MLK Studios vs NYIP??

12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #80045 by MLKstudios
Thanks for your post Nissan. I know $200 USD is too cheap, but I have many students who are MWAC's (mom's with a camera) and they just want cute pics of their kids. I average a new student every day, and enjoy what I do and hope I don't look like I am begging. I'm just making everyone aware of my course and the current low price.

What I cover is everything in my private intro class, plus a touch of journalism and portrait lighting (from two advanced courses). In the first couple weeks we cover the "mechanics" of photography, and then get into the art and history, along with composing an image. The Zen part is I let my students evolve into their own, and get past the camera bits. I also inspire you to become better than you first expected to be.

The real art of photography is about "seeing" (as HP has often pointed out). It is not about having fancy equipment. A good photographer can do a lot with just a 50mm lens (or ANY lens), once he (or she) has learned to SEE like a photographer.

10 years ago there was me and NYIP online. They are aware of me as they have used some of my language to promote themselves. They've also pushed the CPC (cost per click) sky high, so no one else can compete. I've survived and even flourished without paying high advertising costs.

What you get is access to the online campus, which includes the course material, a gallery to post assignments, and a forum similar to this where students meet and chat. I also give each student my "expertise". Sorry, there is no way to make that sound humble. I've been at this a long time, and know how to critique someone's work. It's often just a touch here or there or a minor adjustment of the settings. But, those little things start to add up, and soon you'll be aware of them BEFORE you press the shutter button. By week 6 I expect my students to be able to MASTER the camera and know enough about the art of photography, that their work really shines.

Matthew :)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

The topic has been locked.
12 years 10 months ago #80085 by crystal

MLKstudios wrote: I've been at this a long time, and know how to critique someone's work.

This actually made me laugh. :rofl: :rofl:
A photographer does not need to be doing photography a long time to know how to critique someone's work. For some people photography comes very natural to them. So they can learn what they need to know to get the correct exposure in a short amount of time, enough time to critique another ones work.

I critique one's work all the time for years and I have not been doing photography for as long as you. Mainly because I'm not as old as you. :)
But, anyone on this forum can crtitque another person's photo.
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #80089 by MLKstudios
Crystal, why do you bother? What have I done to upset you? You hid while the other gal bitched and then, I guess with a feeling of support, you attacked too. For what reason?

PS there is a big difference between "I like that" and telling someone what they need to do to get to the next level in photography, be it personal or technical. The technical is easy. It isn't always easy to critique someone on a personal level. And those are the things that make photography more than just "pretty pictures".

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 10 months ago #80125 by crystal

MLKstudios wrote: Crystal, why do you bother? What have I done to upset you? You hid while the other gal bitched and then, I guess with a feeling of support, you attacked too. For what reason?

PS there is a big difference between "I like that" and telling someone what they need to do to get to the next level in photography, be it personal or technical. The technical is easy. It isn't always easy to critique someone on a personal level. And those are the things that make photography more than just "pretty pictures".

I didn't hide, I am always here and always will be here. I just choose when I want to speak. :watching:

Anyone who I have gave a critique too knows I go far past the "I like that" comment.

I, myself do not like the "nice pics" comments and do not consider them a critique.
12 years 10 months ago #80137 by Lisa JK

WichWerk wrote: So I'm thinking of joining a photography school/course.

I'm doing research between NYIP and MLK who I have seen both are on this forum.
Would NYIP and MLK care to speak up about the benefits, pros, cons etc... Any info you like to give to a potential student. I already checked out the website to both schools, so please do NOT refer me to the website.

Also anyone on this forum who has taken/currently taking NYIP or MLK care to chime in our experiences with the schools?

Thanks.

I just read through this whole thread. NYIP did answer the question, glad to see they stayed out of the drama. And somewhere I think MLK also answer the question.

The reason for my post is because I myself, would love to learn more about photography. But I'm not sure if I want to sign up onto a online course, go take a actually college course or just learn what I can by forums, googling and best of all...practice.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024