Can you tell what lens was used?

12 years 11 months ago #73919 by D5000
Is there a way to guesstimate what type of lens was used to take any picture?

12 years 11 months ago #73921 by Eddie
Besides looking a the EXIF data...no

12 years 11 months ago #73925 by McBeth Photography

D5000 wrote: Is there a way to guesstimate what type of lens was used to take any picture?

EXIF data. You can kinda tell if the shot was taken with wide or long tele, but, usually exif info is the best.

It is what it is.
12 years 11 months ago #73929 by MLKstudios
Yes, by the perspective. May not be exact, but you can be close.

Matthew :)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 11 months ago #73933 by D5000
What if the exif data was gone? Would there then be no way of knowing?

12 years 11 months ago #73987 by Henry Peach
It might be able to be deduced. If the only thing I have to go on is a photo I could make some educated guesses about the lens, but it's pretty tough to nail it down exactly unless there's some rare visual characteristic to the lens.

If the scene is very wide, it has to be a wide angle lens for the format. If the scene is a normal or tight angle of view we don't know what the focal length it is, because it could be cropped. We may be able to deduce that extremely shallow DOF indicates a fast lens, but there are other ways to control DOF, so it would require careful assessment of the image.

I've been using the same four or five lenses for years, and sometimes I forget which one I used for which photo. I have to look at the exif data to remember what gear I was using. :)

I'm sure there are optics forensics scientists who could use computers to help them ID characteristics of particular lenses. I just think it's beyond the ability of most folks using just their eyeballs.
12 years 11 months ago #74003 by Screamin Scott
"I have to look at the exif data to remember what gear I was using"

I use so many older MF lrnses on a D70s that doesn't capture lens info that I would have a hard time guessing the lens unless it was a macro shot. Then it would usually be my Lester Dine 105mm F2.8

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #74563 by Prago

MLKstudios wrote: Yes, by the perspective. May not be exact, but you can be close.

Matthew :)

:agree: landscape and macro as example

SWM into chainsaws and hockey masks seeks like-minded SWF. No weirdos, please
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024