Honest critique

12 years 10 months ago #81337 by crystal

TheNissanMan wrote: Exactly my point, if a photo is posted and is a crap shot would it not be better to say why rather than rub someones ego and pretend it's the best thing since sliced bread :)

:agree: Although I have found, some people can only handle "rub my ego". They can not handle the truth. The negatives about the photo. And not willing to learn how to make it better. They think, nothing is wrong with their photo. These people, I believe need the critique more then anyone else.
12 years 10 months ago #81341 by crystal

MLKstudios wrote: But, I would never give a tough critique to someone I don't know in an open forum.

You simply don't know them well enough to cut to the bone. A good example is a mother who took a photo of their "adorable" baby. What if the image literally sucks. Are YOU going to tell her that? I wouldn't.

My 2¢ :)

I would.
If the mother asked for a honest critque, of a photo she took of her baby. Yes I will flat out give her my honest critque. If not, I'm just being like everyone else (you included, from the sounds of it) that simply says "nice pic".
Now if this mother, posted the photo of her baby, just to display not for critique....then and only then I will not critique it. Because she did not ask it.
IMO, it's not about the subject of the photo, it's not about the photographer...it's about how to help one become better (if that is what the photographer wants). Some people simply want to have fun shooting and in no hurry to learn how to shoot better.
12 years 10 months ago #81343 by crystal

mj~shutterbugg wrote: I also posted a portrait of my niece and did get some advice that will be useable for next time. That's my goal, education, growth, improvement.

I guess when I am asking for a crit I am used to Crystal's style and want it clear and concise. I put on my big girl panties for a crit post. I try to also post my critique requests in the crit forums as I thought that is where everyone went to get advice. I can post them under general photo as well. I guess this is me saying feel free to honestly, constructively crit any of my works I post for critique ;)

Thank you. :thumbsup: IMO, I think you should stick with placing the photos in the critique section. Alex made that section for a reason. I don't see harm in posting photos all over the forum...as it is a photography forum.

BTW, I would be more then happy to crtique your work, I just been busy with life lately, haven't made it to the critque section in awhile.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mj~shutterbugg
12 years 10 months ago #81355 by TheNissanMan
In terms of cutting to the bone, if the post states why you do not like an image then it shouldn't really cut that deep, it's not as if your posting a simple thats crap....

Photogrpahy as with any form of art is personal, I may look at an image and go wow, someone else may hate it, as long as both parties say why then if your not man (or woman) enough to take it personally don't think you should be posting on a tog forum to learn.

12 years 10 months ago #81379 by MLKstudios
Not all art is personal, but it is our creation -- our child. Some may be very connected to a landscape they took. They put a lot of themselves into it, including suffering hardships along the way. But, if it fails, and your reply "sounds" flippant in any way, then you can hurt their feelings.

And you don't know, in advance, how they feel about their work, or enough about their character to be critical. Even if your critique is valid, it could destroy them.

:)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #81383 by TheNissanMan

MLKstudios wrote: Not all art is personal, but it is our creation -- our child. Some may be very connected to a landscape they took. They put a lot of themselves into it, including suffering hardships along the way. But, if it fails, and your reply "sounds" flippant in any way, then you can hurt their feelings.

And you don't know, in advance, how they feel about their work, or enough about their character to be critical. Even if your critique is valid, it could destroy them.

:)

If the photo is posted in the critique section which looking at this forum setup all the subject headings are under then epexct critique on a photo...

If you were teaching a mild mannered person you couldn't pussy foot around someone forever saying well it's an improvement all day long.

12 years 10 months ago #81387 by MLKstudios
Each person is different, and needs to be taught differently. For some of my students I do walk softly. Others I know can take a punch. We can't project our own character traits on others -- i.e. "They can take it with a grain of salt". Maybe they can, and maybe not.

Among us are people who think their work is really good when it simply isn't. When hit by that reality, it can cause mental shock. Their vision of themselves gets shaken.

I know -- it's "just a picture". But, like I said above, it can mean a lot to the person who took it. And again, any GOOD work, should have a piece of YOU in it.

4¢ this time. :)

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 10 months ago #81427 by photobod
For me if you put your photos up there then you have to be prepared for some flack, however there is good criticism and bad criticism, simply saying thats crap or thats rubbish, is unhelpful and rude,
simply saying thats good or thats nice likewise isnt helpful, unless of course you are there only to look and admire as on occasions I do.
Its constructive criticism that people want, where did I go wrong or right, how do I move on, what can I do to improve.
If you want a perfect example of what I mean just see what Crystal does, she is honest, forthright, truthful, straight forward but helpful, she tells you how to improve, I have had Crystal critique my photos and I have gone on to improve, thats what critiques are about.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 10 months ago #81429 by Rob pix4u2
Sometimes the truth hurts, sometimes not. If I turn out a so so piece of work that needs improvement I expect honest criticism and not namby pamby critique. As always I provide an example to illustrate my point when someone asks a general question needing clarification, I feel this is only a learning tool that helps the OP. BTW what do Y'all think of this pic from my album that I took in Alaska ?

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

Attachments:
12 years 10 months ago #81437 by MLKstudios
That's good.

;)

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #81467 by Aroon Kalandy
The problem exists with almost all forums.The thing mainly is you pat my back and I will pat yours. good for the ego but as a photographer no gain at all.

A special thread perhaps where you post your images and you get the honest opinion, good or bad.One can also hold polls of of the images submitted.

At least in my case I can say I improved because one of my close contacts had the guts to tell me certain drawbacks of an image of mine.(On flickr) I never again uploaded an image without considering it many times........
12 years 10 months ago #81513 by TheNissanMan
One solution another forum has come up with is to have a drop down option when posting the photo sections that stipulates that someone wants crit, would imagine with most forum packages that would be something easy to incorporate.

12 years 10 months ago #81779 by cod
I first heard of PhotographyTalk elsewhere on the net a couple of months ago, where it was put forward as an excellent forum to learn about photography. My initial explorations did not support that view since I looked mostly at the photo critiques and decided that they weren't generally very helpful, for all the reasons given in previous posts. I've since learned that there is a lot more than that on this forum, have joined in, and I think PhotographyTalk really is excellent. I've been able to offer my 2 cents worth on some topics and have learned a lot from reading others' wisdom. I do still think though, that photo critiquing is a weak point.

I also participate in the Nature Photographers Network , where photo critiques have also been discussed in depth. This article and this discussion have some valuable things to say about the nature of good critique and can add to the mix here.

Regards,
Chris

Chris O'Donoghue
Winnipeg, Canada
codonoghue.prosite.com

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024