More on watermarks

12 years 11 months ago #74891 by mj~shutterbugg
I have posted a bunch of work to facebook and as such have placed large garish watermarks on purpose. I had a fellow poster message me and say how bad it looks. So should I keep the garish or start using a more muted faded watermark in a corner instead of splashed across my images? Just curious.

or

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

Attachments:
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #74895 by MLKstudios
We had a thread about this not long ago (yesterday?). Anything put on the web can be stolen, no matter what precautions are taken. Using a garish watermark is one of the only ways to protect your work.

Of course, you could put them into a password protected gallery. There are ways around that too, just makes it harder.

Matthew :)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 11 months ago #74897 by mj~shutterbugg
Yeah I know. That post got me thinking (which is always dangerous) and had to ask. I figured ugly and garish would be tougher to pass off. Thanks.

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

12 years 11 months ago #75053 by photobod
I am guilty of hating huge garish watermarks as it distracts from viewing the actual photograph, it may well have been me that made that very comment, but its a personal choice and you have to go with how you feel about the subject, dont let others totaly influence you just listen and then make your own mind up.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 11 months ago #75057 by TheNissanMan
For shots you want to keep control of in this day and age the only way is to put a nice big watermark on the image unfortunately.

Guess it depends on how protective of your shots you need to be, as an amateur with no real thoughts about selling I wouldn't WM my images but if I was making a living or selling them properly then wouldn't think twice about it.

12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #75079 by chasrich
Watermarks can be edited out through cropping or even cloning. An image that contained say 50% watermark would be difficult to steal but it would also make it unattractive to view. I don't think there is a need for them at all as a security measure as it does not protect well. Posting on the internet opens that breach as wide as you allow it to. Posting a lower resolution of the image can expose the image in a way that it can be seen and enjoyed while still protecting the higher quality original image in your archives. As an advertising tool the watermark can hit it's true value by allowing someone to trace the image back to the original artist. Personally, I would go with the smaller yet still legible watermark.

It might be an interesting exercise to have someone remove your watermark to see just how well it really protects your work.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #75115 by MLKstudios
Valid point chas, but if I were looking to "steal" a butterfly photo, there are many out there, so I'd likely grab one that I didn't have to "repair" first.

But again, once it is on the web, anyone can take it.

Matthew :)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 11 months ago #75279 by crystal
I like watermarks small in the corner. More so people know it's my work and when viewing other photographer's work, I like to know who took it.

I do however have a decent size watermark placed on my photos on facebook. Now these specific photos are imported directly from zenfolio, so they are the full resolution of my photos transfer to FB. I prefer not to have full res on FB, but it's easier to just import from Zen to FB, instead of uploading from hard drive. But in reality, I don't have many photos at all on my FB, because I really don't like putting images on FB to begin with. I have a site and that is where I want people to go to view my photos.
12 years 11 months ago #75291 by qualityresults
Crystal try using Fast Stone Resizer, it reduces the picture without loss of image Quality. It is also free.

I take my 15 meg phots down to 70 kb and no loss of viewability but less likely to be stolen.

12 years 11 months ago #75347 by photobod

qualityresults wrote: Crystal try using Fast Stone Resizer, it reduces the picture without loss of image Quality. It is also free.

I take my 15 meg phots down to 70 kb and no loss of viewability but less likely to be stolen.

:agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: have been using fast stone for a while now and its very simple and quick to use, you can also watermark on there.

Like Crystal my main reason for watermarking is to let people know its my work and then follow to my website.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 11 months ago #75701 by crystal

qualityresults wrote: Crystal try using Fast Stone Resizer, it reduces the picture without loss of image Quality. It is also free.

I resize using photoshop, I create an action and use a droplet to batch resize. It's just, what is on my site, is my good stuff, so that's what I want to show off on facebook. I know, I can resize the same image and just upload, I just don't all the time. lol Thanks anyways.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024