Better way to sell my photography prints online

12 years 11 months ago #79641 by JackHornik
Hey guys,

I'm working on a website that will make it easy for photographers to sell high-quality prints to the public, and I wanted to get everyone's feedback.

Some background: I'm a web developer who is pretty heavily into photography. I have tried using some of the other art/photography marketplaces out there, but they are either too much hassle or too low quality (i.e. I want high-quality paper and NO, I do not want my photos on a t-shirt).

On our site, photographers simply upload high-res photos (you retain all copyrights, of course), and we display them for people to browse. When someone buys a print, we take care of the printing, shipping, and payment processing for you. We want to take the pain out of selling quality prints, and hopefully also get more exposure for photographers.

What do you think? Is this something that resonates with you as well?

Also, if you'd like more info or are interested in selling prints with us, please send me an email at:
[email protected]

Thanks,
Jack

12 years 11 months ago #79645 by chasrich
:welcomeclan Nice to meet you Jack.

Did you want to become a regular visitor here or did you just drop in to give us this pitch? I hope to see more of your posts and maybe some photos... :thumbsup:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 11 months ago #79647 by JackHornik
Well, I'm new, but I do hope to immerse myself in the community and post photos soon.

Nice to meet you as well. :)

12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #79791 by MLKstudios
I think it is a good idea for those who want to sell their work and not get a business license and all the other "stuff" that goes with. I'm sure they will take a percentage, but they also take away all the hassle. And a good web presentation can make a lot of difference.

As for the "pitch", we live in a capitalistic world. Russia and China are now capitalist countries, and marketing is a big part of it. It's up to you to decide if it is something that would be beneficial to you, or not. You can take it or leave it.

Matthew :)

PS chas, I do understand your point of him sounding like a "drive by". People who want business from members here should earn it.

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 11 months ago #79817 by DestinDave
:agree: :goodpost:
Well-said Matthew!

Dave Speicher
I thought I wanted a career.. turns out I only wanted paychecks.
dlspeicher.zenfolio.com

12 years 11 months ago #79917 by crystal

JackHornik wrote: Hey guys,

I'm working on a website that will make it easy for photographers to sell high-quality prints to the public, and I wanted to get everyone's feedback.

Some background: I'm a web developer who is pretty heavily into photography. I have tried using some of the other art/photography marketplaces out there, but they are either too much hassle or too low quality (i.e. I want high-quality paper and NO, I do not want my photos on a t-shirt).

On our site, photographers simply upload high-res photos (you retain all copyrights, of course), and we display them for people to browse. When someone buys a print, we take care of the printing, shipping, and payment processing for you. We want to take the pain out of selling quality prints, and hopefully also get more exposure for photographers.

What do you think? Is this something that resonates with you as well?

Also, if you'd like more info or are interested in selling prints with us, please send me an email at:
[email protected]

Thanks,
Jack

You're idea is already...been there done that. Zenfolio, Photoshelter, I think Smugmug etc... It's fine you want to start another site, but that idea is nothing new.
12 years 11 months ago #79919 by crystal

MLKstudios wrote: PS chas, I do understand your point of him sounding like a "drive by". People who want business from members here should earn it.

Like You?
Become a member to this site, then after a few posts, become a sponsor to photographytalk and now you feel the need you have to blast your school on this forum. You think you earn the right, because you post everyday in most of the threads.
12 years 11 months ago #79931 by TheNissanMan
I think the biggest problem you would have is that it has already been done many times, Redbubble etc or without the printing alamy or istock for example.

The problem I would have if I were a serious hobbiest trying to make money while leaving the door open to become more serious later in life if I wished to do so is trusting a third party with print quality and deliveries.

I work in the motor industry which is heavily focussed on Customer Satisfaction, taking that into photography and my product (ie the print) I would want to be 110% with the quality and level of service the customer recivieved if it had my name to it.

12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #79983 by Henry Peach

JackHornik wrote: On our site, photographers simply upload high-res photos (you retain all copyrights, of course), and we display them for people to browse. When someone buys a print, we take care of the printing, shipping, and payment processing for you. We want to take the pain out of selling quality prints, and hopefully also get more exposure for photographers.

It sounds like services that are typically offered by many labs, and online sites that are middle-men between the labs and photographers, these days. While some re low quality, and economy consumer oriented, many are or have partnerships with pro labs that have multi-decade reputations in the industry. How is your service different? Does it offer something I can't get elsewhere?

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024