Camera settings in RAW

9 years 8 months ago #56228 by Be Mine 4ever
I think I know the answer to this but would like to confirm...
If you shoot in RAW, camera settings such as "vivid , portrait, monochrome, colour balance" etc. are useless. Correct?
Assuming shooting in manual, exposure compensation is also useless. Correct?
and even shooting in aperture or shutter priority exposre values are not as important...presumably because it is easier to adjust exposure in a RAW file?

So basically while shooting in RAW you are simply capturing all the data available to the sensor and any filters, adjustments etc can be applied in PP.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 8 months ago #56307 by LL Jazz
I believe those camera settings such as vivid etc.. still affect how the image looks on the LCD and maybe even the 'as shot' settings in your RAW software.

Exposure is always important. Yes, RAW files do have more flexibility in terms of exposure...but you should still strive for optimal exposures. If in doubt, bracket.

You are saving all the data from the sensor...without the in-camera processing that you would get with a JPEG file.

9 years 8 months ago #56308 by Be Mine 4ever
Thanks, that's pretty much what I thought.

9 years 8 months ago #56317 by KCook
In theory - yes (small voice)

In practice - not so fast!

My eye does see a difference when I apply the styles to RAW camera settings. So I do use those. Which is not true for everybody by any means. Many prefer to do all of that in PP.

EV compensation in Manual is redundant, which is not exactly the same as useless. Play that game any way you want.

Exposure adjustment in PP definitely has limits. It's still important to get the exposure as "correct" as possible when making the shot. The PP game is to tweak the tones within the given dynamic range. Don't expect to extend the dynamic range in either direction.

Yes RAW captures data. But not your idea of "all" of the data. The sensor still has limitations, so the exposure still needs to be correct.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

9 years 8 months ago #56433 by ilh2009ky
I definitely agree with the above message. Shoot it right the first time whether you are shooting RAW or JPEG. If you are shooting RAW, you only need to make small edits. If you are shooting JPEG, you have a good photo and no need to edit other than maybe cropping. Get into the habit of taking good photos; then the post processing will take it to an even higher level. If you shoot photos that are not so good, there's a limit to how muchg post processing can add to a bad photo.

Ian Leslie Harry
www.ilhphotography.com

The following user(s) said Thank You: McBeth Photography

9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #56453 by Henry Peach

Be Mine 4ever wrote: If you shoot in RAW, camera settings such as "vivid , portrait, monochrome, colour balance" etc. are useless.

Correct. They affect the jpeg shown on the LCD, and thus the histogram displayed on the LCD. i wouldn't say they are useless, but they are not permanent processing changes to the raw file.

Be Mine 4ever wrote: Assuming shooting in manual, exposure compensation is also useless.

Correct. Exposure compensation adjusts what tone the meter is going for. In M exposure mode the meter does not change any settings. This doesn't have anything to do with raw though.

Be Mine 4ever wrote: and even shooting in aperture or shutter priority exposure values are not as important...presumably because it is easier to adjust exposure in a RAW file?

Incorrect. You still want to get a good exposure. In the auto exposure modes (everything except M) the meter sets some of the exposure adjustments, and will be affected by exposure comp. If your exposure is too much over or under you will not be able to recover highlight and shadow detail. If you have to brighten in raw processing you will be increasing apparent noise.

9 years 8 months ago #56483 by KCook

Exposure compensation adjusts what tone the meter is going for. In M exposure mode the meter does not change any settings.

Oops, correct. My Canon disables the EV compensation in Manual mode. But EV is available in the aperture priority and shutter priority modes.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In this FujiFilm X-A7 review, learn why this camera is an excellent entry-level option for beginner photographers.

Jan 18, 2021

The Sony a6100 has been out for over a year now. In this long-term Sony a6100 review, learn all about its features, specs, price, and more.

Jan 13, 2021

The Panasonic G85 might be a few years old, but it still has the specs and features to make it a highly useful camera. Get all the details in this Panasonic G85 review.

Jan 12, 2021

The Olympus OM-D E-M1 I is pushing eight years old, but for budget-minded photographers, it represents excellent value in 2021.

Jan 08, 2021
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

With these basic photography tips, you'll learn about four exciting ways to print your photos that will help you bring your images to life.

Jan 22, 2021

There are plenty of reasons why you should use a teleprompter, not the least of which is to have better eye contact with the camera.

Jan 21, 2021

Learn how to get more leads by optimizing your website and making it as user-friendly as possible. More leads equals more business, so this is an easy way to boost your bottom line.

Jan 19, 2021

Use these simple mobile photography tips to get better results whether you have an iPhone or an Android device.

Jan 19, 2021

Text messaging for business can help you in many ways, from keeping in touch with clients to sending invoices to get paid. Learn other benefits in this photography business guide.

Jan 18, 2021

In this FujiFilm X-A7 review, learn why this camera is an excellent entry-level option for beginner photographers.

Jan 18, 2021

Not everyone is comfortable in front of the camera, but with these portrait photography tips, you'll learn surefire ways to help models relax and have fun.

Jan 18, 2021

It's easy to be inspired in photography, but sometimes you need some photography exercises to regain that creativity. Learn a few creative photography ideas in this guide.

Jan 18, 2021