Quick question on what you charge for photo shoot pricing:

12 years 11 months ago #79611 by Gammill
I've been asked to shoot a engagement and a engagement party of roughly 75 people (at the party).

I have very limited experience with this sort of shoot. How much would you charge for this and what would you offer?

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #79617 by ozman1865
Hello,

First off I am new to the charging part of this side of photography. with that said. my first question would have to be what does the client want from the shoot. is the consentration of photos being of the couple or of the 75 in the party. New question would have to be do you use a lab to process your photos, and if so what are your costs per print. you would need to establish a margin you are wanting to make from each print and book or package they are after. I have done several shoots that required me to establish different packages which offer different stuff in them. I currently am a zenfolio web page owner and using mpix for my processing have established that I have many opitions and pricing structures to accomadate most things I have encounters thus far. I have also through zenfolio used several of the vendors they use to make books and other products like coffee mugs and such.

Okay this is not a ploy to get you to try zenfolio or anything like that but just stateing my approach to this problem. You need to figure out what your worth is on an hourly basis also and charge for the so called setting fee which is really a charge for service rather than the setting. LOL anyway. I myself have caught myself saying I haven't done that so I am not sure I should attempt it. I am still that way with weddings as there are so many can't miss shots in a wedding I am not sure I could pull it off.... and I am looking for someone willing to let me shoot as a second so I can learn the ropes a bit first.

So what this all comes down too is ....... your value of your ability. ........ what you feel you can accomplish with taking on this task. and will it allow you to grow more in your endevors. you will come to find out just by doing you will come away with experience and know better how to approach it the next time. It has never been said that you start with a price and you have to stick to it for your career. Keep in mind it is just like education you have to pay something for it wether it be time or money. you are given an oppertuity to get experience and knowledge for your time....... that is a pretty good trade off..... so in my experience I would probably set a low established fee nominal depending on time of on location. and negate the processing time. the more shots you get to work with from a shoot means the better you get with the workflow of process. Okay I didn't give you a value to look at but maybe I gave you some insite to how I would approach it. Make expenses and take the rest as oppertunity. sounds like you have a bit of time working on pricing and value of your time dont fret about things if they have seen your products and have asked you to shoot their event that is already in your favor. Price is just a negotiation. smile say this is what I want to do it. you can read there expression and you will know if it is enough or too much. and remember you can barter just as well as anyone and get to their price range and still make money. well okay I let this drag on a bit but hope it helped I will keep an eye on this one just so I can see what others might think also so I can expand my thoughts about how to figure out what to charge.....

Jeff Frazell Photography

12 years 11 months ago #79933 by crystal
Charge per hour or charge an amount for the first 90mins and add an addtional cost per 30mins (or an hour) afterwards.

No one really can tell you how much to charge. Only you can determine that based on your experience. You could charge $25/hr, $50/hr etc...

You could tell the client, they can hire you for 2hrs for $100. If it takes longer then 2hrs, charge $25 per every 30mins you are there. (this price is an example).

Now how the client gets their pictures. It will be easier on you, if you do not print the photos. You may, but IMO, it's more of a hazzle now a days.
I have this feeling, the client would probably want pictures on CD. If you are ok with that, burn high res (not full res, never give the orginal size photo to the client). Charge a decent amount for that CD. Remember, they will have these pictures on a CD up until the CD is no longer readable (and if they copy the pics to the computer). So they can print and reprint as often as they like. So a min of $100 for the CD at best.

If they do not want the CD and want actualy prints. Either you can make a contact sheet, for them to choose what photos they want and then you get printed.

Or you can sign up to Zenfolio, place all photos on the site, make a client gallery, it can be password protected, and give it to the client. Anyone from that party can access this gallery and order the photos they want. Zen will print and ship the photos to the client.

No matter which way you go, put a time limit on when the client needs to order their pictures. 1 week before it expires, let the client know. When it expires (if you put the photos on zen or smiliar site) take the photos down or at least lock the gallery out from the client.

Make sure you have a contract. You want what you need to shoot, what you will charge, a deposit from them etc... all in writing.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024