ago #50851 by photobod
A clear pastic back wrapped around the camera with an elastic band at the end of the lens, so only the end of the lens is outside the bag, it will give some protection, but you will need to carry a cloth or lens tissues to keep the lens clean.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

13 years 3 weeks ago #50987 by Francis

Screamin Scott wrote: I used to go spelunking many years ago in & around Franklin West Virginia...Took my old film camera with me but haven't a clue where the shots are now...DSLR's (especially entry level models, are not weather sealed like the pro models are. You can use a plastic bag, or if you have extra cash, get an underwater housing for the best protection

Man, but those underwater housings are so darn expensive! :dry:

Photo Comments
13 years 3 weeks ago #51109 by Moe
How deep do those caves get at deepest point you can get to?

Photo Comments
13 years 3 weeks ago #51432 by Mah and PaH
How fun! Please post some photos up after.

13 years 3 weeks ago #51725 by nanhi
I would recommend going into wet & humid caves with the Pentax K20D / K-7 / K-5 with a Pentax WR lens. They are the worlds best sealed cameras. Here are some photos.

[attachment:10]C:\fakepath\Pentax K20D+18-55.jpg[/attachment]

Photo Comments
Attachments:
13 years 3 weeks ago #51954 by Moe

nanhi wrote: I would recommend going into wet & humid caves with the Pentax K20D / K-7 / K-5 with a Pentax WR lens. They are the worlds best sealed cameras. Here are some photos.

[attachment:10]C:\fakepath\Pentax K20D+18-55.jpg[/attachment]

I feel so bad for those cameras!!

Photo Comments
13 years 3 weeks ago - 13 years 3 weeks ago #52132 by Zardoz
I have done many primitive cave trips and have found dirt in places pigs have not thought of, and my clothes, packs, lights; everything! Taking in your expensive equipment into a cave you have never been in before can be asking for trouble. Find out the name of the cave you are going to and do some research on it yourself. Google images of the place, look on flicker, smugmug etc and see what others have shot. With the internet you can find the conditions of many caves, if it is a wheelchair assessable cave, bring the camera, if not consider a waterproof disposable for you first visit.

13 years 3 weeks ago #52318 by nanhi
Hey Moe, don't fell bad for those cameras. They can take all the dust, dirt, rain and snow thrown at them. I went with my Pentax K20D behind the Niagara falls and also very very close to the falls in the Canadian side in the "Maid of the Mist" ship - terrible gusty & windy spray - soaks your skin. I just went on wiping my filter and shooting. The shots are a bit fuzzy due to the water smear on the filter, the foggy spray, and the dancing ship.
All the Canikon DSLR

chaps were in awe of my camera when they had packed up theirs.[/b] In fact some P&S cameras were pretty busy

Photo Comments
Attachments:
13 years 3 weeks ago #52445 by Francis
When a camera is said to have a weather proof seal, what exactly does this mean guys and gals? Would that keep moisure out, and if so, what about the seal between the lens and camera?

Photo Comments
13 years 3 weeks ago #52669 by nanhi
Oh ho my friend Francis, if I get sand and dust on my Pentax K20D, I just clean it 'carefully & quickly' under a running tap with an air-shower head. That is what the seals on my camera & lens allow me to do. The coating on the lens is very special - scratch & smudge resistant - water just slips down it. But I always keep an SMC (super multi coated) Pentax filter on my lens as an extra precaution.
My God Sir, I have given you (8) photos above of the K20D - tortured under the most camera unfriendly conditions.
Hey Francis, let me know if you want a video of my K20D under a running tap. The seals just don't keep moisture out but water, dust, dirt and sand. But please do understand, you can't take the K20D swimming with you. Also one should not over-do the sand and rain thing. It would be madness.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Tree photography is an interesting genre of landscapes that use the size, shape, and texture of trees as the primary element of interest. With these quick tips, you can master the art of photographing trees!

May 24, 2024

Auto white balance is a camera setting that adjusts the color temperature of your images automatically. It often works well, but you should know a few tips to fix problems it might cause, too.

May 24, 2024

The Canon EOS 5D Mark III might be more than a decade old, but it still has the chops to be a quality camera for photographers in 2024.

May 23, 2024

Starting a photography business can be a daunting task. There is a lot to do, and many mistakes can be made. This guide helps you minimize mistakes and maximize your success!

May 21, 2024

The Canon 6D Mark II might be an older DSLR, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t a good option for 2024. In fact, this budget-friendly camera is a powerhouse for stills and videos.

May 21, 2024

In this guide to the bokeh effect, you’ll learn what bokeh is and the factors involved in creating it. You’ll also explore some beautiful example images to spark your creativity with bokeh!

May 16, 2024

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024