You ever been NOT paid for a job?

12 years 11 months ago #72427 by Jim Photo
Usually I always get upfront payments for all the work I do. There was a young couple who where needing some engagement photos. I was told that he got paid once a month and was strapped for cash, so I took the photos for them. Just because they seemed like a good young couple. This was 3 months ago! I keep getting "oh Steve is out of town" or "Hi Jim! I bet you are looking for Steve... you just missed him"... and the list goes on. It's only a few hundred is what I charged these guys.

At what point do you just cut the rope's and move on?

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #72431 by crystal
1st time is letting them know they owe you money.
2nd time is a reminder
3rd time is a reminder including, this is your last reminder to pay me, if I do not pay the full amount within X amount of time, then you do not get your photos.

Now I hope you did not give them the photos, without getting the money first?
If you did, did you have them sign a contract?
Because if they have the photos, and they signed a contract, depending what is in that contract, you could sue them for the money.

If they do not have the photos, then if I was you, just let it go. They seem to not care to have the photos.

Now if they do have the photos, then they are playing you. I understand we all at times are tight on money, but they knew about the photo shoot, it happen, they knew about the photos needing to be paid for.
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #72439 by Stealthy Ninja

crystal wrote: 1st time is letting them know they owe you money.
2nd time is a reminder
3rd time is a reminder including, this is your last reminder to pay me, if I do not pay the full amount within X amount of time, then you do not get your photos.

Now I hope you did not give them the photos, without getting the money first?
If you did, did you have them sign a contract?
Because if they have the photos, and they signed a contract, depending what is in that contract, you could sue them for the money.

If they do not have the photos, then if I was you, just let it go. They seem to not care to have the photos.

Now if they do have the photos, then they are playing you. I understand we all at times are tight on money, but they knew about the photo shoot, it happen, they knew about the photos needing to be paid for.

:agree: :goodpost:

Never give the photos before they pay you.

If you gave them the photos and didn't get payment, I'd take them to small claims court. Warn them first though.
12 years 11 months ago #72491 by ShadowWalker
At least a 50% or some sort of deposit. Perhaps download a scare letter from Legal Zoom or something and send to them.

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #72537 by HawaiiGuy
Unless family... always deposit.

And knock on wood, not in a long time has someone not paid me.

12 years 11 months ago #72559 by effron
Personally I wouldn't spend another penny trying to collect this debt. If you already gave them the photos, you are at their mercy, and anything you spend will be good money after bad. Short of killing their dog, just mark this one off to experience and NEVER again deliver anything without at least a deposit.......:angry:

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #72567 by Rob pix4u2
I always have a contract and at least a 50% deposit before the shoot and the remaining money after the shoot/at delivery of the proofs. That way there is no confusion when the final prints are delivered

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 11 months ago #72603 by Henry Peach
One of my first portrait sessions went unpaid. It's a lesson. Now I make sure we have a contract signed and payment or deposit paid before I start shooting, and I never deliver anything without full payment made. At least for weddings and portrait sessions. Sometimes commercial work has to be billed after delivery.
12 years 11 months ago #73241 by photobod
Learned my lesson in the construction industry, its to long a story for on here but trust me I made him pay in other ways, now in photography, a fully signed contract then its 50% on booking a portrait session, 33% on booking a wedding both non returnable deposits, full payment 4 weeks before the shoot or I dont turn up. :owned:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 11 months ago #74161 by Nunya
Thank the man upstairs, because I would be @#$#@% off!!!
:)

Don't look at me, I didn't do it :)
12 years 11 months ago #74389 by pixalweb
You are doing this job for money and money is not coming easily by easy talk so, its better don't give them photos until they pay the whole amount.

12 years 11 months ago #82289 by Patty Ganahl
I'm happy to say that I've been paid for everything that I have done.

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #82295 by Johnnie
I agree with Crystal - now on a other note: Yes I have to been tricked into releasing a photo. I took a Senior's Portrait, she waited to the last day of submission and asked if I could send it to the yearbook advisor and her Mom would call in the evening to pay for the photo's she wanted. No call, No thank you for helping me out ..... just a right off!

12 years 11 months ago #82301 by kyclover237
Yup, lesson learned too. They did pay me half up front. Never paid another cent. It wasn't much so I just dropped it and let it go. Right now I am dealing with my boyfriends family. His daughter hired me to take her wedding pictures - she paid, but others expect me to just give them copies of the pictures. I don't think so.

vintagecloverphoto.com
[email protected]

12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #82305 by MLKstudios
Did some freelance work for a lady who had an art gallery on an island in FL. She showed me the magazine she was going to put the ads in, which was a high end 4-color mag.

I shot some of her jewelry and art on Fujichrome with my Hasselblad. They came out beautiful, the lighting, the background, the colors, everything. On delivery, she wrote me a check for the agreed amount.

At midnight, she calls my girlfriend all drunk (and maybe high) and complains there are NO black and whites and she's going to cancel the check. Don't know how she got her number? But we woke up early and headed to her bank.

Glad to be teaching now, and photographing only what I want.

Matthew :)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024