In the days of the darkroom....

12 years 11 months ago #80087 by goli
I understand the reason for no lights.. but what was the reason for having a red light? Was it only to see? or did it help develop the film?

12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #80111 by MLKstudios
Most film is "panchromatic". It can see all the colors in a rainbow. Once the film is processed, it was simply black and white and doesn't need to see colors anymore.

The paper we used (for black and white) is "orthochromatic" or not sensitive to red wavelengths (of light). So we could turn on a red light and were able to see what we were doing without fogging the paper.

Matthew :)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 11 months ago #80115 by cod
The red "safelight" is for the photographer to be able to see what he's doing. Black and white papers generally are sensitive to higher frequencies of light and not very sensitive to lower red frequencies, so low levels of red light allow the developer to see what he's doing without significantly affecting the exposure on the paper when making b&w prints. Undeveloped film handling, however, has to behandled in complete darkness. Similarly, colour print paper is sensitive to all colours so must be kept in darkness until the print is fixed. I believe there are some specific reddish lights that can be used with colour paper if they are of low enough power and kept far enough away from the print area, but I've never used them. In my darkroom days I loaded film and did colour prints in the dark, and used a typical red safelight for b&w printing.

Chris O'Donoghue
Winnipeg, Canada
codonoghue.prosite.com

12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #80461 by Henry Peach
No light for film. Red light for BW prints. Really dim amber light for RA-4 color paper. The safelight is for the photographer's vision. There are colored filters in the enlarger that adjust the color of the light used in printing. Getting correct color in a photo requires the right filter combo. Variable contrast BW paper is sensitive to various colors of light, and can be used to lower or raise contrast.

Once I was locked in my darkroom with my hands full of sheets of 4x5 film I was tray developing. It was pitch black. Something began chewing loudly behind me. I just had to sit in the dark shuffling the film, and hoping it wasn't coming for me next. I never could figure out what it was or what it was eating when the lights came on. It happened several times over the course of a week, and then whatever it was moved on. :toocrazy:
12 years 11 months ago #80465 by MLKstudios
No wonder you bring duct tape now!

:)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 11 months ago #80515 by icepics
I bought some darkroom items as a lot and ended up w/some old photo paper - that expired in the 60s, even the 30s (which I've been experimenting with to do lumen or sun prints). Some of these indicate whether to use red or amber light for that particular paper.

With newer multigrade papers I'm not sure if it matters so much for basic black and white; I was using a darkroom at a local university that started phasing out that program (which is why I'm collecting items to set up my own darkroom) and I think it had an amber satelight in the part of the darkroom w/the print stations. So we could see and not run into each other going from the enlarger to the sink!

When I started out there taking a weeklong workshop we were learning how to develop film and were standing in the pitch dark passing a can opener to the next person so we could each pop open our film canisters. (Later I was like - can't the university spring for a couple more $1 can openers??)

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #80539 by effron

goli wrote: I understand the reason for no lights.. but what was the reason for having a red light? Was it only to see? or did it help develop the film?

Hell, I know I had a red light, but that was a long time ago....;)
The above are correct, only B&W printing, everything else in the complete dark.......

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #80557 by John Landolfi
:ohmy: :rofl: :rofl: great story , Matt.

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #80643 by Graflex 4x5
Hate to trample some toes here, but 'back in the day' there were orthochromatic films, mostly used for press work and you did use a red safelight at least 4 ft from the film. Dark rooms at the newspapers were busy places and you couldn't have a couple of guys stumbling around in a blacked out room.

Kodak stopped making their ortho films a while ago, but ADOX and Rolli are making film in 35 mm, 70 mm and 4 x 5 cut film. And if you can find a doctor or hospital that hasn't gone digital, X-ray films are ortho.

No matter how fast I go, there's always someone slower in front of me.
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #80969 by Henry Peach

Graflex 4x5 wrote: ...but 'back in the day' there were orthochromatic films...

Sure, there are always exceptions to the norm. Pyro developers use a dim green light to inspect film development. My darkroom safelights are mid-20th century Kodak brand models. They came with dozens of different filters.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024