Can someone explain Exposure Compensation

13 years 5 months ago #7029 by Gabriel Photos
I've seen this mentioned a few places and figured I might as well ask what is it for? When do you use exposure compensation? Does it matter what mode you are shooting in?

Photo Comments
13 years 5 months ago - 13 years 5 months ago #7127 by KVRNut
Exposure compensation eh? That should be covered in your manual but here's the jist of it. Exposure compensation is is used as an exposure correction when operating in an auto mode. Usually exposure compensation is minus or plus a full 2 f/stop range and is marked in 1/3 increments so that you can use an intermediate setting rather than just a full stop.

Let's say you have an unusual lighting condition to take a back lit picture of a subject like say a snow scene, a bright window or a bright day at the beach with the sun reflecting off the water. Under such conditions, your camera may be fooled into under exposing your subject so you give your subject more exposure. How about when you're using a filter? I'll use the exposure compensation when using a ND or polorizer in poor light conditions to extend the exposure times so the picture isn't as dark. On the other side of the coin, there are times when you want to cut the exposure time right back like when you're doing a portrait shot in strong light with the lens aperture wide open. You can use a ND or polorizer filter but then when you're using a fast lens and conditions are bright, use the compensation in addition to the filter so your subject isn't blown out.

Exposure compensation is best used in an auto mode but not a manual mode. I'll frequently use it when I'm shooting in aperture priority with filters screwed on. Makes for an easy step down.

Get out there, experiment, and have some fun!

Hope this helps and hope I got it right... :lol:

13 years 5 months ago #7138 by waynescook
KVRNut has it right. Simply put, exposure compensation is adding or subtracting light from the camera's suggested exposure to achieve a desired effect. It is easier to work in either aperture or shutter priority mode; set one or the other and let the camera set the other one. Then, change the exposure setting depending on the lighting and the effect you want. One of the better photos of birds I have taken was a flock of white-faced ibis taken almost right into the sun on a clear day; I used something like 2 or 2.5 full stops less exposure, and it turned out great! (However, do be careful about pointing your camera right at or near the sun; sensors can be ruined in an instant!)

Like KNRNut said, get out their and experiment, and have fun!

Hope to hear from you again.

WCBIRDSNLANDSC

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024