signing the mat

12 years 11 months ago #70381 by A9 Photo
So I am about to have some photos printed/framed. I plan on signing the mat, but I don't know which way to sign it. Should I sign with only my..

first name
first and last name
first initial and last name
last name only

How do you sign your mats?

12 years 11 months ago #70791 by crystal
Signing your first name will probably work just fine.
12 years 11 months ago #70857 by photobod

crystal wrote: Signing your first name will probably work just fine.

:agree: :agree: :agree:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 11 months ago #70903 by Karl Wertanen
I do first and last. W/out your last name, you're just a "karl". Your last name makes you "you". It's "who you are". :beerbang:
12 years 11 months ago #70985 by John Landolfi

Karl Wertanen wrote: I do first and last. W/out your last name, you're just a "karl". Your last name makes you "you". It's "who you are". :beerbang:

I use an acronym for my first and last names, to keep it less obtrusive.

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #71005 by jordanmcrae

John Landolfi wrote:

Karl Wertanen wrote: I do first and last. W/out your last name, you're just a "karl". Your last name makes you "you". It's "who you are". :beerbang:

I use an acronym for my first and last names, to keep it less obtrusive.

:agree: :goodpost:
12 years 11 months ago #71025 by crystal

:agree: but I feel like my name is just too long to sign both. I don't know. I haven't sign a mat yet.
12 years 10 months ago #75865 by G edge
Those of you who sign the mat, when you sign your first and last name. Do you include the Copyright symbol and year? Also do you sign your straight across like normal or your first name above the last name?

12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #75921 by DestinDave
Ask on 10 different photo sites and you'll probably get 7 different answers.. It comes down to personal preference and style.. I've sold a couple prints lately and asked around and looked at some websites and I like this method:
First of all - I sign the print itself so if the owner wishes to change mats, the signature isn't lost. Adjust either the print size or the mat opening so there is about a 3/8" reveal..
If the print is a limited edition, the print #/edition # goes on the left..
The title goes in the middle, centered..
Signature (and year optionally) on the right..

Dave Speicher
I thought I wanted a career.. turns out I only wanted paychecks.
dlspeicher.zenfolio.com

Attachments:
12 years 10 months ago #76007 by photobod

DestinDave wrote: Ask on 10 different photo sites and you'll probably get 7 different answers.. It comes down to personal preference and style.. I've sold a couple prints lately and asked around and looked at some websites and I like this method:
First of all - I sign the print itself so if the owner wishes to change mats, the signature isn't lost. Adjust either the print size or the mat opening so there is about 1 3/8" reveal..
If the print is a limited edition, the print #/edition # goes on the left..
The title goes in the middle, centered..
Signature (and year optionally) on the right..

Great idea Dave I think this the way I would go if anyone ever buys my photos.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 10 months ago #76025 by Scotty
I've sold a lot of prints. I'm weird though i sign the back, i dont want to take away anything away from the photo. Looks gaudy...but thats just my opinion. :)

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #76149 by Nikonjan
First , last and year

www.betterphoto.com?nikonjan
12 years 10 months ago #76893 by Shadowfixer1
I once spoke to a manager of a high end gallery here in Atlanta that was framing a print of mine for a client. He said you have to sign the print. You can sign the mat, but you if you do, he said to sign the print on the back. He preferred the sig on the front. You sign it as you wish to be known. I use First, Middle initial, last with the year underneath my sig. There is no absolute correct way other than the print should be signed somewhere, front or back. Your choice. Date is optional and most prefer dating on the back only, but I do it on the front because I like it.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024