MLK Studios vs NYIP??

12 years 11 months ago #78065 by photobod

NYIP wrote: To be completely honest, we're not on this forum to defend our name or sell to you guys. We're here to participate in conversations and to answer questions. Having never heard of MLK Studios personally, I can't comment on the merits of the program.

What I can say is that it seems like more of a personal preference than anything else. NYIP is 101 years old this year. We've made it this long because we know what we're doing, we do it at a good price, and we have satisfied students. If those things were not true, we would have gone out of business a long time ago.

Our programs are a little more expensive it seems than MLK, but we also provide a whole lot of materials to each and every student. That's not to say the quality is better, but we spend a whole lot of time continuously updating our courses and the materials, and we're proud of the quality of training we offer.

And no, Country gal is not a paid spokeswoman. But we do appreciate the support, and we see that kind of support from most of our students and graduates. So thank you!

Well said NYIP, I havent seen you in the threads much but then I dont go in every thread, but I do like the supporting Vendors that are active within the forum, your expertise is most welcome.
The Country Gal thing is nothing for anybody to worry about, I feel that maybe she has done your course and felt the need to support you, she just didnt do it the friendliest of ways.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

The topic has been locked.
12 years 11 months ago #78067 by Baydream

crystal wrote:

Baydream wrote: I'm certainly glad that NYIP chimed in on the discussion. It will take some time to sort thought the options and techniques used to determine the better option for many people.

In a way, I don't think Country Girl's comments were meant to be offensive but more a reaction to the Hollywood "slickness" of some of Matthew's comments. That does put some people off.
I attended a one-day workshop with Bill and Lind Lane about a year ago. Their "mantra" was only shoot in manual and only with a tripod. I found that their opinions were so self-centric that it really discouraged me from attending their week-log workshops,

Matthew, I appreciate many of your comments but at times feel a little put off at your self promotion and seemingly rigid opinions. When someone tells me I have to have this lens or that, or I must buy this tripod or that, I get the feeling that that person is a bit too biased to be truly instructive. Just a personal view based on years of observing people.

My decision at this point is, neither. Both seem to have their merits but each has it's drawbacks.

:agree: completely.

Thanks, Crystal. I was hoping not to come of as being overly critical but simply looking for a balanced discussion. As I mentioned in another thread, I am looking to improve/learn specific areas of photography and am not looking for a soup-to-nuts program.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #78071 by MLKstudios
Baydream,

What area (or areas) are you interested in?

Matthew :)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 11 months ago #78087 by Baydream

MLKstudios wrote: Baydream,

I am working on macro right now, then MAYBE studio lighting (that would not be until fall).

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #78091 by photobod

Baydream wrote:

I am working on macro right now, then MAYBE studio lighting (that would not be until fall).

Macro is a subject that I would like to get into more and Studio lighting I am fortunate to have developed that skill for a few years now.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 11 months ago #78103 by crystal

Baydream wrote:

IMO, with macro, I don't think it could so much be taught as to like umm I guess studio portrait for instance. With macro photography, after you learn photography itself...ISO, DOF, shutter etc... and know that with macro you need either a macro lens, screw on lens or reverse a lens, it's then all up to the photographer if they can create a macro shot.

Anything can be photograph as a macro photo, because even if it's not an interesting subject like a bug or a flower, if one gets close enough, it could become an interesting abstract art.

One thing I do have to say for those who want to get into macro, but not sure what to shoot. Look at images of other macro photography (it will inspire you). Also take the lens and just go out and get really close to whatever you see. Even if you think the subject from far away is boring.....you just never know close up.
12 years 11 months ago #78105 by crystal
:)

Baydream wrote:

crystal wrote:

Baydream wrote: I'm certainly glad that NYIP chimed in on the discussion. It will take some time to sort thought the options and techniques used to determine the better option for many people.

In a way, I don't think Country Girl's comments were meant to be offensive but more a reaction to the Hollywood "slickness" of some of Matthew's comments. That does put some people off.
I attended a one-day workshop with Bill and Lind Lane about a year ago. Their "mantra" was only shoot in manual and only with a tripod. I found that their opinions were so self-centric that it really discouraged me from attending their week-log workshops,

Matthew, I appreciate many of your comments but at times feel a little put off at your self promotion and seemingly rigid opinions. When someone tells me I have to have this lens or that, or I must buy this tripod or that, I get the feeling that that person is a bit too biased to be truly instructive. Just a personal view based on years of observing people.

My decision at this point is, neither. Both seem to have their merits but each has it's drawbacks.

:agree: completely.

Thanks, Crystal. I was hoping not to come of as being overly critical but simply looking for a balanced discussion. As I mentioned in another thread, I am looking to improve/learn specific areas of photography and am not looking for a soup-to-nuts program.

You are welcome. I decided to keep my mouth shut yesterday, as I didn't want to come off rude, but you pretty much said exactly what I was thinking and reply in a nicer way, then I could have.
12 years 11 months ago #78113 by Baydream

crystal wrote:

Baydream wrote:

IMO, with macro, I don't think it could so much be taught as to like umm I guess studio portrait for instance. With macro photography, after you learn photography itself...ISO, DOF, shutter etc... and know that with macro you need either a macro lens, screw on lens or reverse a lens, it's then all up to the photographer if they can create a macro shot.

Anything can be photograph as a macro photo, because even if it's not an interesting subject like a bug or a flower, if one gets close enough, it could become an interesting abstract art.

One thing I do have to say for those who want to get into macro, but not sure what to shoot. Look at images of other macro photography (it will inspire you). Also take the lens and just go out and get really close to whatever you see. Even if you think the subject from far away is boring.....you just never know close up.

Crystal - Thanks for the input on macro. I think your advice and some online research will get me where I need to go. Our club will be on a shoot Saturday with three stops at flora locations plus an historic site so I should get some practice, especially being with some experienced macro folks.

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #78117 by MLKstudios
I'm a macro fan too, with many years of shooting both (macro and studio lighting).

I would like to add, that I don't force my own style on anyone. I've had teachers like that and find it the wrong way to teach. In fact, I don't have pics on my site to copy. Just assignments where you make your own. Of course there is some guidance behind them, but I never tell you WHAT to shoot.

I started photography in High School, and have had some really good and some really bad teachers along the way. My "Zen-like" method is about getting past the camera -- i.e. the camera settings, etc. So only YOUR vision is the goal. The best teachers I've had taught me that way. Once you know how to operate a camera, what do you want to do with that knowledge?

FYI my own education cost over $100K and many, many years (way before the internet). The reason I charge so little, is because the economy is bad right now, and I know what it is like to be JSO (Just Starting Out). You typically don't have a lot of money to spend, and I'd rather teach many than just a wealthy few. Plus, I think what I teach (and how) is important. It makes people realize there is a lot more to being called a pro than what many people think, and helps makes our trade more respectable. Not a "fake it till you make it" attitude, I've seen others profess.

I don't spend nearly as much as NYIP does on advertising, so I don't have to charge their high prices. Most all of my students come from referrals of past students. And I have many.

The only two pieces of equipment I recommend are the 50mm ('cause it is a cheap prime to start with) and later an "on-camera" flash. It's a tool we use to control contrast. Digital is similar to slide (or chrome) films and has a narrow contrast range (or Dynamic Range in digital-speak). Only a few DSLRs come close to film in latitude, and those are the more expensive ones. Not something a typical beginner has at hand.

Also, I give you 6 months to finish an 8-week course. Some take longer than that as it includes a lot of information. I had to add a "renewal" fee due to past students asking to be re-enrolled 5 or more years after starting. I wasn't so sure it was for them or someone else. It's not a high priced renewal.

And there is more than myself behind MLK Studios. I have a biz manager, a web admin, and other "helpers". The good thing is that I'm the one giving my students their critiques. Not some lackey. And I've been doing this a very long time (over 20 years). It is a very personal student/teacher relationship you get from me. I can help you go in ANY direction you choose.

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #78133 by MLKstudios
Something HP said I think needs repeating, is what makes a photograph stand out from others are the design elements common to all forms of art. These can be applied to ALL styles of photography, including macro. As Dewitt says, from a good frame to a great frame!

BTW Sorry if I come across as a "know it all". That's not my intent. I was too humble before, and maybe overcompensating a bit. I'll try to find a nice balance.

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #79821 by MLKstudios
Just a "heads up" for everyone. My $199.99 Super Sale is going to end in a week. I probably won't take it back to $495 (the economy is still in stress) but it won't be under $200 again for a long, long time (if ever).

If you do the assignments, I can guarantee you WILL know what a professional photographer knows, and it will help you with your career (in any direction). I am always available to my students for questions and they get answered quickly.

To become a pro doesn't take fancy equipment. It does take approaching your work professionally.

Knowledge is key.

PS I offer a full refund for any reason in the first 10 days, so there is no risk. If my teaching style doesn't work for, you can apply that to NYIP (or Betterphoto.com).

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 10 months ago #79911 by crystal

MLKstudios wrote: Just a "heads up" for everyone. My $199.99 Super Sale is going to end in a week. I probably won't take it back to $495 (the economy is still in stress) but it won't be under $200 again for a long, long time (if ever).

If you do the assignments, I can guarantee you WILL know what a professional photographer knows, and it will help you with your career (in any direction). I am always available to my students for questions and they get answered quickly.

To become a pro doesn't take fancy equipment. It does take approaching your work professionally.

Knowledge is key.

PS I offer a full refund for any reason in the first 10 days, so there is no risk. If my teaching style doesn't work for, you can apply that to NYIP (or Betterphoto.com).

Seeing the drama this thread had started, why did you reply to this thread to announce your sale??? Just to start more shit?
If you must announce your suppose discounts, start a new thread.
I just love this... "it won't be under $200 again for a long, long time (if ever)." Such a way to get more students. Almost like a threat. People see oh my, it's really cheap right now and probably will never be that cheap again, I should run as fast as I can and sign up.

"If you do the assignments, I can guarantee you WILL know what a professional photographer knows"....students will know what you know. That's as far as that goes.

BTW, You must not be that good of a teacher, because you are busy on this forum instead of having students to teach.

Oh I just love how you add other schools (NYIP, Betterphoto) if students do not like your way of teaching. :ohmy:
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #79923 by MLKstudios
I pay to be a "vendor" here. That gives me the right to announce my classes. Nothing more, nothing less. If you don't want to take the course, that's fine by me.

Thanks for being supportive.

:)

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 10 months ago #79927 by TheNissanMan
The fun of the internet forum, especially with two compete products/sponsors/ideas, isn't a heated discussion fun?

Being new to the forum can I ask what qualifications you actually get from either party and how widely recognised they are?

I see mentions of diploma's are these internationally recognised or are they local things?

I admit to not knowing prices from accross the pond but $200 for a diploma that is worth anything seems excessively cheap no matter how bad the economy is or am I missing the point here somewhere.

12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #79937 by MLKstudios
My school is not accredited and can only offer a "certificate". But, no one will hire you based on a certificate or a diploma. It's your portfolio of work that matters.

PS I've looked into becoming accredited, and would have to charge a lot more for the same training. Again, I believe what I teach is important and try to make it accesible to everyone. It's sharing the knowledge that counts most, to me.

I only charge because the world demands I make money. If someone else paid for my rent, food & etc. I'd do it for free.

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024