If you had to choose between a new Ballhead vs new tripod...

13 years 4 days ago #51580 by Justin
Which would you choose if you were on a limited budget? I'm new here and just posted up a question about ballheads. I have a set budget, and won't be able to buy both at the same time. I do have a tripod and ballhead right now, but they aren't the greatest and is the reason for upgrading.

I think in few weeks I will be able to pick up the tripod. If you were in the same position and could only buy one of the two right now, would you buy the tripod first or the ballhead?

Very nice to meet you!
Photo Comments
13 years 4 days ago - 13 years 4 days ago #51585 by digishutterbug
Well it would depend. If I thought my tripod was flimsy and not strong enough, I would buy the tripod first. However if the tripod is strong enough and the ballhead is the major problem I would buy that first. Sorry, that probably doesn't help you, but that is what I would do.

13 years 4 days ago #51591 by crystal

digishutterbug wrote: Well it would depend. If I thought my tripod was flimsy and not strong enough, I would buy the tripod first. However if the tripod is strong enough and the ballhead is the major problem I would buy that first. Sorry, that probably doesn't help you, but that is what I would do.

:agree: completely.
13 years 4 days ago #51619 by Foxy Girl
I would go with the tripod first

Photo Comments
13 years 4 days ago #51671 by Jeffster
Tripod would be my first choice

Photo Comments
13 years 4 days ago #51673 by lillton
I thought heads come with the tripod?

13 years 3 days ago #51884 by Justin
Hmm I might need to change my direction here. I was going to go with the ball head first but think I might go with the tripod first now. :unsure:

Very nice to meet you!
Photo Comments
13 years 3 days ago #52032 by ilh2009ky
If your current tripod is not real steady or if it's too heavy to carry on hikes, get a Benro carbon fiber tripod. You can get one for about $250 from BH Photo and/or Adorama. I have one and have been very satisfied. One note of caution, get a model with flip locks on the legs--not the twist lock legs. I used to have a twist lock leg model. After a couple of years, one leg wouldn't retrack. Since I paid about $130 for it, I just ordered a new one with flip locks. The price had gone up to $240 (but it's still a good deal). Benro is a Chinese knock-off of a Gitzo tripod. The Gitzo models costs 3-4 times more. The rumor is thatGitzo went to China to get their tripods manufactured there. "Somehow" their plans were used by a plant on the next mountain to make the Benro knock-offs. For a while, the U. S. companies that sell camera gear and tripods would sell benro but would not advertise them for fear of ticking off Gitzo. Now, everyone is selling Benros. The good thing is that since they are relatively inexpensive, after two years, or when you have additional budget, you can upgrade to a Manfrotto (which is really not that much more costly than the Benro) or a Gitzo (which is the top of the line along with Really Right Stuff).

Really Right Stuf also makes the best ball heads but they have a pretty high cost. Checkout Flashpoint ballheads. You can get a decent one for under $100. I use a Manfrotto three=way tilt head that cost me about $100. It's made of magnesium so it's very lightweight. But, a ball head would be more flexible. I'm like you, I'll use my three-way head until I get the budget for a ball head; but, go with a carbon tripod. Metal tripods just weigh too much; and, in cold weather, the metal really freezes your hands.

Ian Leslie Harry
www.ilhphotography.com

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024